BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2023, 01:50 AM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

DEFINITIVE answer on tuning production dates

Does anyone have the answer to this? I found a certified 2020 X5MC with all the options I want in Carbon Black, like my F85.
It has a production date of 7-24-2020. Is this too late?
I'd hate to buy it and not be able to tune it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
Does anyone have the answer to this? I found a certified 2020 X5MC with all the options I want in Carbon Black, like my F85.
It has a production date of 7-24-2020. Is this too late?
I'd hate to buy it and not be able to tune it.
The generally established cutoff is build date of 06/2020 or later. While it’s possible how you have a left over DME from prior to 06/2020, it varies. The only way to verify that is to either pull the DME’s and look at the build date on the label for the DME or easier method is to connect ISTA and it will show the DME build date if you drill down into the DME in the tree view. My 2021 X7 had a vehicle mfg date of 2020-09-10, DME programming date of 2020-09-03 and DME mfg date of 2020-07-03. I barely missed the cutoff with the DME mfg date with a September build. The DME mfg date is what matters because that’s the date Bosch made the DME and it’s a physical chip change with Bosch that causes the issue. It’s now more secure.

That said, post 06/2020 can be tuned, you just have to ship the DME’s to Femto in Finland. The other option is piggyback which gives you most of the benefits of flash unless heavily modified.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
The generally established cutoff is build date of 06/2020 or later. While it’s possible how you have a left over DME from prior to 06/2020, it varies. The only way to verify that is to either pull the DME’s and look at the build date on the label for the DME or easier method is to connect ISTA and it will show the DME build date if you drill down into the DME in the tree view. My 2021 X7 had a vehicle mfg date of 2020-09-10, DME programming date of 2020-09-03 and DME mfg date of 2020-07-03. I barely missed the cutoff with the DME mfg date with a September build. The DME mfg date is what matters because that’s the date Bosch made the DME and it’s a physical chip change with Bosch that causes the issue. It’s now more secure.

That said, post 06/2020 can be tuned, you just have to ship the DME’s to Femto in Finland. The other option is piggyback which gives you most of the benefits of flash unless heavily modified.
I was afraid of that. Thanks. I have (had) a JB4 and Meth injection on my F85 and it worked fine. I can't run downpipes with it though. I also have a BM3 license. I was hoping to go with a full custom tune this time.
Even an OTC BM3 tune can be used for enhanced cooling and turning off the loud exhaust on a cold start. That was kind of nice.
Appreciate 0