BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-20-2023, 10:51 AM   #1
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

X5 LCI vs 2023 Range Rover Sport

I wonder if anyone has cross shopped these two? I am about to pick up my LCI order this weekend but having a last minute cold feet. Saw RR Sport 2023 at the dealer the other day and the quality of interior blew my mind. Given the price increase on X5, RR Sport is not too much more expensive and it comes many standard features including full leather interior, air suspension, etc.

Unfortunately, due to lack of inventory (and all incoming ones being pre-sold), they don't have anything to test drive. Has anyone considered RR Sport or driven one in comparison to X5? Any thoughts or highlights?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
echo46mike3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M3, X5 45e

Unless you are cross shopping with M60i, then maybe price point is similar. I’ve yet to see a RR Sport SE optioned to <$90k or SE DYN optioned to <$100k MSRP. And both have a $$18k markup on top of MSRP in the state of MA.

If your budget is $100k it’s just power v.s. Comfort as M60i can’t be equipped with airsprings.
Appreciate 1
FCX52410.50
      06-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
Flaneur
Rep
Drives: 4runner

Personally, I find the RRS to be the most pleasing aesthetically. I briefly looked around the Bay Area and found none. SF LR now shows two but don't think they've arrived yet. Yes- I think 100k+ and have heard that there are 20k mark-ups over MSRP.

I think they're beautiful but they are still at the bottom of things like the JD Power reliability survey.
Appreciate 1
jpw17258.00
      06-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #4
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo46mike3 View Post
Unless you are cross shopping with M60i, then maybe price point is similar. I’ve yet to see a RR Sport SE optioned to <$90k or SE DYN optioned to <$100k MSRP. And both have a $$18k markup on top of MSRP in the state of MA.

If your budget is $100k it’s just power v.s. Comfort as M60i can’t be equipped with airsprings.
My xDrive 40i LCI order is $84k so not too far off from a $90k (better equipped than my LCI in terms of options). The thing that struck me is also resale value of these 2023 RRSs. They sell used above MSRP because they are so had to get new. Got lucky and a local dealer has one that will sell to me at MSRP that is coming in 6 weeks. so now I am tempted
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #5
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
I find this very interesting. Have any of you actually driven one? I would agree with the comments around aesthetics and finishes..it’s definitely a sharp looking vehicle but as it relates to performance (handling, torque, acceleration)the RR leaves a great deal to be desired. All that might change with an SVR variant but then X5/6 M would be the better comparison. Also price …
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #6
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_tz View Post
I find this very interesting. Have any of you actually driven one? I would agree with the comments around aesthetics and finishes..it’s definitely a sharp looking vehicle but as it relates to performance (handling, torque, acceleration)the RR leaves a great deal to be desired. All that might change with an SVR variant but then X5/6 M would be the better comparison. Also price …
Haven't driven one unfortunately because no dealer has one available. But based on reviews, the powertrain feels laggy compared to BMW powertrains (in X5 etc). Related to this, I saw this comment that is spot on about RRS on the Range rover forum:

"Range Rovers always win the swimsuit beauty contest. Not so much when it comes to the talent part though"
Appreciate 4
matowi359.00
Edwardsc1255.50
Condorll219.50
      06-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #7
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Haven't driven one unfortunately because no dealer has one available. But based on reviews, the powertrain feels laggy compared to BMW powertrains (in X5 etc). Related to this, I saw this comment that is spot on about RRS on the Range rover forum:

"Range Rovers always win the swimsuit beauty contest. Not so much when it comes to the talent part though"
Hahaha..that made me chuckle. Spot on.
Appreciate 1
bandersen612.00
      06-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #8
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I bought a new 2007 RRSC, Range Rover Supercharged, at the end of ’06 and LOVED it. Had it for 10 years as my second car and I kept it in immaculate shape.

Probably is, I should say IS, the best car I have ever owned on many levels.

Priced one comparable to it now before I bought my 50e and it was pushing $200+. I paid $107 for mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #9
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I bought a new 2007 RRSC, Range Rover Supercharged, at the end of ’06 and LOVED it. Had it for 10 years as my second car and I kept it in immaculate shape.

Probably is, I should say IS, the best car I have ever owned on many levels.

Priced one comparable to it now before I bought my 50e and it was pushing $200+. I paid $107 for mine.
I take it that you had no reliability issues with it? This is making it harder for me to decide. I have had 2019 X5 before but never had a RRS. The only thing holding me back is the reviews about P360 base engine (despite being 355 hp) on RRS, being a bit laggy off the line compared to X5
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #10
Brando95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 SQ5, 24 X5 M60i

I originally ordered the RR Sport P400 before cancelling that order and ordering the X5 M60i.

As someone mentioned above, it really comes down to a battle between comfort and sportiness, and which you care about more. The RR was hands down one of the most comfortable cars I’ve driven. It was definitely a little laggy off the line, but not terrible given its size/weight.

My wife and I wanted something that packed a little more punch when hitting the gas pedal and decided to switch to the M60i instead. The price point was about the same, $103K for the RR Sport and $100K for the M60i.

Another big selling point for us was the DAPP, something RR doesn’t offer yet
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 03:04 PM   #11
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
I take it that you had no reliability issues with it? This is making it harder for me to decide. I have had 2019 X5 before but never had a RRS. The only thing holding me back is the reviews about P360 base engine (despite being 355 hp) on RRS, being a bit laggy off the line compared to X5
I wouldn’t say “NO reliability issues” but nothing too major. Again, I took real good care of her, changed oil every 2500 miles, always kept up on any fluids and filters, changed tires, now THAT was expensive, and brakes jut before they gave out.
I took one trip years ago over to Charleston then all the way down the coast to Key West and back up the left side of Florida and it was wonderful…
I just can’t justify spending that much on a car anymore.
BTW, for all those saying they were “Laggy”, mine had 500 HP and would really get up and go. WAY too heavy of a car not to go with the largest engine…

Mine was not the "Sport" model
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #12
modesa
Private
Rep
Drives: Maybe x5

I was on a vacation to LA a few years ago with the wife and Thrifty offered to upgrade me to a RRS from the Sentra or Dodge Dart or whatever I had booked for like an extra $200 or something for the week and I figured eh sure why not, we're in Hollywood.

- The car's menus and screens were all in Russian, from the last renter I guess. Make of that what you will. Took us ages to set it back to English because Cyrillic is a bit harder to puzzle out for an English speaker vs Spanish or French. I also signed up using my actual email for their telematics service and I still get emails from LR today.

- Because of the above and for the week I had it, I found the electronics interface buddy and glitchy. Was annoying at the time but I guess in hindsight it wasn't much worse than the BMW I have now.

- We had the damage waiver, so obviously we took it out to the hills east of LA and got it on 3 wheels for a bit. That was fun, crawl control works well. It was a bit wide for some trails but again, we had the damage waiver so who gives a shit, just plowed right through in our way. Better than a Sentra probably.

- Even with the base (at the time) supercharged V6, this thing went through gas like the Exxon Valdez. With CA gas prices and driving all over the place, I think I spent almost as much on gas as I did on the rental.

- Oddly, my wife (a woman) hated it, the aesthetics, the interior, all of it. Enough that when we started shopping a couple of years later the house rule was still "no Teslas, no Land Rovers." I think she just doesn't like offroading.
Appreciate 2
sbc-yyc86.50
FLYZ100.50
      06-22-2023, 10:05 PM   #13
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by modesa View Post
- Oddly, my wife (a woman)
You killed me man.
Swappy539.00
eluded3071.50
      06-23-2023, 12:04 AM   #14
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I wouldn’t say “NO reliability issues” but nothing too major. Again, I took real good care of her, changed oil every 2500 miles, always kept up on any fluids and filters, changed tires, now THAT was expensive, and brakes jut before they gave out.
I took one trip years ago over to Charleston then all the way down the coast to Key West and back up the left side of Florida and it was wonderful…
I just can’t justify spending that much on a car anymore.
BTW, for all those saying they were “Laggy”, mine had 500 HP and would really get up and go. WAY too heavy of a car not to go with the largest engine…

Mine was not the "Sport" model
I had a 2008 sport supercharged and you couldn’t keep tires on the damn thing about every 13 14,000 miles it needed a new set also engine went out at 70 ,000 was not even repairable
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #15
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

I have a 40i LCI, and came out of a 2019 X5. I had a number of complaints about me 2019, mostly ride quality and interior build quality. Before buying another X5, I drove everything (probably 20+ cars). I drove both the RR and RR Sport. There is a lot to like about the RRS, but I obviously didn't order one (or buy the one I drove which was a customer cancellation).

What I liked
-It's handsome, but IMO not as handsome in person as the photographs
-It feels different/more special than the BMW
-It is nice to drive

What I thought was a miss
-I am very particular about interior space as, and the RR Sport lacks headroom, It's about 3" less than the X5, and I felt every inch.
-The car was just not as "usable" inside. Their touch screen/interface just isn't as good as BMW (not even close). While in concept the climate control knobs seem like a good idea, I think iDrive 8 is better.
-The ride is a bit of a hit and miss, in some ways very smooth but in others you feel cracks in the road more than I was expecting.
-Wind noise

Neither hit nor miss, the engine was fine, but the LCI B58 is quite a bit better. In the end, I bough the LCI. Ride quality it better than my 2019. I am not sure if they improved the ride or if it's just because I went with 20" vs 21 inch rims. IMO, build quality has improved quite a bit......I say all that but at the same time my LCI has been in the shop for 3 weeks due to a powertrain issue. Not sure where that is going, but I have a LCI as a loaner and I feel equally that the car has improved ride quality and the engine is just amazing. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
realdah57.00
      06-23-2023, 08:24 AM   #16
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca8302 View Post
I have a 40i LCI, and came out of a 2019 X5. I had a number of complaints about me 2019, mostly ride quality and interior build quality. Before buying another X5, I drove everything (probably 20+ cars). I drove both the RR and RR Sport. There is a lot to like about the RRS, but I obviously didn't order one (or buy the one I drove which was a customer cancellation).

What I liked
-It is nice to drive

-I am very particular about interior space as, and the RR Sport lacks headroom, It's about 3" less than the X5, and I felt every inch.
-The car was just not as "usable" inside. Their touch screen/interface just isn't as good as BMW (not even close). While in concept the climate control knobs seem like a good idea, I think iDrive 8 is better.
-The ride is a bit of a hit and miss, in some ways very smooth but in others you feel cracks in the road more than I was expecting.
-Wind noise

Neither hit nor miss, the engine was fine, but the LCI B58 is quite a bit better. In the end, I bough the LCI. Ride quality it better than my 2019. I am not sure if they improved the ride or if it's just because I went with 20" vs 21 inch rims. IMO, build quality has improved quite a bit......I say all that but at the same time my LCI has been in the shop for 3 weeks due to a powertrain issue. Not sure where that is going, but I have a LCI as a loaner and I feel equally that the car has improved ride quality and the engine is just amazing. Hope that helps.
This sums up the differences between the two really well! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I picked up my LCI a couple days ago and love it so far! I also had a 2019 X5 with 19" wheels and I think this LCI with 20s rides better. Sorry to hear about the powertrain issues. What is the issue exactly?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 08:28 AM   #17
TXPearl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo46mike3 View Post
Yes, it can, at least in the U.S.
Appreciate 2
radmjk241.50
T3PO97.50
      06-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #18
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
This sums up the differences between the two really well! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I picked up my LCI a couple days ago and love it so far! I also had a 2019 X5 with 19" wheels and I think this LCI with 20s rides better. Sorry to hear about the powertrain issues. What is the issue exactly?
Don't know yet. It has a "shudder" when you are braking from 23 to 20 MPH. To me, it feels like a mild hybrid, but don't know. They thought it was the brake rotors so they replaced both the front and read, and that didn't fix it. After that they found a bulletin about "transfer case chatter" that has a software update, they did that and it "partially resolved it". Now, they are doing further testing and it might require replacing the transfer case. They have a case open with BMW engineering....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #19
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Don't know yet. It has a "shudder" when you are braking from 23 to 20 MPH. To me, it feels like a mild hybrid, but don't know. They thought it was the brake rotors so they replaced both the front and read, and that didn't fix it. After that they found a bulletin about "transfer case chatter" that has a software update, they did that and it "partially resolved it". Now, they are doing further testing and it might require replacing the transfer case. They have a case open with BMW engineering....
Thanks for sharing, was there any engine light on for the issue you mention about?

I don't find any thing wrong so far with my LCI or maybe I am just not that sensitive? don't know.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #20
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has cross shopped these two? I am about to pick up my LCI order this weekend but having a last minute cold feet. Saw RR Sport 2023 at the dealer the other day and the quality of interior blew my mind. Given the price increase on X5, RR Sport is not too much more expensive and it comes many standard features including full leather interior, air suspension, etc.

Unfortunately, due to lack of inventory (and all incoming ones being pre-sold), they don't have anything to test drive. Has anyone considered RR Sport or driven one in comparison to X5? Any thoughts or highlights?
I used to own a RRS and I won't hesitate to own one again. It had small issues, but overall reliability was great. Many of my friends have similar experience with RRS. However, what I hate about RR is their dealer experience. I went from a RRS to Cayenne S mainly because of dealer experience. So far, BMW dealer experience has been great.

But I agree, RRS interior comfort and design to me is top notch. Now you can even get it with BMW Engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #21
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:

What I liked
-It is nice to drive

-Wind noise

Neither hit nor miss, the engine was fine, but the LCI B58 is quite a bit better. In the end, I bough the LCI. Ride quality it better than my 2019. I am not sure if they improved the ride or if it's just because I went with 20" vs 21 inch rims. IMO, build quality has improved quite a bit......I say all that but at the same time my LCI has been in the shop for 3 weeks due to a powertrain issue. Not sure where that is going, but I have a LCI as a loaner and I feel equally that the car has improved ride quality and the engine is just amazing. [...]
I have had both and as always the Germany 🇩🇪 cars are better with build and technology and reliability and resale
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #22
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdah View Post
Thanks for sharing, was there any engine light on for the issue you mention about?

I don't find any thing wrong so far with my LCI or maybe I am just not that sensitive? don't know.
I think it’s really just an issue with mine. The loaner I have doesn’t have the issue.
Appreciate 1
realdah57.00