BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
CarFanatic90
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M50i

Question Advice Appreciated: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have been doing some extensive research on BMWs. I currently own a 2021 Audi SQ5 Prestige, but looking for something a bit bigger. My wife and I have a toddler and now my SQ5 feels small and I'm worried it will feel even smaller when we have another little one. I really wanted a m50i, but the asking price is just a little too high for me at the moment (~$102K when I spec it). Typically when I buy cars, I like to buy them fully loaded. Because the m50i is too high, I've locked in on a pretty much fully loaded xDrive40i.

That said, I was curious to know a few things:

1. Driving Experience: Are there any existing xDrive40i owners who came from an SQ5? If so, how do you like it? Would you say there is a major difference? What do you like/dislike? I tend to enjoy a sportier drive (always drive my SQ5 in Dynamic mode). The 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds. Based on reviews I've read and watched, the xDrive40i can get 0-60 in 4.8/4.9 seconds (despite the BMW website advertising 5.3 seconds) which I think is pretty impressive given its size.

2. Pricing: Given the current car market, is anyone hearing about any discounts on custom builds? I don't believe in paying MSRP and certainly wouldn't pay above MSRP so I'm trying to level set on where I should start with my negotiations while being realistic.

As a side note, I was holding out to see what the LCI would be for the X5, but just came to the conclusion that I honestly prefer physical buttons for climate, presets, heated seats, etc. Plus I think an integrated dashboard looks cleaner than the new "tablet" look that is in the iX, new 3 series, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts! I really do appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum.

2. Discounts are becoming more common and we are seeing more and more in the 5-9% range.

Keep in mind that you currently can't get a fully loaded 40i. Luxury seating and Merino leather is not available in addition to the other features that have been removed over that last year or so.

Good luck with your decision.
      12-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Welcome to the forum.

2. Discounts are becoming more common and we are seeing more and more in the 5-9% range.

Keep in mind that you currently can't get a fully loaded 40i. Luxury seating and Merino leather is not available in addition to the other features that have been removed over that last year or so.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks TurtleBoy! Really appreciate that insight. You think I could still manage a discount like that even on a custom order? I've heard it's easier to work a bigger discount if the car is already on the lot.

Earlier this week (if I recall correctly), they only had the Serafin option for upholstery. However, my spec on the BMW website today is below. Looks like some of the options are coming back...

M Sport - $3,300
Black Sapphire Metallic - $650
22" M Double-spoke black wheels, style 742M w/ performance non run-flat tires - $1,900
Tartufo Extended Merino Leather - $2,450
Climate Comfort Package - $1,350
Driving Assistance Professional Package - $1,700
Executive Package - $3,350
Luxury Seating Package - $1,600
Parking Assistance Package - $800
M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers - $650
Extended Shadowline Trim - $300
Harman Kardon surround sound system - $875
Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot - $500

I don't care for the trailer hitch, running boards, or alcantara headliner.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic90 View Post
Thanks TurtleBoy! Really appreciate that insight. You think I could still manage a discount like that even on a custom order? I've heard it's easier to work a bigger discount if the car is already on the lot.

Earlier this week (if I recall correctly), they only had the Serafin option for upholstery. However, my spec on the BMW website today is below. Looks like some of the options are coming back...

M Sport - $3,300
Black Sapphire Metallic - $650
22" M Double-spoke black wheels, style 742M w/ performance non run-flat tires - $1,900
Tartufo Extended Merino Leather - $2,450
Climate Comfort Package - $1,350
Driving Assistance Professional Package - $1,700
Executive Package - $3,350
Luxury Seating Package - $1,600
Parking Assistance Package - $800
M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers - $650
Extended Shadowline Trim - $300
Harman Kardon surround sound system - $875
Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot - $500

I don't care for the trailer hitch, running boards, or alcantara headliner.
Yes, the discounts mentioned were for ordered vehicles. Whether you can get a bigger discount on lot vehicles varies by dealer. We have seen some who will not discount in stock vehicles as much as ordered vehicles. The discounts mentioned are something you would have to work work (or get a broker), they definitely are not available for all deals. You need to be in the right place at the right time.

It is Sensafin. Unless something changed yesterday, the Merino and Luxury Seating is not available. December allocations are coming out soon so there could have been a change but we have not heard of any. Don't put much faith in the Configurator on the web site, that seems ot be wrong as often as it is correct. You will need to check with a dealer to see if it is available, hopefully it is.
      12-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Yes, the discounts mentioned were for ordered vehicles. Whether you can get a bigger discount on lot vehicles varies by dealer. We have seen some who will not discount in stock vehicles as much as ordered vehicles. The discounts mentioned are something you would have to work work (or get a broker), they definitely are not available for all deals. You need to be in the right place at the right time.

It is Sensafin. Unless something changed yesterday, the Merino and Luxury Seating is not available. December allocations are coming out soon so there could have been a change but we have not heard of any. Don't put much faith in the Configurator on the web site, that seems ot be wrong as often as it is correct. You will need to check with a dealer to see if it is available, hopefully it is.
Okay - great. That's helpful to know about discounts for ordered vehicles.

Sucks to hear that the configurator on the website isn't correct often. Hopefully it is though. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 06:16 AM   #6
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

You should be able to get close to 9% off of a custom order by using a broker. Many on Leasehackr website. Might have to drive it back home, have it shipped to you, or arrange to pick it up in South Carolina at the Performance Center.
      12-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
You should be able to get close to 9% off of a custom order by using a broker. Many on Leasehackr website. Might have to drive it back home, have it shipped to you, or arrange to pick it up in South Carolina at the Performance Center.
Got it. Really appreciate the advice!

I'm so torn between the m50i and xDrive40i now. Can't seem to make a decision! I keep going "well it's only a couple hundred more bucks a month" LOL Plus I really feel like at this price point that leather should be standard. Not too sure how I feel about the Sensafin. I do like the design of the Sensafin leatherette though.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #8
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Quote:

I'm so torn between the m50i and xDrive40i now. Can't seem to make a decision! I keep going "well it's only a couple hundred more bucks a month" LOL Plus I really feel like at this price point that leather should be standard. Not too sure how I feel about the Sensafin. I do like the design of the Sensafin leatherette though.
If you're going to keep it well past the warranty expiration, the 40i is what i would buy, although not being able to order leather is a real bummer to me.
      12-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
If you're going to keep it well past the warranty expiration, the 40i is what i would buy, although not being able to order leather is a real bummer to me.
I would have no concern about keeping the M50i past the warranty period but we all have different thoughts on that.

Merino and the Luxury Seating package is once again available for the 40i.
      12-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #10
robg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:

Totally agree that leather should be standard (as should several other things). I believe Merino has recently returned as an option for the 40i so you should be good to add that now!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #11
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
You might want to look at the 45e as well as you can get Merino leather in that for sure. If you can take ownership by Dec 31 of this year you can get the $7500 tax credit but that would be finding one on the lost most likely.

Not sure if a hybrid suits what you are looking for but something to test drive at least if you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #12
robg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

If your main reason for trading in your SQ5 for an x5 is space be careful with that assumption. The Q5 has actually has more combined front and rear legroom than an x5. Door pockets and center console storage are bigger though. Larger cargo area too but not by a huge amount. Point is be sure to really check out an X5 closely to see if it will actually solve your perceived space concerns.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #13
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have been doing some extensive research on BMWs. I currently own a 2021 Audi SQ5 Prestige, but looking for something a bit bigger. My wife and I have a toddler and now my SQ5 feels small and I'm worried it will feel even smaller when we have another little one. I really wanted a m50i, but the asking price is just a little too high for me at the moment (~$102K when I spec it). Typically when I buy cars, I like to buy them fully loaded. Because the m50i is too high, I've locked in on a pretty much fully loaded xDrive40i.

That said, I was curious to know a few things:

1. Driving Experience: Are there any existing xDrive40i owners who came from an SQ5? If so, how do you like it? Would you say there is a major difference? What do you like/dislike? I tend to enjoy a sportier drive (always drive my SQ5 in Dynamic mode). The 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds. Based on reviews I've read and watched, the xDrive40i can get 0-60 in 4.8/4.9 seconds (despite the BMW website advertising 5.3 seconds) which I think is pretty impressive given its size.

2. Pricing: Given the current car market, is anyone hearing about any discounts on custom builds? I don't believe in paying MSRP and certainly wouldn't pay above MSRP so I'm trying to level set on where I should start with my negotiations while being realistic.

As a side note, I was holding out to see what the LCI would be for the X5, but just came to the conclusion that I honestly prefer physical buttons for climate, presets, heated seats, etc. Plus I think an integrated dashboard looks cleaner than the new "tablet" look that is in the iX, new 3 series, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts! I really do appreciate it!
Hi, and welcome! I’m located in Maryland and bought my ‘23 X5 from my local dealer on Halloween and got a VERY good deal. There are deals to be made for sure. Not coming from SQ5, but I’ve had A LOT of vehicles including Golf R, X3M Comp, a previous X5 40i, 2 MB C43s, and many more. Personally the need for more power is never really there IMO. If you want comfort, decent MPG (I’m averaging almost 29 on the highway), and a solid feeling vehicle you can’t go wrong with the 40i. Check around and see what dealers have on the lot or have incoming and maybe someone will have something close!

Also, I saw you want the 22” wheels on your build. If you haven’t already, go test drive some to make sure the handling and comfort is something you enjoy. I love how the 21” wheels look but went for the 20” square setup for comfort and the all season tires. Again, to each their own!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #14
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Totally agree that leather should be standard (as should several other things). I believe Merino has recently returned as an option for the 40i so you should be good to add that now!
Yep - you're right that it is back so I would have to do a custom build. I really don't see any BSM w/ the Tartufo interior as a combo. It's always carbon black and Tartufo.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 09:32 PM   #15
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
You might want to look at the 45e as well as you can get Merino leather in that for sure. If you can take ownership by Dec 31 of this year you can get the $7500 tax credit but that would be finding one on the lost most likely.

Not sure if a hybrid suits what you are looking for but something to test drive at least if you can.
Thanks for recommending this. If USA had a better infrastructure for EVs then I would give this some more consideration, but my love for the engine sound and the convenience of a 5 minute gas run; I'm still committed to ICE these days.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 09:35 PM   #16
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
If your main reason for trading in your SQ5 for an x5 is space be careful with that assumption. The Q5 has actually has more combined front and rear legroom than an x5. Door pockets and center console storage are bigger though. Larger cargo area too but not by a huge amount. Point is be sure to really check out an X5 closely to see if it will actually solve your perceived space concerns.
You bring up a good point. On paper the SQ5 has better interior measurements, but for some reason when I sit in the X5 it feels like it has slightly more room or the same amout of room. Even back seat legroom feels like it's larger than the SQ5. I have my car seat with me so I'll be sure to test it out to see if it passes the car seat test. You are right though, I really need to assess this decision closely. I appreciate the input and advice!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 10:07 PM   #17
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTUP1991 View Post
Hi, and welcome! I’m located in Maryland and bought my ‘23 X5 from my local dealer on Halloween and got a VERY good deal. There are deals to be made for sure. Not coming from SQ5, but I’ve had A LOT of vehicles including Golf R, X3M Comp, a previous X5 40i, 2 MB C43s, and many more. Personally the need for more power is never really there IMO. If you want comfort, decent MPG (I’m averaging almost 29 on the highway), and a solid feeling vehicle you can’t go wrong with the 40i. Check around and see what dealers have on the lot or have incoming and maybe someone will have something close!

Also, I saw you want the 22” wheels on your build. If you haven’t already, go test drive some to make sure the handling and comfort is something you enjoy. I love how the 21” wheels look but went for the 20” square setup for comfort and the all season tires. Again, to each their own!
Thanks so much for the input. 29 mpg on the xDrive40i is amazing. That's a highway range of 600+ miles which is CLUTCH. I mainly do highway driving in NoVA. Whenever I fill up my SQ5 I get about 395 - 415 mile range. It all depends on how I'm driving it. The one thing that I REALLY love about my SQ5 is the way that it sounds. It love the subtle crackle and pops. I feel like I would miss that if I got the xDrive40i even though both cars' performance is roughly the same. It's the V8 engine and sound that keeps me going back to the thought of the m50i and trying to justify a m50i purchase. That v8 probably drinks gas though. BMW says 16 city / 22 highway, but I'll probably average like 17 - 19 mpg which is a 374 - 418 mile range. So then I'm like is the m50i worth the extra $20-25K on paper? Probably not, but I don't trust myself LOL

Ultimately, the 40i is the more financially responsible decision if I do end up getting one. Once the kiddos get out of daycare into public school then Daddy can have more fun because the cost of child daycare is NUTS in NoVA ($350 - 500 / per week per child).

I'm going to test drive both the 40i and m50i tomorrow. The 22 inch black wheels is a must have for me so I'll be sure to report on what I think about the drive.

Do you mind sharing which Maryland dealership you went to? I've seen quite a few nice X5s at BMW Passport and Catonsville. Heck - I've even bookmarked some X5s in Delaware. For the right price, I'll make the drive LOL, but at the end of the day, I have to get a good deal. Otherwise, it's not worth the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:16 AM   #18
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Thanks so much for the input. 29 mpg on the xDrive40i is amazing. That's a highway range of 600+ miles which is CLUTCH. I mainly do highway driving in NoVA. Whenever I fill up my SQ5 I get about 395 - 415 mile range. It all depends on how I'm driving it. The one thing that I REALLY love about my SQ5 is the way that it sounds. It love the subtle crackle and pops. I feel like I would miss that if I got the xDrive40i even though both cars' performance is roughly the same. It's the V8 engine and sound that keeps me going back to the thought of the m50i and trying to justify a m50i purchase. That v8 probably drinks gas though. BMW says 16 city / 22 highway, but I'll probably average like 17 - 19 mpg which is a 374 - 418 mile range. So then I'm like is the m50i worth the extra $20-25K on paper? Probably not, but I don't trust myself LOL

Ultimately, the 40i is the more financially responsible decision if I do end up getting one. Once the kiddos get out of daycare into public school then Daddy can have more fun because the cost of child daycare is NUTS in NoVA ($350 - 500 / per week per child).

I'm going to test drive both the 40i and m50i tomorrow. The 22 inch black wheels is a must have for me so I'll be sure to report on what I think about the drive.

Do you mind sharing which Maryland dealership you went to? I've seen quite a few nice X5s at BMW Passport and Catonsville. Heck - I've even bookmarked some X5s in Delaware. For the right price, I'll make the drive LOL, but at the end of the day, I have to get a good deal. Otherwise, it's not worth the upgrade.
The highway range is nuts! We are going south for the holidays to see family and I’m excited to make it there without stopping for fuel! Haha. Definitely understand about wanting the exhaust noise. Just know there is always the availability of the M Performance Exhaust you can purchase as well to add to the experience.

I got mine from BMW of Annapolis. Personally, it was a great experience and can’t say enough good things about the entire purchasing process.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #19
Jebryan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
You bring up a good point. On paper the SQ5 has better interior measurements, but for some reason when I sit in the X5 it feels like it has slightly more room or the same amout of room. Even back seat legroom feels like it's larger than the SQ5. I have my car seat with me so I'll be sure to test it out to see if it passes the car seat test. You are right though, I really need to assess this decision closely. I appreciate the input and advice!
I personally just went from an X3 up to an X5 this week. On paper, the X3 has more headroom and front legroom … rear legroom is basically the same. However, the rear seats in the X5 are much deeper, so it seems like more room and reallllllly makes a difference in the car seat positioning. My wife can now actually be comfortable in the passenger seat of the X5 with the car seat behind her. Before she was definitely cramped towards the dash.
Appreciate 2
Twiigg12.00
      12-11-2022, 08:46 PM   #20
CarFanatic90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebryan View Post
I personally just went from an X3 up to an X5 this week. On paper, the X3 has more headroom and front legroom … rear legroom is basically the same. However, the rear seats in the X5 are much deeper, so it seems like more room and reallllllly makes a difference in the car seat positioning. My wife can now actually be comfortable in the passenger seat of the X5 with the car seat behind her. Before she was definitely cramped towards the dash.
Thanks for the input. The X5 definitely feels like it has more legroom (37.4 inches) in the back despite the measurements on the SQ5 (38 inches). Idk if it has to do with the seats sitting up a tad bit higher or what but it certainly feels more roomy. Glad to hear you are enjoying your X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #21
CarFanatic90
Rep

Test drove the m50i and 40i today. Here's what I thought:

m50i - Immaculate - so much power. In Comfort mode, it felt super smooth and not jerky at all. I think this mode is perfect for city driving. In Sport mode, you get some more pep that's nice to have when you want it. In Sport Plus mode, that's when the beast is unleashed and really meant for spirited driving.

40i - Idk how to put this other than; think m50i but much less power (~200hp). Very similar rides in my opinion. Sport Plus mode reminded me of my SQ5. The X5 did feel like it look just a tad bit longer for all the boost to kick in and go, but I attribute that to the X5 being a heavier vehicle.

Overall, the drive on both is SUPER smooth. The transmission and gearing is so seamless. You can barely feel it shift - it's so quick and good. I didn't really see any issues with the 22" rims. Yes - you feel the bumps if you're on bad roads, but it's nothing jolting or jarring IMO. While it doesn't bother me, others may not like it. To me - that's the price you pay for beauty. The 22" rims are gorgeous and really make the vehicle stand out IMO.

Dare I say it....."BMW may have officially won me over from Audi!"
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 12:07 PM   #22
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 MINI Cooper Convertible S

Quote:
More leg room by about an 1” in the front and just over a 1/2” in the rear. However, there is significantly more shoulder room in an X5 because it’s wider with about 2” more in front and back. Also a ton more cargo room (25.9 v 33.9) from hatch to second row.

So yes, the Q5 and X5 are rather similar inside the passenger compartment, the X5 is a much larger vehicle in the storage capacity thanks to it being about 10” longer and 3” wider than a Q5. It also has a longer wheel base which will help the drive feel.
Appreciate 2
XMan9.00