BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
michaelosity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

X5 Rear Model Number Badge Removal

Has anyone removed the model badge on the rear of their X5? I saw one the other day without the badge and it looked so much better.

I think the model badge on the back is ugly and I'd love to remove it, but I don't want to destroy the paint or anything like that. BWM, of course, has no option or do they want to do that.

I'm fine with the X5 badge, but the 40i (in my case) is too much. Is it safe to do with the help of a body shop or something?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
rabbit1986
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3, 2016 D3 biturbo

just heat it up using a hair dryer. this heats up the glue.

Then Try to disconnect them from the paint using some thing wire (fishing wire).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

I blacked out mine and it looks great too!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelosity View Post
Has anyone removed the model badge on the rear of their X5? I saw one the other day without the badge and it looked so much better.

I think the model badge on the back is ugly and I'd love to remove it, but I don't want to destroy the paint or anything like that. BWM, of course, has no option or do they want to do that.

I'm fine with the X5 badge, but the 40i (in my case) is too much. Is it safe to do with the help of a body shop or something?

Thanks!
Piece-o-cake. Heat them up with a hair drying on high. Once heated well, use dental floss to cut through the adhesive, works like a charm. When the badges are off, you will need to remove the adhesive residue. I used a product called Un-du cause that's what I happened to have but Goo Gone will work and possibly rubbing or denatured alcohol will work too. The whole process for removing both badges took about 1/2hr. When removing the residue, do not use shop towels, paper towels, etc, they are too abrasive and will leave rubbing marks on your paint. Use a microfiber cloth. Here are a few pix. You can see the back of the badges and some remaining adhesive that's left on them. Its basically a two sided sticky foam strip.

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-29-2023, 02:21 PM   #5
Mafiagirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 x5 x40i

Yes, I have. It looks great in my opinion. I have “blacked” out everything possible on my car, and removing this was just the icing on the cake for me. Do it, it looks awesome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 09:49 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelosity View Post

Thanks!
i prefer the completely de-badged looked
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
WagonFan271.50
Xtabi1718.50