Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
They look really good. And it doesn't seem as though having M brakes are a hindrance to fitting AT tires on OEM wheels?

My use case is going to be as a DD with very short trips to work (about a mile each way), along with 350 mile round trips about 2 weekends a month, the occasional 900 mile road trip every couple of months, and exploring lots of outdoor places for hiking, etc, which will be anywhere from 45 min to 90 min trips each way on some weekends.
I live about 7k feet above sea level in the mountains as a fyi.

Ergo, I'm going with 20" wheels so I can fit some 275 AT tires on there and get rid of the RF's.......... perhaps after about a year or so (haven't decided on that one).
To make AT tires work on the X drive system, I know I can't have staggered wheels, and I thought I had to opt out of the M brakes as wel, but that doesn't seem to be the case looking at your set up.

That's the other reason I'm not sure the M50 -- with that added power-- makes a lot of sense for me. But damn, would it be fun to be able to have perhaps one of the last of the TT V8's and still be able to make it somewhat off road capable.
Couple of clarifications on your comments.

1. 2NH M Sport brakes doesn't have bearing on your tire selection - summer performance/all-season/snow, only wheel size as long as it clears the brake calipers.

The smallest factory wheel size that will clear the factory brakes is 9Jx19 ET38 eg BMW Style 735:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...EEL---TIRE-SET

2. You can have staggered 20" wheels 9" front 275/45R20 x 10.5" rear 305/40R20 as this is the staggered set for international markets - as the overall wheel + tire diameter is identical front and rear.

As long as your overall wheel + tire diameter is within 1% front and rear, there are no xDrive issues.
Does that mean 18" wheels won't work on an X5 45e? I have the 19" Alenza RFs with 25,000 miles on them. I'm thinking about what next when it's their time to go. Planning some trips up into northern NM, AZ and CO, so looking at ATs or All Weathers. Can't find any in 19", only 18 or 20".
Appreciate 0