11-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Ditto on that.
Mine will have third row, so I've got some time...but in looking at the better pictures of anthracite, it seems mostly dark and grey. It should blend nicely into the dash and offer nice (non-conflicting) contrast with the tartufo...or maybe i'm just trying to talk myself into it...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #24
kk88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5 MSport - Week 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1974 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Ditto on that.
Mine will have third row, so I've got some time...but in looking at the better pictures of anthracite, it seems mostly dark and grey. It should blend nicely into the dash and offer nice (non-conflicting) contrast with the tartufo...or maybe i'm just trying to talk myself into it...
Honestly it looks great with the dash as a whole and I think it adds a refined/luxurious look to the cabin. The Matt is more brown compared to grey and overall I think it would look great with a brown, black or beige interior. Personally, I wouldn't get it with a grey interior.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #25
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk88 View Post
Honestly it looks great with the dash as a whole and I think it adds a refined/luxurious look to the cabin. The Matt is more brown compared to grey and overall I think it would look great with a brown, black or beige interior. Personally, I wouldn't get it with a grey interior.
What about the ivory? In your option would it pair well with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This s*it is impossible. Everyone has a different read on it. You're saying it's more brown than grey...a poster above is saying it's more grey/black...goddam these decisions are hard.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #27
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Quote:
This s*it is impossible. Everyone has a different read on it. You're saying it's more brown than grey...a poster above is saying it's more grey/black...goddam these decisions are hard.
The pics I posted above are accurate in their color representation . It's more brown to coco, but some of how it looks will vary on the color leather paired with it. What color are you leaning towards?
      11-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #28
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
The pics I posted above are accurate in their color representation . It's more brown to coco, but some of how it looks will vary on the color leather paired with it. What color are you leaning towards?
I'm struggling. I have mocha in my F15, and while I like it, it's a bit too dark. Would like something lighter. Tartufo looks amazing in some pictures, but too orange in others (I don't mind a reddish tint...but don't really like orange). Coffee looks too dark in some pics, but perfect in others.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #29
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm struggling. I have mocha in my F15, and while I like it, it's a bit too dark. Would like something lighter. Tartufo looks amazing in some pictures, but too orange in others (I don't mind a reddish tint...but don't really like orange). Coffee looks too dark in some pics, but perfect in others.
We had the mocha design in our F15. Like you we wanted lighter and coffee delivers. It's more of a milk chocolate in person and a lighter than the mocha. Cognac looks orange in pictures, but is more tan in persons. Tarfuto is more orange in person if your leaning towards the orange. I adjusted the white balance in my pics so they look as they do in person.
      11-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We had the mocha design in our F15. Like you we wanted lighter and coffee delivers. It's more of a milk chocolate in person and a lighter than the mocha. Cognac looks orange in pictures, but is more tan in persons. Tarfuto is more orange in person if your leaning towards the orange. I adjusted the white balance in my pics so they look as they do in person.
That's really helpful -- appreciate it...and thinking I'll now go with coffee/anthracite.
Appreciate 1
skalberti614.00
      11-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #31
kk88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5 MSport - Week 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
Quote:
What about the ivory? In your option would it pair well with that?
I do actually. The white with the matt brown would look great. Personally I think the contrast would be great. Please post a pic if you do that combo!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #32
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

I thought I would post some pictures of the leather samples in case anyone else is struggling with the colors, like I was. I ordered Tartufo, but changed to Coffee after seeing how orange it looks in person. I had a chance to see samples yesterday in sunlight, and I while its less orange in person than in the pictures, its still fairly orange. I took these pictures on my white (dirty) car with an iPhone X to help maintain color balance. The large swatch of leather is Tartufo that was taken inside next to the small Coffee sample.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
cpd127.00
adr1974127.50
mntbiker123.00
MPoweRo428.00
mcsa65.00
      11-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #33
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca8302 View Post
I thought I would post some pictures of the leather samples in case anyone else is struggling with the colors, like I was. I ordered Tartufo, but changed to Coffee after seeing how orange it looks in person. I had a chance to see samples yesterday in sunlight, and I while its less orange in person than in the pictures, its still fairly orange. I took these pictures on my white (dirty) car with an iPhone X to help maintain color balance. The large swatch of leather is Tartufo that was taken inside next to the small Coffee sample.
Coffee is the perfect color to me. No orange or red.
      11-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #34
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Coffee is the perfect bribe to me. No orange or red.
I did look at all of them and cognac and Tartufo both looked orangish in daylight.

Coffee looked the best, very rich appearing and reminded me of dark saddle color.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #35
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Brown? Grey? Black? Coal? The 4KT Enigma and the Definitive Guidance

Quote:
Across a few threads, I've posted hi-res pix of 4KT, otherwise known at Anthracite-Brown Matte Poplar Wood trim. Search on mbhammer within this forum and you'll find my photos.

Here's the definitive real deal on 4KT: it takes on the color reflected onto it.

Ever painted a room in your house "off-white?" Whichever off-white color you pick, if it's a flat or semi-gloss paint, it will take on the color of what's in the room: the floor, the carpet, the furniture. 100% true.

4KT is a matte finish, and unlike the high-gloss trims, it too will take on the color of what's around it and how what's around it is lit.

Here is 4KT, lit straight-on by direct sunlight:

Name:  IMG_1388.jpg
Views: 5078
Size:  1.64 MB

You see there ALL of the colors people think they see in it. BUT...

Pair it with Coffee leather, take it out of direct sunlight, and the BROWN expresses itself.

Pair it with Black leather, take it out of direct sunlight, and the GREY/BLACK (COAL) expresses itself.

With other color leathers, you'll have to use this insight to predict the impact of the reflected light color on the perceived color of 4KT. For example, I'd think - not certain - that if you pair it with Ivory leather, it'd likely make the authentic wood grain really pop, across it's FULL SPECTRUM of colors. Thinking with the light leather/dark trim contrast, this could be a killer pairing that shows off the beauty (IMHO) of 4KT. Looking forward to seeing photos mid-December from roadkillrob who ordered this combo.

(Personally, I'd shy away from pairing it with Tartufo, since Tartufo tends orange to my eye. But if you do, I'd expect 4KT to appear more brown-ish than grey.)

The other important thing to remember is that tinted windows - both aftermarket and factory - will impact the perceived color of 4KT. Sunlight coming through the windows of a closed-door cabin wrapped with tinted windows will have a blue-ish cast to it. Such lighting will cause 4KT to tend more GREY/BLACK, particularly with black leather.

And there you have it. The enigma solved.

Q: So... what color is 4KT?

A: It depends.

Last edited by mbhammer; 11-21-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 7
adr1974127.50
Tlon173.00
TLg0513.00
mntbiker123.00
Auricom4361.50
cpd127.00
X5_CC288.50
      11-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #36
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post
Quote:
Across a few threads, I've posted hi-res pix of 4KT, otherwise known at Anthracite-Brown Matte Poplar Wood trim. Search on mbhammer within this forum and you'll find my photos.

Here's the definitive real deal on 4KT: [COLOR="Blue"]it takes on the color reflected onto it.[/COLOR]

Ever painted a room in your house "off-white?" Whichever off-white color you pick, if it's a flat or semi-gloss paint, it will take on the color of what's in the room: the floor, the carpet, the furniture. 100% true.

4KT is a matte finish, and unlike the high-gloss trims, it too will take on the color of what's around it and how what's around it is lit.

Attachment 1941182

[COLOR="Blue"]Pair it with Coffee leather, take it out of direct sunlight, and the BROWN expresses itself.

Pair it with Black leather, take it out of direct sunlight, and the GREY/BLACK (COAL) expresses itself.[/COLOR]

(Personally, I'd shy away from pairing it with Tartufo, since Tartufo tends orange to my eye. But if you do, I'd expect 4KT to appear more brown-ish than grey.)

The other important thing to remember is that tinted windows - both aftermarket and factory - will impact the perceived color of 4KT. Sunlight coming through the windows of a closed-door cabin wrapped with tinted windows will have a blue-ish cast to it. Such lighting will cause 4KT to tend more GREY/BLACK, particularly with black leather. With other color leathers, you have to use this insight to predict the impact of the reflected light color on the perceived color of 4KT.

So how do you think it would pair with ivory white?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #37
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
So how do you think it would pair with ivory white?
I will tell you in 3 weeks because that is what I did!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #38
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post

Here's the definitive real deal on 4KT: it takes on the color reflected onto it.

Attachment 1941182

Pair it with Coffee leather, take it out of direct sunlight, and the BROWN expresses itself.

Pair it with Black leather, take it out of direct sunlight, and the GREY/BLACK (COAL) expresses itself.

The other important thing to remember is that tinted windows - both aftermarket and factory - will impact the perceived color of 4KT. Sunlight coming through the windows of a closed-door cabin wrapped with tinted windows will have a blue-ish cast to it. Such lighting will cause 4KT to tend more GREY/BLACK, particularly with black leather. With other color leathers, you have to use this insight to predict the impact of the reflected light color on the perceived color of 4KT.

Well done. This is a late nominee for post of the year.
Appreciate 2
mbhammer202.50
Mark609166.50
      11-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #39
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Updated guidance on choosing 4KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Well done. This is a late nominee for post of the year.
JGoodell Thanks for the appreciation/acknowledgement. Having struggled myself with making the decision without seeing any samples, I empathize with others who are trying to decide if 4KT is right for them or not. I hope my post somehow helps those folks.

In response the the question from adr1974 about pairing 4KT with Ivory, I updated my original post (#35 in this thread).

Good luck to those working through this decision.
adr1974127.50
      11-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #40
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Tastes like chicken, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #41
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Tastes like chicken, too.
You ate 4kt?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 01:23 AM   #42
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I will tell you in 3 weeks because that is what I did!
It's a race! I've ordered this combination as well -- supposed to be a first week December build.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #43
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
It's a race! I've ordered this combination as well -- supposed to be a first week December build.
Sounds like we are in the same week - week 49 is completion first week of December (should go into production next week). You however are a little bit closer to Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #44
Ranger714
Rep
Drives: BME X5

Nice pics
Appreciate 1
skalberti614.00