BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2024, 10:16 AM   #1
simdim
Rep
Drives: X3

Garage List
PAP and garages

Hi All,
I am trying to get an idea on how PAP treats getting out of garages on '22 X5.
I have a very tricky second stal, that needs very precise turning to get in and out due to retaining wall (no back and forth - just one smooth turn in and one smooth turn out). From all the videos it looks that if I can drive into the spot PAP will be able to back me out. Or it is not that simple?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 11:05 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by simdim View Post
Hi All,
I am trying to get an idea on how PAP treats getting out of garages on '22 X5.
I have a very tricky second stal, that needs very precise turning to get in and out due to retaining wall (no back and forth - just one smooth turn in and one smooth turn out). From all the videos it looks that if I can drive into the spot PAP will be able to back me out. Or it is not that simple?
I don't have the LCI so therefore I don't have PAP but I do have and used Backup Assistant and would think PAP is even better. For me, the Backup Assistant works fantastic. All I have to do is work the throttle and brake. The key is to go slow and be sure before backing up that the geography and surroundings have not changed since driving it into the garage or space. I've never had anything change but would think if for example someone decided to put something in the pathway after you pull into the space/garage, that the car would identify that and either stop or somehow indicate it instead of backing into it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:28 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I have the 45e with Parking Assistance but never use the Backup Assistant (tried it out once in a parking lot…pretty neat).

I also have to maneuver at an angle due to a retaining wall, but I reverse park into the garage which makes pulling out of the garage a breeze.

that said, the BA on your LCI should perform the same. activate it prior to pulling in then it’ll be stored for use the next time you back out. remember, you still need to maintain overall control
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:56 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I don't have the LCI so therefore I don't have PAP but I do have and used Backup Assistant and would think PAP is even better. For me, the Backup Assistant works fantastic. All I have to do is work the throttle and brake. The key is to go slow and be sure before backing up that the geography and surroundings have not changed since driving it into the garage or space. I've never had anything change but would think if for example someone decided to put something in the pathway after you pull into the space/garage, that the car would identify that and either stop or somehow indicate it instead of backing into it.
You have PAP. That is the acronym for the Parking Assistance Package which has been available since the G05's were introduced. The contents of the package has changed over the years. That Backup Assistant, which you mentioned, is what the OP would be using to get out of the garage.
      05-20-2024, 01:00 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
hat said, the BA on your LCI should perform the same. activate it prior to pulling in then it’ll be stored for use the next time you back out. remember, you still need to maintain overall control
There is no need to activate it going into the garage as it is constantly recording while you are driving forward. All that needs to be done in the garage is put it into reverse and then check the Backup Assistant box and it will retrace up to your last 165 ft.
LDT1620.50
nZtiZia4770.50
      05-20-2024, 02:04 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You have PAP. That is the acronym for the Parking Assistance Package which has been available since the G05's were introduced. The contents of the package has changed over the years. That Backup Assistant, which you mentioned, is what the OP would be using to get out of the garage.
but, but, I cannot control my car via my phone and drive it forward. Yes, I have PAP, well like you said, the old PAP but was considering how diff it is from what the OP would get and I could not adequately speak to driving it via the app. In hindsight I should have worded my post differently but then I wouldn't of had the chance to increase my post count

I figured he was reading and thinking about this. ..

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:21 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
but, but, I cannot control my car via my phone and drive it forward. Yes, I have PAP, well like you said, the old PAP but was considering how diff it is from what the OP would get and I could not adequately speak to driving it via the app. In hindsight I should have worded my post differently but then I wouldn't of had the chance to increase my post count

I figured he was reading and thinking about this. ..

The OP has a MY22 and is using the Backup Assistant.

PAP is the name of the package. The contents can differ by model year. Remote Control Parking is what came with the LCI.
      05-20-2024, 02:31 PM   #8
simdim
Rep
Drives: X3

Garage List
Thank you. So the consensus is: if I can get it - car will get out unless there is BigFoot sitting in front of the garage. I am not that jaded and can press brake and acceleration - no need to do James Bond and drive a car from the phone . My wife usually keeps her car in "normal" stall and gets very apprehensive if she needs to take my car from "special care needed" stall - this should solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:34 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. So the consensus is: if I can get it - car will get out unless there is BigFoot sitting in front of the garage. I am not that jaded and can press brake and acceleration - no need to do James Bond and drive a car from the phone . My wife usually keeps her car in "normal" stall and gets very apprehensive if she needs to take my car from "special care needed" stall - this should solve the problem.
Yes, it should work fine. I use it every time I leave my garage. You will want to test it though if she is using a different key than you will be using. I don't think the recording is tied to the driver profile but worth checking.
      05-20-2024, 02:58 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The OP has a MY22 and is using the Backup Assistant.

PAP is the name of the package. The contents can differ by model year. Remote Control Parking is what came with the LCI.
D’oh! Somehow I thought they were referring to the LCI. My bad.. . But I think the Backup Assistant works great. 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 03:29 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The LCI has a longer distance it remembers, but seems to operate the same. The US has not had the ability to back in or out of a space using their app or display key, but other places in the world seem to have that option, at least with some models.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 03:33 PM   #12
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Be very careful. If the environment changes since your drive in, the car won’t know and will simple back track how it came in. For example, if your wife drives in first, then you park somehow on the path she drove in, the car won’t know what to so. If ultra sonic sensor works, it will just stop. If ultra sonic sensor fails (like what my car has currently), I am not so sure it won’t hit anything.
      05-20-2024, 03:36 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The driver is always the ultimate safety control when driving the vehicle, at least at the current state of the art. We may get to a fully autonomous driving, but we’re not there yet. The aids can only do so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:14 PM   #14
jotoms
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

I have a my22 45e. I back into my garage, and it’s not terribly tight, but when I come in at certain angles (or the sun hits a certain way) the car will jolt to a stop, even when I have 6-8” of clearance.

I appreciate the feature, but it’s extremely frustrating and nerve-racking. And you never know if it will do it so it usually catches me off-guard.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:30 AM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Auto hold does not, or at least SHOULD not engage until you are actually stopped with your foot on the brake…moving into a tight garage and having the vehicle abruptly stopping is NOT the auto hold function, it is the accident avoidance where it thinks you’re going to hit something.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:27 AM   #16
Lee J. Cook
Rep
Drives: 1995 Nissan Sentra

PAP is great, but not infallible. Therefore, I try not to lose vigilance and, in case of need, switch to manual control. At first, it was necessary to train in a quieter place and check the calibration of the system. Then it became easier to cope even with difficult races.