BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Driftwood
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X530i (G05)

Remote Start - Climate Control Rules Don't Work

Hey everyone, I have a 2019 G05 with an issue that is really bugging me, and my dealership is of no help. I had just updated the software to 07/2020.80 a few days ago.

Whenever I remote start the car, with either the key fob or phone app, the steering wheel heats up even though I have Climate Control Rules set to off. Even when I turn on the rules for the heated seats, they won't turn on during a remote start. The saleman who sold me the car said the seats don't turn on for remote start, but it works for my friend's 3-series.

So just to recap, regardless of what my settings are for Climate Control Rules, the steering wheel will heat up every time during a remote start, but the seats will not, regardless of what the Climate Control Rules are.

I dropped off the car at the dealership for the tech to take a look at the issue, and I get a voicemail after 3 hours saying "the tech advises you to check the owners manual and change the settings in iDrive". When I picked up the car, I asked them to show me that it's fixed. Of course it wasn't. They didn't even try remote starting it once - if they did, they would've replicated the issue immediately.

I've researched into this topic but have not been able to find any concrete solutions. I'm hoping one of you here can give me some advice on how to solve this issue. I just want the steering wheel and seats to follow the settings under Climate Control Rules so I can have the wheel and seats heated up in the winter from remote starting, and off in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Hey everyone, I have a 2019 G05 with an issue that is really bugging me, and my dealership is of no help. I had just updated the software to 07/2020.80 a few days ago.

Whenever I remote start the car, with either the key fob or phone app, the steering wheel heats up even though I have Climate Control Rules set to off. Even when I turn on the rules for the heated seats, they won't turn on during a remote start. The saleman who sold me the car said the seats don't turn on for remote start, but it works for my friend's 3-series.

So just to recap, regardless of what my settings are for Climate Control Rules, the steering wheel will heat up every time during a remote start, but the seats will not, regardless of what the Climate Control Rules are.

I dropped off the car at the dealership for the tech to take a look at the issue, and I get a voicemail after 3 hours saying "the tech advises you to check the owners manual and change the settings in iDrive". When I picked up the car, I asked them to show me that it's fixed. Of course it wasn't. They didn't even try remote starting it once - if they did, they would've replicated the issue immediately.

I've researched into this topic but have not been able to find any concrete solutions. I'm hoping one of you here can give me some advice on how to solve this issue. I just want the steering wheel and seats to follow the settings under Climate Control Rules so I can have the wheel and seats heated up in the winter from remote starting, and off in the summer.
This is a known issue. There's an SIB on this issue for the seat heating problem but I've not yet heard of a fix for the steering wheel heating coming on which happens regardless of the outside temperature. It could be 100 degrees outside and the steering wheel heating still turns on when you remote start the vehicle.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82616-9999.pdf

Please be advised that updating to 11/2020.xx may cause other undesired bugs. Apparently, some are reporting that Auto Start/Stop (ASS) is not working correctly after this update. I believe there's another issue that this update introduces as well. However, that being said, if the Seat Heating on remote start is your primary concern you can bring this SIB into your dealer and hand it to them.

I would be interested in hearing what excuses the dealer tries to give you when you hand them this SIB.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

The climate control rules whenever they feel like it on mine lol.

I have it set for seats and wheel on below 36. Sometimes it will do it, sometimes it can be 32 and the car will pretty much say "Nah, im good"
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Driftwood
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X530i (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
This is a known issue. There's an SIB on this issue for the seat heating problem but I've not yet heard of a fix for the steering wheel heating coming on which happens regardless of the outside temperature. It could be 100 degrees outside and the steering wheel heating still turns on when you remote start the vehicle.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82616-9999.pdf

Please be advised that updating to 11/2020.xx may cause other undesired bugs. Apparently, some are reporting that Auto Start/Stop (ASS) is not working correctly after this update. I believe there's another issue that this update introduces as well. However, that being said, if the Seat Heating on remote start is your primary concern you can bring this SIB into your dealer and hand it to them.

I would be interested in hearing what excuses the dealer tries to give you when you hand them this SIB.
Is an SIB a set of instructions to fix technical problems? If so, shouldn't the dealership already have access to it? I'm getting quite annoyed by it and was wondering to what extent the dealership will go in order to fix this issue for me. I've only had my G05 for 4 months (bought pre-owned from dealership, 2000km on it when I got it). By how they have been acting, I feel like they really don't care.. so unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:
Is an SIB a set of instructions to fix technical problems? If so, shouldn't the dealership already have access to it? I'm getting quite annoyed by it and was wondering to what extent the dealership will go in order to fix this issue for me. I've only had my G05 for 4 months (bought pre-owned from dealership, 2000km on it when I got it). By how they have been acting, I feel like they really don't care.. so unfortunate.
My heated seats use to work before i got update to 11/20.36. I will send an email with the SIB to have it corrected.
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Did you read the SIB I posted? Yes, it gives detailed instructions on what to do fix the problem. Since the SIB is for the US they might try to tell you it doesn't apply in Canada. I would call Bull on that response and contact BMW NA and let them know how your dealer is treating you in regards to this issue.
Appreciate 1