GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
I'm definitely doing the math in my head if this is worth doing. I decoded my vin last night and confirmed the deletion. I've got warranty concerns, but this could be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

In order to deny a warranty claim they would have to show that the changing of the screen and/or coding caused the problem you are having. That probably could only be done if you are actually having problems with the screen itself. Just keep the old and switch if needed.
This is completely untrue:

BMWNA can deny any warranty work (i.e., dealership service work reimbursement) at any time for any reason as there is no requirement BMWNA prove anything to anyone to deny warranty work, nor is BMWNA required to get any pre-approval to deny warranty reimbursement; like the touchscreen delete, they will just simply do it.

It's at that point - where BMWNA denies your warranty work - that your remedy as a customer is to sue BMWNA (and/or publicize it). During that lawsuit you'll have the opportunity to present your case (including Moss-Mag type arguments which will make your case worse frankly), but here are the problems with that:

(1.) To present your case you have to get to court first
That'll take awhile because BMWNA's attorneys will move for continuances over & over for years to "gather data". In the meantime, your car is your evidence so probably should sit idle so you can prove the exact state it was in for service.

(2.) BMWNA has all the engineers & the data
While you have almost nothing - you can hire professional witnesses, but that's pretty expensive for probably not much

(3.) Judges know Moss-Mag was designed for routine repairs
That is, the law was designed to prevent, say, GM from requiring an owner only using price-jacked "certified GM parts" for routine repairs, thus screwing them out of affordable transpo. People with BMWs doing touchscreen mods probably don't fall into that bucket and judges probably won't have much sympathy, but that's speculative

What you're doing is fantastic - and impressive! - but you're right to believe it does come with warranty risk.

If it's this easy, it's also disappointing BMWNA doesn't simply offer a retrofit.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-19-2021 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 3
omasou2089.00
c12h231.00