BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #1
Stuabroad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i MSport

2019 X5 Xdrive 40i - Dealer Prep

Hey guys

Just about to take posession this coming week of my "new to me" X5. I'm flying out of Province here in Canada to get this vehicle, so I wanted to make sure that the dealer has prepped the vehicle for me in advance. I'm specifically talking about the iDrive firmware/software version and the onboard maps(less important). It's still in Warranty until Nov' 2023. Is that usually something you need to pay for or should i be asking for it to be checked and updated as part of the dealer cusomer service. Also, anything else i should be asking them to check before driving away?
      04-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Congrats. I am in final stages of deciding to keep my Canadian 2019 40i at lease end in a month or trade in (as it’s value is a fair bit higher than lease buyout right now) for a 2023 45e. Pretty sure I am going to keep it, it’s been a great and reliable car … and a few other reasons.

To your question: unfortunately it probably “depends”. BMW used to reimburse dealers service for software upgrades only if it was to solve a customer-reported problem, but not sure if that’s still a policy as it was idiotic. A few dealers (like mine or at least for me) will deal with BMW in the background and update me for free whenever I ask (longer story, but I actually have a standing order to NOT update my software now).

But you’re buying from the sales side, not service, so not sure what their prep approach is and dealers vary in competence. It really is something that you should discuss with the dealer directly (or should have before purchase). If I was in your position starting with the car new to me, I would absolutely require 100% updated software and all recalls performed — it’s asking for hassles later if that’s not the case, particularly with out of town and multiple dealer relationships to manage.

You’ll also want to take a look at expiring Connected Drive services that are included in the first 4 years. I was worried about it, but my account allowed me to renew for $150/year + tax and separately Drive Recorder — both worked, although the eCommerce flow was pretty broken both times and indicated failure after taking my money (but did actually work) — competence is not BMW marketing entities’ strong suit (vs BMW engineering).
      04-11-2023, 12:18 AM   #3
Stuabroad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Congrats. I am in final stages of deciding to keep my Canadian 2019 40i at lease end in a month or trade in (as it’s value is a fair bit higher than lease buyout right now) for a 2023 45e. Pretty sure I am going to keep it, it’s been a great and reliable car … and a few other reasons.

To your question: unfortunately it probably “depends”. BMW used to reimburse dealers service for software upgrades only if it was to solve a customer-reported problem, but not sure if that’s still a policy as it was idiotic. A few dealers (like mine or at least for me) will deal with BMW in the background and update me for free whenever I ask (longer story, but I actually have a standing order to NOT update my software now).

But you’re buying from the sales side, not service, so not sure what their prep approach is and dealers vary in competence. It really is something that you should discuss with the dealer directly (or should have before purchase). If I was in your position starting with the car new to me, I would absolutely require 100% updated software and all recalls performed — it’s asking for hassles later if that’s not the case, particularly with out of town and multiple dealer relationships to manage.

You’ll also want to take a look at expiring Connected Drive services that are included in the first 4 years. I was worried about it, but my account allowed me to renew for $150/year + tax and separately Drive Recorder — both worked, although the eCommerce flow was pretty broken both times and indicated failure after taking my money (but did actually work) — competence is not BMW marketing entities’ strong suit (vs BMW engineering).
Thanks man, I was reading up on all the Conected Drive and various other accessories. I've already told the dealer I want it all updated before I arrive Wednesday, haven't heard a definitive reply other than "you can download updates via the BMW MyApp" lol
      04-11-2023, 12:21 AM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
OTA updates are a thing, but they are unreliable, unpredictable, can stop being offered for unknown/obscure reasons, and even if everything else works, are always at least a quarter behind. A new to you car should certainly be updated by the dealer.
      04-12-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

For a 2019, are there any potential concerns with any updates that would prevent it from being flash tuned in the future? I would like things updated (if there's a REAL benefit), but not at the expense of not being able to flash tune in the future

Driving fun > Features for me - technology in these x5's is good enough as it is anyway. Curious on your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 07:30 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

BMW may release a s/w update in future that somehow stops flash tunes, but 1. we won't know until it happens and 2. BMW won't tell us that the s/w update does this.

So my advice would be to not install future s/w updates when they're first released - let someone else be the guinea pig
Appreciate 0