Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-12-2024, 12:55 AM   #1
Markymarkk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Track driving mode suggestion

I did my first HPDE event with my F80 ZCP and loved every second of it. Definitely something I want to pursue and get into more. Only mods I have right now are pads, castrol SRF fluid and MPHAS.

I had an instrcutor for 4 sessions and at the end of the day I received great remarks and the only critique I was given was to be more gentle with throttle acceleration and especially with deceleration. I had the engine and suspension in sport plus, comfort steering and DCT in S3. I felt it was kind of difficult to make letting off the throttle and apply threshold braking a smooth experience.

My question is I’ve seen some forum posts that people drive in sport on the track but do you ever run into temp issues since you don’t have that extra cooling that you get from sport+? Im in the Phoenix area so my concern is these desert temps while on the track in sport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 03:18 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

First, congrats on your first HPDE! Mine was 36 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Only problem with this hobby/sport is high $$$$$.

I’m 99.9% certain that your instructor is talking about the DCT setting. The S3 exaggerated torque kick with each upshift change can be pretty violent especially for the passenger. It’s a nice feature for the street but not needed at the track. As a great example, BimmerWorld races/raced their f82 GT4s in DCT setting S2 and they’ve always said S2 is just as fast as S3 without the torque kick. You will not be losing any lap time by using S2.

Engine and suspension settings are all up to you. However, Sport+ throttle sensitivity is a bit too high for the track and the lower Sport setting just means you have to physically press the throttle pedal down more to reach the same throttle input. This helps you with being smooth on track and the saying is “smooth is fast”. Give DCT S2 and Sport engine throttle settings and see what you think about it. At a minimum, switch to DCT setting S2.
Appreciate 3
      05-12-2024, 10:58 AM   #3
Markymarkk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
First, congrats on your first HPDE! Mine was 36 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Only problem with this hobby/sport is high $$$$$.

I’m 99.9% certain that your instructor is talking about the DCT setting. The S3 exaggerated torque kick with each upshift change can be pretty violent especially for the passenger. It’s a nice feature for the street but not needed at the track. As a great example, BimmerWorld races/raced their f82 GT4s in DCT setting S2 and they’ve always said S2 is just as fast as S3 without the torque kick. You will not be losing any lap time by using S2.

Engine and suspension settings are all up to you. However, Sport+ throttle sensitivity is a bit too high for the track and the lower Sport setting just means you have to physically press the throttle pedal down more to reach the same throttle input. This helps you with being smooth on track and the saying is “smooth is fast”. Give DCT S2 and Sport engine throttle settings and see what you think about it. At a minimum, switch to DCT setting S2.
I appreciate the response! Already looking at Girodisc as my next upgrade just because my stock rotors are warped slightly and can tell that brakes and tires are going to be a pretty common wear item. I’ll definitely switch to the S2 setting next event and then try the sport engine mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:04 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markymarkk View Post
I appreciate the response! Already looking at Girodisc as my next upgrade just because my stock rotors are warped slightly and can tell that brakes and tires are going to be a pretty common wear item. I’ll definitely switch to the S2 setting next event and then try the sport engine mode.
I’m 99.9% certain your rotors are not warped. There are non-uniform pad deposits on the rotor surface. Drive with the 08 for a couple-few weeks, depending on the number of stops/mileage, and then try rebedding the pads and your rotors will no longer vibrate when you apply the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:56 AM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

My fav combo is sport throttle, comfort steering, and S2

Don’t be afraid to even try efficient throttle, you will have more throttle control in that mode.

Don’t worry about over heating, the aux coolers turn on in any throttle mode when you reach a temp threshold. Sport+ just has them on all the time. Ultimately there is no practical difference when you’re driving hard.
      05-12-2024, 05:04 PM   #6
Markymarkk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m 99.9% certain your rotors are not warped. There are non-uniform pad deposits on the rotor surface. Drive with the 08 for a couple-few weeks, depending on the number of stops/mileage, and then try rebedding the pads and your rotors will no longer vibrate when you apply the brakes.
Sounds good, I’ll try rebedding the pads if the vibrations are still there after a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
My fav combo is sport throttle, comfort steering, and S2

Don’t be afraid to even try efficient throttle, you will have more throttle control in that mode.

Don’t worry about over heating, the aux coolers turn on in any throttle mode when you reach a temp threshold. Sport+ just has them on all the time. Ultimately there is no practical difference when you’re driving hard.

Good to know about the aux coolers coming on when at temps, I’ll for sure give sport a try then!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 01:16 AM   #7
mirahadk
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Welcome to the track party! Beautiful F80! I started about 3 years in my F80 and ran it with only rb600, ds3.12 pads, apex wheel with track tires for most of this time.It was DD until recently. I am also in Phoenix. We are quite lucky here to have so many tracks around us and great weather to run a decent part of the year.

Cooling on these is quite good and I have not had engine overheating issues even on hot days while running bmw oil on sport or sport+ for 30 min sessions. Usually its the tires that need a cooldown lap or two. Blackstone oil analysis was great at about 5000 mile interval. I now run redline 5w40 for even more peace of mind.

After experimenting and trying to optimize the same things that you and others mention here, I also arrived at running sport engine/ comfort steering and dct s2. Dct s3 is too jerky without adding much in terms of laptime and speed. I am guessing it probably adds more strain to the drivetrain too. The gts flash is a big improvement but I still run at s2.

Like M3SQRD said you probably just have pad deposits and will improve with a couple weeks of street driving on cold track pads. What pads are you running? Some tracks are harder on brakes and tires such as AMP. An inexpensive mod that I wish I had done earlier is the brake deflector kit from Bimmerworld. Stock brakes are quite good as long as you can manage the temps. Taking the dust shields off with deflectors made a big impact on my brake temps and consistency but the deflectors would help even without removing the shields. Titanium shims are also an easy addition. Rear brake temps and oad wear is only an issue with traction control on in my experience. Girodiscs are amazing but its a different price point. They do make sense if you get them from turner/ecs with lifetime replacement warranty however I suggest running stock rotors for a few more track days and getting a feel for things and getting consistent before upgrading.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 12:58 AM   #8
Markymarkk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirahadk View Post
Welcome to the track party! Beautiful F80! I started about 3 years in my F80 and ran it with only rb600, ds3.12 pads, apex wheel with track tires for most of this time.It was DD until recently. I am also in Phoenix. We are quite lucky here to have so many tracks around us and great weather to run a decent part of the year.

Cooling on these is quite good and I have not had engine overheating issues even on hot days while running bmw oil on sport or sport+ for 30 min sessions. Usually its the tires that need a cooldown lap or two. Blackstone oil analysis was great at about 5000 mile interval. I now run redline 5w40 for even more peace of mind.

After experimenting and trying to optimize the same things that you and others mention here, I also arrived at running sport engine/ comfort steering and dct s2. Dct s3 is too jerky without adding much in terms of laptime and speed. I am guessing it probably adds more strain to the drivetrain too. The gts flash is a big improvement but I still run at s2.

Like M3SQRD said you probably just have pad deposits and will improve with a couple weeks of street driving on cold track pads. What pads are you running? Some tracks are harder on brakes and tires such as AMP. An inexpensive mod that I wish I had done earlier is the brake deflector kit from Bimmerworld. Stock brakes are quite good as long as you can manage the temps. Taking the dust shields off with deflectors made a big impact on my brake temps and consistency but the deflectors would help even without removing the shields. Titanium shims are also an easy addition. Rear [...]
Thank you! I’m very new to the area (originally from Florida) but it is pretty great to have 3 nice tracks all within an hour and a half away. This event was out at the Podium club with the PCA group and thankfully they were all very welcoming. I’m hoping to checkout the Inde motorsport ranch next and hopefully see some other M cars out there.

I’m currently running EBC blue stuff, I’m not experienced enough to say if they were bad or good but they performed great and I didn’t notice any issues with them. In regards to the warped rotors, I always noticed some slight vibrations even before the track day. I also recently got an alignment and wheels balanced so I know it’s not that. But I’ll definitely give it some time and try rebedding if not I might just bite the bullet on the girodics. I’m also trying to keep the car as stock as possible since I daily it and I’ve already been down that rabbit hole of over modifying a car.

It’s good to hear that you haven’t had any issues with running the engine in sport out on the track, I’ll give that a try. I looked into the brake deflector kit and it does seem like it’s worth a try for just around $100. Was the install as straight forward as they make it seem?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:22 AM   #9
mirahadk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! I’m very new to the area (originally from Florida) but it is pretty great to have 3 nice tracks all within an hour and a half away. This event was out at the Podium club with the PCA group and thankfully they were all very welcoming. I’m hoping to checkout the Inde motorsport ranch next and hopefully see some other M cars out there.

I’m currently running EBC blue stuff, I’m not experienced enough to say if they were bad or good but they performed great and I didn’t notice any issues with them. In regards to the warped rotors, I always noticed some slight vibrations even before the track day. I also recently got an alignment and wheels balanced so I know it’s not that. But I’ll definitely give it some time and try rebedding if not I might just bite the bullet on the girodics. I’m also trying to keep the car as stock as possible since I daily it and I’ve already been down that rabbit hole of over modifying a car.

It’s good to hear that you haven’t had any issues with running the engine in sport out on the track, I’ll give that a try. I looked into the brake deflector kit and it does seem like it’s worth a try for just around $100. Was the install as straight forward as they make it seem?

I hear PCA are great to run with. We have AMP, podium club, firebird east and west (previously firebird), radford/bondurant, inde, chuckwalla and apex( members only). I plan on going to inde on memorial day weekend with proautosports.

For the vibrations, do you notice it only while braking or all the time and worse at speed? Deposits/ warped rotors are worse with braking.

In terms of mods you honestly dont need to do much to enjoy it. Brake pads,brake fkuid tires, oil change are all you need. In my opinion the biggest limitation the f8x platform has stock is the lack of camber adjustment in the front. Camber plates are the best bang for buck for not only front end grip but tire wear. 18 inch wheels help with tire options and costs esp running square. It can be a slippery slope lol. I have giros in the front and they are great on track, worth double the cost as you get faster and have stickier rubber.

The deflecter kit was easy. As long as you have a jack, jack stands and basic car tools, torque wrench etc and are comfortable with taking on and off the wheels. Can also put it in ramps/lift and mount from underneath. Another option is using porsche 996 deflectors.
https://youtu.be/1enOCq4jKWQ?si=7rkKwOIz7fBhy1Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 02:09 PM   #10
Markymarkk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirahadk View Post
I hear PCA are great to run with. We have AMP, podium club, firebird east and west (previously firebird), radford/bondurant, inde, chuckwalla and apex( members only). I plan on going to inde on memorial day weekend with proautosports.

For the vibrations, do you notice it only while braking or all the time and worse at speed? Deposits/ warped rotors are worse with braking.

In terms of mods you honestly dont need to do much to enjoy it. Brake pads,brake fkuid tires, oil change are all you need. In my opinion the biggest limitation the f8x platform has stock is the lack of camber adjustment in the front. Camber plates are the best bang for buck for not only front end grip but tire wear. 18 inch wheels help with tire options and costs esp running square. It can be a slippery slope lol. I have giros in the front and they are great on track, worth double the cost as you get faster and have stickier rubber.

The deflecter kit was easy. As long as you have a jack, jack stands and basic car tools, torque wrench etc and are comfortable with taking on and off the wheels. Can also put it in ramps/lift and mount from underneath. Another option is using porsche 996 deflectors.
https://youtu.be/1enOCq4jKWQ?si=7rkKwOIz7fBhy1Ed

I was actually registered for that event but I have family visiting now. Feel free to PM me if you decide to go to any other track events this year, it would be cool to be out there with another F80!

The vibrations are very noticeable when braking at highway speeds, not so much driving around the neighborhood.

I’ve read about the camber plates as well and might do them if I do notice uneven wear and if I end up going out to the track more frequently. But I see what you’re saying about it being a slippery slope, I personally like how the 666M look but it is a pretty rough with these Arizona roads I’ve noticed. So maybe later down the line I might look into picking up some wheels.

Might be a stupid question but do you notice the brake bias has change with having Girodiscs up front and stock rears?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 02:23 PM   #11
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

I was told that trans mode S3 has the highest clamping force and will not overheat the clutch which may be the reason James Clay has higher temps and new clutch using S2. He manual shifts but not sure if what I hear is correct. I use S3 with the BM3 trans tune and it is better down shifting and better anticipating my throttle inputs. It's crazy good and I'm an instructor and came from a manual. S2 seems track lite for me. Been tracking ~10 events per year with 15-25 laps per session and no crank hub issues.

Also S+ throttle will kill you with all nannies off and tuned if you're not used to it. I will run MDM on (light on) and TC off (light on) for the first 2 laps until tires are warmer and just sport throttle. If it's your first couple events, I'd use efficient. I run sport throttle, MDM off, TC off, S3, suspension and steering S+.

If it's wet, all nannies ON!

MDM on will increase your rear caliper temps, and MDM and TC on with PFC 8/11 will definitely turn your calipers green. Also with 666 be careful crashing curbs or you'll damage wheels.

Last edited by FrankMstein; 05-14-2024 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 02:32 PM   #12
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

PCA and BMW have good instructors Get several of those before you try Chin. Most of their events, anyone in a blue group with this is a red group with anyone else. Their red group is often faster than some of the students. Chin and Jzilla are the first two groups going to Flatrock in TN when it opens for peasants this year. It will make Road Atlanta and VIR look like AMP/CMP/Putnam Park/Gingerman/Grattan in a few years after things are done.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #13
mirahadk
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was actually registered for that event but I have family visiting now. Feel free to PM me if you decide to go to any other track events this year, it would be cool to be out there with another F80!

The vibrations are very noticeable when braking at highway speeds, not so much driving around the neighborhood.

I’ve read about the camber plates as well and might do them if I do notice uneven wear and if I end up going out to the track more frequently. But I see what you’re saying about it being a slippery slope, I personally like how the 666M look but it is a pretty rough with these Arizona roads I’ve noticed. So maybe later down the line I might look into picking up some wheels.

Might be a stupid question but do you notice the brake bias has change with having Girodiscs up front and stock rears?
Ill send you a PM. Itll probably be after the summer break.

I have NOT noticed a change in brake bias but just much more consistent pedal feel and lower caliper temps. I run ferodo ds 3.12 all around which have strong initial bite so it would be noticeable on turn in while trailing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 10:23 AM   #14
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Comfort steering is all that really matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:01 PM   #15
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Comfort steering is all that really matters.
Comfort steering and Efficient throttle is where its at once you are at the total limit. If the rears are really sticky, then Sport throttle can be used. Sports+ throttle is just a joke
Appreciate 2
NYG11054.50