BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I recently purchased the volume button from Car Analysis to complete the crystal series in my MY21.

It's almost embarrassing that I'm stuck on such a simple upgrade and I'm hoping to get some help.

I tried to remove the trim as shown in the video (link below) and ended up marring the trim ring a bit due to insufficient cloth between the pliers and knob. I doubled up cloth and really went at it for 30 or so minutes. Not even slightly loosened.

I feel the whole knob moving in its housing and the whole head unit also moves under the strain of my wiggling/pulling.

Still didn't get it out.

For those of you that went through this mod, any tips or advice on how to get the trim ring off without feeling like you'll yank the unit out of your dashboard?

03-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I had this exact issue with the unit in my dec 45e. ended up marring the silver volume ring from the pliers despite wrapping cloth around it. one guy drilled a small shallow hole in the middle of the original black on/off button and popped it off (it's like a button cap). he was then able to snap the crystal button on. he never removed the silver volume ring.

I actually found a European head unit from a Polish BMW parts site that already had the crystal volume button. everything about it looked the same as my US unit, but I could easily remove its silver volume ring without any tools. WTH?!

during the attempts on my unit, the whole volume assembly and the black trim behind it came out together. one small retention tab broke on the trim, but it didn't affect fitting it back on. I took the whole volume assembly/trim from the European unit and placed them onto mine.

Car Analysis accepted the return of the crystal button I never installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Yup, happened to me, broke the trim, had to spend a little over a Benjamin for a replacement unit on Ebay.
On my replacement assembly, I used two needle nose screwdrivers, and lifted the trim from the back side of the trim, not from the front. It easily came apart, just do not use pliers to remove the trim. Good luck!
Name:  IMG_0850.jpg
Views: 4067
Size:  203.3 KB

Last edited by Maximus2002; 03-05-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. I might take the drilled hole approach. Sounds easy enough and I'll try to keep the hole in the middle of the "o" in "Vol"

If the hole method doesn't work, at least the drilled portion won't be as visible haha
      03-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #5
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Yup, happened to me, broke the trim, had to spend a little over a Benjamin for a replacement unit on Ebay.
On my replacement assembly, I used two needle nose screwdrivers, and lifted the trim from the back side of the trim, not from the front. It easily came apart, just do not use pliers to remove the trim. Good luck!
Attachment 2544198
Sounds like you're saying that you jimmied it from the edge closest to the dash?

I tried that with a tiny flathead but it was causing the whole knob assembly to move forward. I was worried it would come out in my hands
      03-05-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Sounds like you're saying that you jimmied it from the edge closest to the dash?

I tried that with a tiny flathead but it was causing the whole knob assembly to move forward. I was worried it would come out in my hands
That is correct. Flat head didn't work for me, you should use two needle nose screwdrivers to lift the trim from behind. Try the drilling method, if it sounds a safe way to remove the thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #7
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is correct. Flat head didn't work for me, you should use two needle nose screwdrivers to lift the trim from behind. Try the drilling method, if it sounds a safe way to remove the thing.
Yeah, I guess you have a point. A less permanent damage approach might be safer. Too dark to go fiddle around with it so I'll take a crack at it tomorrow.

Thankfully the other mod (stainless steel pedals) worked out just fine.
      03-05-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I guess you have a point. A less permanent damage approach might be safer. Too dark to go fiddle around with it so I'll take a crack at it tomorrow.

Yes, guilty on that. I burnt the iDrive controller when I was struggling with replacing it with the crystal controller. I blame it on not having enough light, as well as getting used to my first BMW.
If you zoom in, you would see that the ribbon cable is damaged on at least 5 connections. Yes, that did cost me as well, but I guess I am learning it the hard way
I have the stainless steel pedals as well, good thing that I didn't mess that one up!

Name:  IMG_0699.jpg
Views: 3960
Size:  232.4 KB

Last edited by Maximus2002; 03-05-2021 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, guilty on that. I burnt the iDrive controller when I was struggling with replacing it with the crystal controller. I blame it on not having enough light, as well as getting used to my first BMW.
If you zoom in, you would see that the ribbon cable is damaged on at least 5 connections. Yes, that did cost me as well, but I guess I am learning it the hard way
I have the stainless steel pedals as well, good thing that I didn't mess that one up!

Attachment 2544566
Lol sometimes we have to learn the hard way in life. I've learned the lesson of not having enough light on my GS F and my previous M5. Had to learn twice
      03-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 g05

Did you get it install yet? Any trick n tip? I tries the needle screwdriver and it still not coming off
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #11
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otommytruongo View Post
Did you get it install yet? Any trick n tip? I tries the needle screwdriver and it still not coming off
I wasn't able to mess with it this past weekend. Ended up getting an appointment for my vaccine and that thing knocked me on my ass lol.

Hoping to get it done this coming weekend
      03-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #12
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I'd reached out to Martin with Car Analysis and he provided some tips as well. I'll mess around with my car this weekend and see if any of these work for me. In the meantime, adding this here for anyone else having issues:

"• It may help to remove the whole Favorite button panel from the car, as
this could enhance the grip on this unit.

• Drilling into the OEM volume button could perhaps help, in that you can
remove this button first. That could make it possible to reach inside the
trim ring with screwdrivers, and pry it off. I would drill a small hole in
the middle and screw in a small screw firmly in the hole. Then you can
pull out the button, holding the screw with a suitable pair of pliers.

• The trim ring has 3 grooves, positioned at 90, 180 and 270 degrees. One
side of the ring does not have any groove. The grooves hold the ring to
the base. By trial and error, if you can find the ring side that does not
have a groove and wiggle up on that side, the ring may come off. Rotate
the grip of the pliers 1/4 to 1/3 turn between each attempt.

We have also contacted the factory for further advise.
"
      03-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #13
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update: I'd reached out to Martin with Car Analysis and he provided some tips as well. I'll mess around with my car this weekend and see if any of these work for me. In the meantime, adding this here for anyone else having issues:

"• It may help to remove the whole Favorite button panel from the car, as
this could enhance the grip on this unit.

• Drilling into the OEM volume button could perhaps help, in that you can
remove this button first. That could make it possible to reach inside the
trim ring with screwdrivers, and pry it off. I would drill a small hole in
the middle and screw in a small screw firmly in the hole. Then you can
pull out the button, holding the screw with a suitable pair of pliers.

• The trim ring has 3 grooves, positioned at 90, 180 and 270 degrees. One
side of the ring does not have any groove. The grooves hold the ring to
the base. By trial and error, if you can find the ring side that does not
have a groove and wiggle up on that side, the ring may come off. Rotate
the grip of the pliers 1/4 to 1/3 turn between each attempt.

We have also contacted the factory for further advise.
"

let me know which technique you chosed to do and work when you get it installed. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
let me know which technique you chosed to do and work when you get it installed. thanks
So Martin reached back out and says he has some sort of sticky rubber like material that is used for other installs.

The idea is you activate the rubber > adhere it to the part > let it sit so it can bond > then pull

I'm opting for this method first as it doesn't require drilling. He sent out the material today and I'll have it Monday at the latest hopefully.

If that doesn't work, I'll be doing the drill method as it's pretty straightforward and he confirmed that it should work

Whatever I do, I'll try to take pictures as I work through so there's a tutorial of sorts. Will post here when completed
      03-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

cool thanks, yeah post and let us know. i did that sticky bond thing with the start stop button it worked fine, but for the volume knob im afraid its not just the bezel that will come off but rather the whole button .
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #16
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
cool thanks, yeah post and let us know. i did that sticky bond thing with the start stop button it worked fine, but for the volume knob im afraid its not just the bezel that will come off but rather the whole button .
Yeah I had the same concern. I'm probably going to hold the bezel in place with one hand and yank the button with the other.

Such a simple upgrade but it's turning into a headache quickly lol
      03-12-2021, 11:29 PM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Dang, guys. I have the crystal volume knob just waiting for me to install it, and you're making me nervous for when I actually have an opportunity to put it on!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 01:14 AM   #18
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Dang, guys. I have the crystal volume knob just waiting for me to install it, and you're making me nervous for when I actually have an opportunity to put it on!
Have you install it? I will do the same for my car next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Have you install it? I will do the same for my car next week.
Not yet... waiting until I get to a shop, or at least I have access to some basic tools, before I do!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Not yet... waiting until I get to a shop, or at least I have access to some basic tools, before I do!
there appears to be some differences in manufacturing between MY21 and pre-MY21 volume knob units. in my original MY21 radio unit, the silver volume ring was impossible to remove. in my replacement radio unit with crystal knob already installed (it came from EU and pre-MY21), i could remove the ring with just my fingers, no tools required. the installation video from AliExpress shows this, which is in contrast with Car Analysis's installation video where tools are used, but when i corresponded with Martin at Car Analysis, the demo radio unit used in their video was also pre-MY21, so while the tools probably aided the ring's removal, they likely weren't needed.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-13-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #21
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
there appears to be some differences in manufacturing between MY21 and pre-MY21 volume knob units. in my original MY21 radio unit, the silver volume ring was impossible to remove. in my replacement radio unit with crystal knob already installed (it came from EU and pre-MY21), i could remove the ring with just my fingers, no tools required. the installation video from AliExpress shows this, which is in contrast with Car Analysis's installation video where tools are used, but when i corresponded with Martin at Car Analysis, the demo radio unit used in their video was also pre-MY21, so while the tools probably aided the ring's removal, they likely weren't needed.
I'm expecting to get the rubber compound tomorrow to help yank the button.

You might not have an answer for this, but since you have had both types of units, do you believe the button still can be pulled? Leaving the ring in place but just pulling the middle button itself.
      03-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #22
///Gunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 / 2021 BMW X5

I just replaced mine, 2021 (nov 20 built), x40i, it came off pretty easy, without removing the unit.... all I used was a microfiber towel and pliers... didnt really pulled hard, more like "shaked it off"... off in seconds... good luck to all!
smomin23311.00