BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

Android audio pass through

Couldn't find this listed anywhere else so posting a new thread.

I can't seem to get audio from my Samsung S10 to play through the X5 while listening to other audio sources such as the radio.

If I select the mobile connection (S10 Media) option all phone audio is played as expected through the X5 including spotify, maps, etc.

However, as soon as I connect my phone via bluetooth, all audio on the phone is suppressed locally and nothing is broadcast via the X5 if I switch to any other source.

In most cars I've rented, I can establish a bluetooth connection and then set my phone up to say navigate via google maps. I can then listen to the radio or siriusXM or other source and when the phone outputs audio (as in announcing the next turn) it mutes the current source and plays the phone audio. (BTW, I am not talking about using Android Auto - which works fine on most other brand cars - of course NOT ON BMWs but that is an issue for another day!)

Thankfully I almost never use google maps because the nav system in the X5 is outstanding but there are a few times I need to use google maps: 1-when I (rarely) can't get the X5 to recognize an address or 2-when I want Waze to announce hazards or speed traps.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a 'feature' (or lack there of) of the X5.

I should note that my phone responds properly (through the X5) to direct access to google if I hard press the mic button.

I have 7/2019.70 software on a 2019 build.

Thoughts appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Trying to understand...so you're using google maps (for example) and want turn by turn, but also want your music to keep playing while getting direction, right?

If you go into Google Maps, hit settings, and go into navigation...what are your settings? There's some options to tweak what I believe you're looking for. I would mess around with those. If I am understanding correctly...it seems like you may need to go app by app to tweak these settings.
Appreciate 1
gsanto40.00
      12-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
Couldn't find this listed anywhere else so posting a new thread.

I can't seem to get audio from my Samsung S10 to play through the X5 while listening to other audio sources such as the radio.

If I select the mobile connection (S10 Media) option all phone audio is played as expected through the X5 including spotify, maps, etc.

However, as soon as I connect my phone via bluetooth, all audio on the phone is suppressed locally and nothing is broadcast via the X5 if I switch to any other source.

In most cars I've rented, I can establish a bluetooth connection and then set my phone up to say navigate via google maps. I can then listen to the radio or siriusXM or other source and when the phone outputs audio (as in announcing the next turn) it mutes the current source and plays the phone audio. (BTW, I am not talking about using Android Auto - which works fine on most other brand cars - of course NOT ON BMWs but that is an issue for another day!)

Thankfully I almost never use google maps because the nav system in the X5 is outstanding but there are a few times I need to use google maps: 1-when I (rarely) can't get the X5 to recognize an address or 2-when I want Waze to announce hazards or speed traps.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a 'feature' (or lack there of) of the X5.

I should note that my phone responds properly (through the X5) to direct access to google if I hard press the mic button.

I have 7/2019.70 software on a 2019 build.

Thoughts appreciated...
Your experience matches mine and this is a limitation of how the system is designed. There are some workarounds however they are all based upon streaming the content through the phone.

So for example if you want have, audio from Waze or Google maps available at the same time your listening to Sirius XM you'd need to do this:
  • have the audio source be selected to your phone's bluetooth
  • and be also streaming the audio from the Sirius XM phone based App
as opposed to selecting the satellite radio audio source, if you want to listen to an FM radio broadcast, instead of selecting FM radio as the source you'd again need a phone based app source such as Radio.com and stream the FM radio content all from your phone over bluetooth. While not ideal on data usage it accomplishes your goal.

I also use an Android based phone and simply asking the Google Assistant to launch Radio.com or Sirius XM and then follow up by asking the assistant to launch the maps app of your choice makes it fairly easy to manage without needing to handle your phone while driving.

The exception is if you do prefer to use the built in BMW navigation it will simultaneously stream notifications over any audio source; so that should be complimentary to your goals too, I prefer to use Google maps for directions as I get better traffic, alternative routes and alerts for police and incidents, but like having the Heads Up Display (HUD) from the BMW nav can help too, (unless Maps and Nav are taking different routes) so I just mute the BMW Nav and stream the Google maps audio.

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 12-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: adding content
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

Thanks... helpful. I have gotten so used to using the main BMW interface I forget that I can get the same thing on my phone and I'll try that. As I mentioned, I actually rarely use my phone given the BMW UI has improved so much (believe me, compared to my wifes Merc and my sons Audi, it is so much better.).

Now I just saw an announcement that Android auto is coming to BMWs this summer so it will be interesting to see how it integrates.
Appreciate 0