11-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
J2045678
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x7 xDrive40i

Garage List
Driver Restraint System Message

Hey guys, hoping someone has some thoughts here. I have a 2021 X5 40i that had a Driver Restraint System message appear on the dash about a week after I picked it up. Took it in and the dealer replace the drivers seat module and all was well for a few days and now the same message is back on. Have another appointment next week to bring it back in. Anyone having a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Have not had that issue. It sounds like there's a harness issue. The odds of getting two defective modules is low, but anything's possible. Every once in awhile, someone will crimp a connector on without removing enough insulation...works intermittently, or not seat the terminal fully into the connector and it just makes enough contact to pass a test most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What does the warning actually say? Is it vague as you’ve written...or does it specify something specific like driver’s seat, front passenger seat, rear seat? Does it indicate if its a seat belt, or a front passenger seat mat, or air bag malfunction?

There are multiple “restraint” components (side air bags, head air bags, seat mat sensors, seat belts, etc)...so again, is there any specificity given in the warning?

Can you post a pic of the warning?

BTW, do you carry a bag/satchel/briefcase with you and rest it in the front passenger seat? Asking because if it is heavy enough...it can trigger the front passenger seat mat warning...the system assumes that it is a passenger and requires the seat belt. If this is the case, then you need to place the object on the floor or place it in the rear cargo area to prevent the warning.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
J2045678
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What does the warning actually say? Is it vague as you've written...or does it specify something specific like driver's seat, front passenger seat, rear seat? Does it indicate if its a seat belt, or a front passenger seat mat, or air bag malfunction?

There are multiple "restraint" components (side air bags, head air bags, seat mat sensors, seat belts, etc)...so again, is there any specificity given in the warning?

BTW, do you carry a bag/satchel/briefcase with you and rest it in the front passenger seat? Asking because if it is heavy enough...it can trigger the front passenger seat mat warning...the system assumes that it is a passenger and requires the seat belt. If this is the case, then you need to place the object on the floor or place it in the rear cargo area to prevent the warning.
Here's a pic of the message. To your other question, no I do not keep anything on the passenger seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
J2045678
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2045678 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What does the warning actually say? Is it vague as you've written...or does it specify something specific like driver's seat, front passenger seat, rear seat? Does it indicate if its a seat belt, or a front passenger seat mat, or air bag malfunction?

There are multiple "restraint" components (side air bags, head air bags, seat mat sensors, seat belts, etc)...so again, is there any specificity given in the warning?

Here's a pic of the message. To your other question, no I do not keep anything on the passenger seat.
Update...took car back in and was told it was a wiring issue and just picked up the car only to have the light come back on within an hour. Starting to get frustrated here...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
cwiginton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Update...took car back in and was told it was a wiring issue and just picked up the car only to have the light come back on within an hour. Starting to get frustrated here...
I had this same issue back around this time last year on my 2019, I had to take it in twice. The way that they ultimately fixed it was that they wiped the software and did a clean install of the software.

No problems since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
J2045678
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiginton View Post
Quote:
I had this same issue back around this time last year on my 2019, I had to take it in twice. The way that they ultimately fixed it was that they wiped the software and did a clean install of the software.

No problems since then.
Ok, thanks. I'll mention that to service. They are keeping the car for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
LesMesa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Were you able to get this issue resolved?

Mine X5 is at the dealership for the third time with this issue. If you found a long-term solution, please share what it was. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
WOW...it would be good to know what the cause & conclusion to this issue is. I was not expecting every warning from the MRS/SRS (multiple restraint system/supplemental restraint system) would be illuminated. I see air bag, seat belt, and I can’t make out what the 3 warnings are on the far left are..plus the yellow wrench is illuminated, too.

Again, hopefully the cause and solution to this issue is brought to the attention of the forum (the collective) so that others that come across this issue will have something they can take back to the service department or know how to to about resolving the issue when these cars go out of warranty.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #10
LesMesa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Were you able to get this issue resolved?

Mine X5 is at the dealership for the third time with this issue. If you found a long-term solution, please share what it was. Thanks!
My issue was just resolved (finally and hopefully permanently). The dealership ended up replacing the seat mat and module. Glad it was under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #11
Vadersithlord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 57 Vet 19 Audi etron 21 X5 45e

Might be listening to Paramore, that would do it...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #12
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
My issue was just resolved (finally and hopefully permanently). The dealership ended up replacing the seat mat and module. Glad it was under warranty.
Can you list the part numbers used?
Appreciate 0