BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #1
PBT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Blow Off Valve

Good evening,

Is it possible to install blow off valves in the X6M ?
Found some made by turbosmart
Tried searching the forum , wasn't able to find anything

Any insight would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

It’s a closed, recirculating system. I would guess that if you vented it to the atmosphere, your dash would look like a Christmas tree.
Appreciate 2
PBT143.00
ajob463.50
      06-30-2022, 08:04 PM   #3
PBT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
It's a closed, recirculating system. I would guess that if you vented it to the atmosphere, your dash would look like a Christmas tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
It's a closed, recirculating system. I would guess that if you vented it to the atmosphere, your dash would look like a Christmas tree.

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBT View Post
Good evening,

I would recommend you please share the link. That way members can get eyes on what specific part you are referring to. BOVs typically come in three possible designs. Atmosphere, Recirculating, or hybrid (combo of the two previous). The reason this is important was explained by onfireX5
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #5
PBT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post
Quote:
Good evening,

I would recommend you please share the link. That way members can get eyes on what specific part you are referring to. BOVs typically come in three possible designs. Atmosphere, Recirculating, or hybrid (combo of the two previous). The reason this is important was explained by onfireX5
Quote:
Quote:
Good evening,

Part

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-f3x-f-series/
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

I spoke with Andy @ Turner Motorsport for you and that specific valve will not work and there is currently not one for the current F95/F96 platform. I sent an email to go-fast bits in the UK to see if they have anything available. I am still awaiting their response.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
PBT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with Andy @ Turner Motorsport for you and that specific valve will not work and there is currently not one for the current F95/F96 platform. I sent an email to go-fast bits in the UK to see if they have anything available. I am still awaiting their response.
Thank you sir !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

This was the exact response from GFB:

"Thank you for your email regards BOV for your 2021 X5M Competition, currently GFB do not list anything for your car my investigation into your car leads me to believe that your car is charge cooled and thus does not have DV fitted and this is why GFB upgrade is not available."

By "charged cooled", I think he is referring to the air/water heat exchangers. I do not see how that excuses the fact that excess intake side pressure has to be released somewhere and we all hear that classic BMW FART noise between shifts....lol. So this was my response:

"Can you please explain how excess pressure on the intake side of the turbo is bled off? You are correct that it has air/water intercooler for intake charge reduction."

I am still awaiting a response. I will probably get one tomorrow sometime.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 05:07 AM   #9
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

Response from GFB:

Clever use of electronics’/ecu mapping we think they have adopted know how form diesel cars plus air box design, we have found fitting pod filter can induce flutter.

To be honest do not have definitive idea we are still learning about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:06 AM   #10
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC | '20 Z4

Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm just going off memory… but I believe cars with MAP sensors vs MAF can be converted to VTA style BOVs.. but I imagine if you did, you'd introduce a bit of lag/hurt performance for the sake of cool turbo noises. I'm a believer that turbo noises shouldn't be heard on German cars. but that's my own opinion. Again verify everything I'm saying..
GotBeemed417.00
      07-07-2022, 04:55 AM   #11
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm just going off memory… but I believe cars with MAP sensors vs MAF can be converted to VTA style BOVs.. but I imagine if you did, you'd introduce a bit of lag/hurt performance for the sake of cool turbo noises. I'm a believer that turbo noises shouldn't be heard on German cars. but that's my own opinion. Again verify everything I'm saying..
Well, that is just the thing, and if the companies that are responsible for producing "better" or more "efficient" BOV or diverter valves for all kinds of vehicles are telling us that the F95/F96 may not be utilizing these. Again, just like my ceramic brake thread, we are discussing matters that are normally discussed regarding this platform and are attempting to educate (myself more than anyone)....

That being said, I am sure the system has a form of diverter (recirculating) valve like on the previous generation X5/X6. However, it appears that BMW did change the system enough to throw off aftermarket manufacturers. Considering the pandemic and that modifying the F95/F96 platform is not as popular as other platforms, I am sure that any kind of development is going to be none or extremely slow.
Appreciate 3
PBT143.00
-cj-201.00
      12-31-2023, 04:23 PM   #12
coryjoon
Rep
Drives: Honda 2000

Blow off valve

Yes, it is possible to install Blow off valve in the X6M. Turbosmart offers some options. Check with a reputable mechanic or consult the manufacturer's guidelines for proper installation and compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:04 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Just get the Eventuri intake system. The sound from that is pretty darn close to a blow off valve that you can clearly hear inside the car and not mess with the factory recirculating system.
      01-02-2024, 11:31 AM   #14
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I think it is definitely possible. Either way, blow off or recur, charged air (which is metered) is release to before MAF. So either way, the air metering is reset and redo. Just oem like recir because of efficiency. Just need to wait for some to make such a value for the car.