BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2024, 06:28 AM   #1
slilley
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Rear passenger door won't open from outside sometimes

I've got an annoying problem that I occasionally experience with my '23 G05 X5. On the rear passenger door, there will be times (maybe about 1 in 10) where my rear passenger cannot open the door even though it's unlocked. I've tried re-locking and unlocking the door, and it doesn't seem like this helps. I have to reach over and open the door from inside, and then it's fine for several days or even a couple of weeks. But it occurred twice this weekend, so perhaps it's getting worse. I guess I should make an appointment with the dealer, but I hate the thought of them taking the door apart to take a look. I've had work done on older BMWs (E46's) where they didn't properly attach the vapor barrier when working on door regulators, and I ended up with water in the car after a heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 07:25 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slilley View Post
I've got an annoying problem that I occasionally experience with my '23 G05 X5. On the rear passenger door, there will be times (maybe about 1 in 10) where my rear passenger cannot open the door even though it's unlocked. I've tried re-locking and unlocking the door, and it doesn't seem like this helps. I have to reach over and open the door from inside, and then it's fine for several days or even a couple of weeks. But it occurred twice this weekend, so perhaps it's getting worse. I guess I should make an appointment with the dealer, but I hate the thought of them taking the door apart to take a look. I've had work done on older BMWs (E46's) where they didn't properly attach the vapor barrier when working on door regulators, and I ended up with water in the car after a heavy rain.
isn’t there are manual child lock on the side of the door? maybe it’s partially engaged?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:43 AM   #3
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
isn’t there are manual child lock on the side of the door? maybe it’s partially engaged?
Doesn't that lock only prevent opening the door from the inside?
      05-13-2024, 10:15 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
Quote:
Doesn't that lock only prevent opening the door from the inside?
oh I missed that it’s not opening from the outside
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 12:26 PM   #5
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
oh I missed that it’s not opening from the outside
Hey, for all I know the switch being in the middle makes it not open at all
      05-13-2024, 11:10 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If any door is actually locked, it won’t open on the first pull of the inside door handle…to actually open the door, you have to pull it a second time after you release it, or have one of the front occupants hit the unlock button (the lock won’t unlock from the ‘unlock’ button if someone has their handle partially pulled when unlock is tried. Depending on how you’ve set things up, it may or may not unlock all of the doors when you shut it off, and certainly not while it is still in ‘ready’ state.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 05:46 AM   #7
slilley
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Thanks for the feedback so far! Yes, this problem prevents you from opening the rear passenger door from the outside only. I know for a fact that re-locking and unlocking the doors from either the key FOB or the front door handles does not fix it. But this problem doesn't occur often enough for me to effectively troubleshoot it. Next time it happens, I'll check to see if I need to pull the inside door handle once or twice to open the door. Opening the door from the inside returns everything to fully-working status for days or weeks. Maybe I'll also flip the manual child lock back and forth to make sure that's not the problem, although as MJBradley1967 commented, that's only supposed to prevent you from being able to open the door from the inside when engaged.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 01:16 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I’ve not had the door apart, but it sort of sounds like something is a bit loose or out of adjustment (maybe by something being loose).
Appreciate 1
slilley53.00
      05-14-2024, 01:49 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilley View Post
If the issue is restricted to only the rear passenger door, why not take it apart and see what you can see? Could simply be a partially fitted connector or at least you can pull apart all the connectors and then simply push them back together. You can also look for any pinched wires, loose screws, etc. It only takes 10 min to pull the inside door panel off. You should however buy a few of the white plastic securing pins first as one or two may break.

Too bad I didn't takes pix of when I had mine off but all you will need are these.. ..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/XBRN-Removal-...67&sr=8-6&th=1

and a T20 TORX driver
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
slilley53.00
      05-14-2024, 02:01 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If any door is actually locked, it won’t open on the first pull of the inside door handle…to actually open the door, you have to pull it a second time after you release it, or have one of the front occupants hit the unlock button (the lock won’t unlock from the ‘unlock’ button if someone has their handle partially pulled when unlock is tried. Depending on how you’ve set things up, it may or may not unlock all of the doors when you shut it off, and certainly not while it is still in ‘ready’ state.
you misread his issue (like I did). it won’t open from the outside door handle
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 05:21 PM   #11
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

OP do you have the "interceptor" model?
Appreciate 2
JeffL020.50
slilley53.00
      05-14-2024, 05:24 PM   #12
JeffL0
Rep
Drives: '25 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
OP do you have the "interceptor" model?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 08:06 PM   #13
ruartur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I’m having the same exact issue currently on my 2023 X5. Thinking about setting up my appointment with the dealer.
Appreciate 1
slilley53.00
      05-14-2024, 08:16 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

When COVID was endemic and people were out sick, factories ended up with a lot of people doing jobs they hadn’t before…so, it could be someone just didn’t tighten up the linkages ‘properly’, so it worked for a while, but now is problematic. They won’t know until they open it up and check, but it’s probably a quick and easy thing to straighten out. I’m curious to know the culprit so don’t leave us hanging!
Appreciate 1
slilley53.00
      05-15-2024, 07:57 AM   #15
Security_IE
Not So New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135; 2021 X5 45e

I have this issue with my 21. It usually happens when my son approaches the car and goes to open the door before I have hit the unlock button in the driver's door. After I unlock all the doors, he tries again and the door doesn't open. You may want to try this scenario to see if you can reproduce the issue. It doesn't happen often enough for me to pull the door panel off to inspect it. Same right rear door.
slilley53.00