BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #45
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

On the 21 40i’s, do you have to turn the ASS off in the menu every time you start the car? That would suck!
Appreciate 1
hyde488.00
      08-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #46
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I'm more curious to know how perceptible the start-stop is for daily use. I absolutely hate start/stop in cars and when I found out (after placing my order) that BMW went to the mandatory 48V hybrid setup, I tried to change to an M50i but my dealer had no remaining allocations for those. I'm hoping this new system, with the electric assist, will at least be far less noticeable than the earlier implementations. I believe there is a possible design that I could tolerate but it really has to work flawlessly, for me.

Any feedback on the experience? A video would be awesome! (just sayin').

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      08-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #47
84illini
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

I just picked up my 2021 X40 yesterday and there is no button. I have gone through every menu (could have missed) and have not noticed the engine stopping. In my 2018 I turned it off with button as I hated it. I am calling genius tomorrow and I will let everyone know what they say.
Appreciate 3
MystroX56244.50
LexxM31697.50
Nooch19.50
      08-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #48
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84illini View Post
I just picked up my 2021 X40 yesterday and there is no button. I have gone through every menu (could have missed) and have not noticed the engine stopping. In my 2018 I turned it off with button as I hated it. I am calling genius tomorrow and I will let everyone know what they say.
Thanks, I’m curious to hear more one this. Does the vehicle turn off when you have it in drive but come to an extended stop?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I have a 19 and rarely notice the start/stop system. I had to tell just about everyone that was in the vehicle that the engine was shutting off and starting up because they didn't notice it either.

The engine stops immediately, it does not have to be an extended stop. It also is usually smart enough to not stop when you are at a stop sign. It will start up again when it sees the vehicle in front of you start moving or if you take your foot off the brake.

I have not seen a need to turn it off but it is a personal thing. My brother also has an X5 and the start/stop bugs him but not his wife when she drives.
Appreciate 3
mocad39.00
Cooltones241.00
      08-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #50
84illini
Rep

Quote:
Update. On my drive to work this morning, the engine did stop at a stop. It was not very noticeable and the tach displayed a "ready" message near the zero.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #51
84illini
Rep

Confirmed-the 2021 X5 removes the ability to turn off auto start/stop. This was relayed to me by the genius at the dealership. It was said it was removed due to "government regulations". It was recommended to set up an individual sport profile with all comfort settings except turning off auto start stop. This way you can drive in "comfort mode without auto start/stop. The downside is you have to select this every time as comfort is the default.

Hopefully the programmers can code something!!
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      08-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #52
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Consider yourself very lucky.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #53
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The only time I ever really notice mine is when it's very hot outside b/c you can feel the AC dip it's coolness level until the ASS kicks back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #54
spike5150
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Confirmed-the 2021 X5 removes the ability to turn off auto start/stop. This was relayed to me by the genius at the dealership. It was said it was removed due to "government regulations". It was recommended to set up an individual sport profile with all comfort settings except turning off auto start stop. This way you can drive in "comfort mode without auto start/stop. The downside is you have to select this every time as comfort is the default.

You can code the driving mode at start up in something besides Comfort. Maybe this will be the workaround.

I personally despise this feature with a vengeance.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #55
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:

You can use Bimmercode and have the X5 start in any mode you want. I have mine set to start in adaptive mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #56
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

That is the most ridiculous BMW anti-customer design fart yet, and that is saying something as there have been a lot. I guess MY2019 and MY2020 are going command a premium on the used market, new boat here I come. LOL
      08-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #57
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:

That is the most ridiculous BMW anti-customer design fart yet, and that is saying something as there have been a lot. I guess MY2019 and MY2020 are going command a premium on the used market, new boat here I come. LOL
"Removed due to government regulations" always reminds me that when insurance premium increases for no reasons, the agent tells you that "because you live in New York City and there are more cars on the roads, so the probability of getting into an accident is higher." Yes, this happened to me once from Geico and I immediately switched to another company.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:35 AM   #58
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I think it is likely removed to help meet emissions standards. With the 48v hybrid system it should be a much smoother auto start/stop experience and give better fuel economy. I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:40 AM   #59
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
"Removed due to government regulations" always reminds me that when insurance premium increases for no reasons, the agent tells you that "because you live in New York City and there are more cars on the roads, so the probability of getting into an accident is higher." Yes, this happened to me once from Geico and I immediately switched to another company.
But that's EXACTLY how insurance premiums are calculated: based on probability of getting into an accident. The number of cars on the road in your area is directly correlated to the number of accidents and possibility of being involved in one...

As for the "no reason", well, there's always a reason. Could be a change in their assessment of New York traffic, a change in your situation, a larger number of claims in your area, an increase in the amount of cars of your type being stolen, inflation, new taxes or fees, etc. etc. etc. The reason may not be good, but I'm sure its there. It's ALWAYS good to keep shopping around for new companies though, because they all do different calculations and all adjust premiums from time to time. Insurance: one of the greatest scams you're required to take part in.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      08-25-2020, 01:52 AM   #60
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

When I had my F15, I could always control auto start/stop by applying light brake or push it all the way down. It was very easy, so I did not mind it too much so I did not find the need the code it off, I coded bunch of other stuff though.

Does G05 have the same type of full control over brakes where you can keep it lightly pressed at traffic light or intersection so X5 stops but does not turn off?

I hate Auto Start/Stop because there has been multiple instances where I came to a stop, trying to turn left on 2-way road, rolling downhill, I would creep forward and turn when cars climb up slower. With Auto SS, sometimes I end up getting stuck there waiting for it to restart because it just decided to stop when I was rolling (this has been an issue with Q7's and some X5's in the past, actually stopping the engine before the vehicle comes to a complete stop)

So dealer & manufacturer actually thinks this totally unsafe and possible dangerous function is too important to maintain reported fuel economy, and does not let the driver control their car completely. It's like telling me I cannot turn off auto wipers that sometimes unnecessarily starts wiping and causing smear/mud/freeze in the winter. At least we can still control those. "Switch to Sport mode" is not really a valid option, when I am on stop and go, Sport mode is way too jerky.
      08-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #61
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
When I had my F15, I could always control auto start/stop by applying light brake or push it all the way down. It was very easy, so I did not mind it too much so I did not find the need the code it off, I coded bunch of other stuff though.

Does G05 have the same type of full control over brakes where you can keep it lightly pressed at traffic light or intersection so X5 stops but does not turn off?

I hate Auto Start/Stop because there has been multiple instances where I came to a stop, trying to turn left on 2-way road, rolling downhill, I would creep forward and turn when cars climb up slower. With Auto SS, sometimes I end up getting stuck there waiting for it to restart because it just decided to stop when I was rolling (this has been an issue with Q7's and some X5's in the past, actually stopping the engine before the vehicle comes to a complete stop)

So dealer & manufacturer actually thinks this totally unsafe and possible dangerous function is too important to maintain reported fuel economy, and does not let the driver control their car completely. It's like telling me I cannot turn off auto wipers that sometimes unnecessarily starts wiping and causing smear/mud/freeze in the winter. At least we can still control those. "Switch to Sport mode" is not really a valid option, when I am on stop and go, Sport mode is way too jerky.
Other than being able to press the brake pedal harder to make it shut off when it didn't, I have not noticed any other "brake control".

There definitely is no waiting for the engine to start, it is immediate and in over 22k miles with it have never had a situation when the engine wasn't running when needed.

As far as sport goes, I have never found it to be jerky but that could just be a matter if driving style.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      08-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #62
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

When we bought our 2019 G05 two years ago, our genius said the ability to disable the Auto Start/Stop would be going away in a few years. Looks like that time is now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #63
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Count myself lucky that my MY20 I can turn it off with a click of a button. I would actually prefer to code it off by default.

The logic behind ASS is too unpredictable from driver's point of view. How many times I slow down enough to the stop sign and just about to go that ASS decided to shut down the engine. As I press the accelerator pedal, it wakes up agsin within like 200ms.... Totally useless
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #64
spike5150
Captain
Rep

ASS is way to laggy for my performance oriented driving of my Ultimate Driving Machine.

If I wanted an Ultimate Emission Reduction Machine, I would buy a Tesla and then commence deluding myself that it contributes no emissions since electricity magically comes out of those little holes in the wall.

Fortunately my 2020 M50i doesn't have this issue. But we are looking at a 2021 40i for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #65
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I personally don’t mind the ASS system in my 40i and think overall it probably improves my mileage over the long run. The only times I turn it off are when I am a few cars behind a stop sign and I know I am only going to be stopping briefly if at all as each car goes through. Sometimes in stop and go traffic I’ll turn it off as well.

As others have mentioned you can feel and hear a dip in the AC when the engine shuts off but otherwise it is the smoothest stop / start I’ve felt as there is no noticeable jerk or vibration when the engine turns back on (unlike the Mercedes GLE 350 which is very noticeable).

You can control the shutoff a bit... I’ve noticed that if I come to a very slow rolling stop it will sometimes not turn off, and if you are stopped and the engine is running you can hard press the break and the engine will usually cut off then.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #66
JJ Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

So the only way to remove the ASS on the 2021s is to drive in sport mode?
Appreciate 0