BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
absolut257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 x40i M Sport

Looking for All Season tires (275/45/20 & 305/40/20)

So far I'm seeing the following options on Tire Rack and Discount Tire:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec (N0 Porsche)
2) Yokohama AVID GT S35A (N0 Porsche)
3) Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S (N1 Porsche)

Has anyone had experience with any of these tires in these sizes? So far I'm leaning towards Michelins due to their superior ride comfort over Pirelli's as per Tire Rack ratings. Unfortunately I have not seen any reviews for the Yokohamas. Would there be an issue running the Porsche OE spec tires on the X5? These will go on my aftermarket wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #2
Coolhand92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i M Sport

Out of the 3 I would pick Michelin. If Conti DWS 06 Plus UHP tires came in 305 I would recommend those in a heart beat.
Appreciate 1
Forgiven121.50
      01-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
ConservativeConsumer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

I would not go Pirelli Verde. Still feel some bad taste in my mouth hearing "Pirelli" - after using them on my VW Touareg 8-9 years ago. Not familiar with the other two.

You might want to look at Michelin Cross Climate SUV. Very precise-driving and sharp looking tires. Driven straight are quiet, on curves you'll hear them a bit.
Vredestein Quatrac Pro might be another good option to look at - they are nice while are underpriced (IMO) - their maker being a comparably new to the US market. Excellent option for folks in mild winters regions as they are better than average for light snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:43 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I've had very favorable experience with Michelin over the years.

while the sizes are BMW-spec, the tires are not. being 'spec' has to do with how the tire's design and composition marries up with the vehicle's driving characteristics. the engineers spent lots of time on the track figuring this out, and since Porsches and BMWs aren't the same, their respective OEM-spec tires aren't made the same, but I doubt that'll hurt driving in the real world (as opposed to the track)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
ConservativeConsumer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I certainly have no doubts whatsoever about real world use of tires.

I am even not sure if what you're saying about track testing is accurate in this new world anymore. It is quite more probable that BMW and Whatever-brand-tire-maker simply run some business together or, quite likely, their CEOs play golf on the same course.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post

I am even not sure if what you're saying about track testing is accurate in this new world anymore. It is quite more probable that BMW and Whatever-brand-tire-maker simply run some business together or, quite likely, their CEOs play golf on the same course.
woah! take a step back, my man!

my post was addressing the OP's concern by inferring that Porsche OE tires installed on his BMW will be fine on 'real world' roads. It wasn't even directed at you specifically, so i don't know why you think I'm recusing your knowledge of tire use (or anything for that matter)

The BMW "star" OE tires may matter depending who you are and what/where you drive. look before you leap, bruh
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:36 PM   #7
ConservativeConsumer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post

my post was addressing the OP's concern by inferring that Porsche OE tires installed on his BMW will be fine on 'real world' roads. It wasn't even directed at you specifically, so i don't know why you think I'm recusing your knowledge of tire use (or anything for that matter)

The BMW "star" OE tires may matter depending who you are and what/where you drive. look before you leap, bruh
Hey, that was a joke if you want to know! Happy Friday!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, that was a joke if you want to know! Happy Friday!
Ok
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
absolut257
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've had very favorable experience with Michelin over the years.

while the sizes are BMW-spec, the tires are not. being 'spec' has to do with how the tire's design and composition marries up with the vehicle's driving characteristics. the engineers spent lots of time on the track figuring this out, and since Porsches and BMWs aren't the same, their respective OEM-spec tires aren't made the same, but I doubt that'll hurt driving in the real world (as opposed to the track)
Well explained but who the hell takes their family SUV to the race track? Based on my extensive calculations there is a higher probability of me doing donuts in a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:02 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut257 View Post
Well explained but who the hell takes their family SUV to the race track? Based on my extensive calculations there is a higher probability of me doing donuts in a parking lot.
many guys track their X5s.

i recall you're the one who asked our opinions if the Porsche OE tires would be a problem on your X5. I said they wouldn't based on your concern in the first place: the fact they're spec'd differently than BMW OE tires. My first post simply helped to explain why.

why be snarky to me, newbie? if you're not ready for the knowledge contained within this forum, why are you here?
Quote:
Would there be an issue running the Porsche OE spec tires on the X5?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:48 AM   #11
TexasBimmer89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for dropping this video.

My take away is what, most people aren't going to notice a difference. But those individuals who take their cars to the track (especially M cars) will notice.

In my case, my wife drives an X5 40i with staggered 21" wheels. BMW sends these X5s out with one of three tires (Continental, Pirelli, or Hankook).

Her car is a daily driver/grocery getter, so I'm not worried about getting exact OEM tires when they need to be replaced. Might even go up slightly to the Merc GLE450 tires.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4591.00
      01-15-2022, 08:35 AM   #12
absolut257
Private
United_States
Rep

Daily driving comfort (noise/road bumps) is all I care about between the various brands. Yokohamas are categorized as grand touring while others are performance oriented, I wonder how much of a difference that would make.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Daily driving comfort (noise/road bumps) is all I care about between the various brands. Yokohamas are categorized as grand touring while others are performance oriented, I wonder how much of a difference that would make.
i'm sure it makes some difference since they're described and marketed differently.
https://www.tiresplus.com/blog/tires...ormance-tires/
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-types
https://www.tirereview.com/grand-touring-tire/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #14
absolut257
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote: