08-09-2023, 02:24 AM   #1
James1988
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Crash Avoidance X5 M50i

Hi All

First time poster and recent BMW owner.

I own a 2022 X5 M50i which comes with all the relevant safety and crash avoidance systems.

Regardless of whether the car is in drive or reverse, the front sensors always go off as I park very close to the wall to allow enough space at the back.

Just one of those days when my mind was not on the job and instead of reversing out of the garage, I put the car into drive and accelerated hitting the front wall. There is some damage to the bonnet and grill due to it hitting the frame of a door built into the wall.

My question is, should the cars safety features stoped the car from hitting the wall? I would have assumed that if it was a car in front, the car would have breaker for me or do I have it all wrong?

Don’t get me wrong, totally my fault, but just wondering if the car was supposed to break? I know when reversing out and if the car thinks there is something there (usually with a drain grate) it won’t let me reverse any further so though something similar would have happened to stop the car hitting the wall.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:32 AM   #2
SuperYes
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLC

Garage List
My 2024 stopped the car as I reversed over long grass the vehicle believed was an obstacle. Not sure about going forward.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 07:43 AM   #3
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Advanced driver assistance systems are yet in their infancy, and IMO manufacturers exaggerate their capability and reliability. In this morning's WSJ online edition (Aug 9th), there's a video that explains how a Tesla on auto-pilot failed collision avoidance with a stationary LEO cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

It may depend on how close you were to the wall and how much speed you got up to prior to hitting the wall.

I've had two occasions where a vehicle stopped suddenly in front of me...both were at a light...and the frontal collision system kicked in and applied the brakes...neither time was I expecting it but glad it worked. Each time...I was already moving forward (starting to accelerate) like between 2 MPH - 4 MPH when the car in front suddenly braked to make a turn that they had not signaled to make.

If you pull up the info in your owners manual embedded in iDrive...you may find some details to help clarify things.

For instance, my older version of iDrive goes into a lot of info if I do a KEYWORD search using DRIVING ASSIST or INTELLIGENT SAFETY:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-09-2023 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0