BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2023, 06:12 PM   #1
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

50e owner observations after a few days with a 740i loaner

So our 50e went in for recall service. Prior to the initiation of service, the dealer called to offer me my choice of loaner -- a 230, a 530 or a 740. Seemed like a dumb question -- give me the fanciest thing ya got! Although, admittedly I was disappointed with not being able to try an iX.

Anyway, I had the 740 for a few days and it was interesting to compare some aspects to our 2000+ miles with the 50e. While the vehicles service different audiences and different purposes, their prices were actually surprisingly close. Our 50e is about $90k (with just about everything other than leather or non-stock wheels). The 740i was right at about $100k (the sticker was in the glove box). It was not overly optioned, but did have the Premium Package and DAP, which was very similar in operation to that in the 50e. So call it about a 10-12% difference in sticker price.

So a few observations:

1. I miss the 50e's electric motor. I really love having the option of doing the bulk of my driving in electric mode. And even in EV only mode, the instant torque of the 50e is just nice to have vs. the brief wait for the ICE motor to spool up.

2. The seats in the 740i were supremely comfortable. I mean, my backside really enjoyed every moment in those seats. The 740s seats were largely standard. They did have cooling, but no massage. They did not have the thigh extension. And I think all 740s are leather. When I got back in my 50e today, I was disappointed with the comfort in comparison. I know some have speculated that the ventilation and massage capabilities (which we have) make the seat harder. I don't know if those are the culprit. But whatever the case may be, I am disappointed relative to the 740 experience. The 740 just felt damn good to sit in. Being back in the X5 felt more like sitting ON the seats, not in.

3. Further to that, the side bolster range is way better in the 740. I love having those bolsters clamp down on me and the 740 almost could go too far. Back in the 50e, I had to double check that I had tightened them up. I confirmed I had... and they really don't do much. It's surprising that the 740 would offer so much bolster range, given you really think about that car as as a luxe-barge/limo where lateral support is less necessary than in your X5 "sport" activity vehicle.

4. The crystal iDrive controller in the 740 feels way more premium than in the 50e. The clicks are just super damped and the dial has nice weight to it. It feels more like a true luxury item, whereas in the 50e, it feels a little more kind of faux fancy -- just my opinion, of course.

5. The volume control on the 740, which is not a traditional dial, but is a crystal wheel below the iDrive controller that you scroll up and down, is WAY more linear and predictable in usage than on the 50e. I absolutely hate how the volume dial works in my car. It's either too slow if you are trying to be granular, or too fast when you are frustrated with the slow response and crank it for some action. The 740 increased volume proportionally with how fast you spin the dial -- just like cars have been able to achieve for decades. (This is one of my pet peeves with the X5, if you couldn't tell)...

6. ...however, it is super easy to accidentally press that dial down in the 740i, inadvertently triggering mute. Silly design decision. You win some and you lose some between the two vehicles on this one.

7. I was surprised the Sky Lounge sun roof doesn't actually open on the 740. Seems like table stakes for a $100k car. Point to the X5 (although I rarely actually open the thing).

8. My opinion only, but the interior ambient lighting is kind of gimmicky on both (specifically the chevrons and the "X5" near the glove box), but I think it will age better in the X5 over time, compared to the far more prominent mood lighting in the 740. But there is some fun "wow" value of the lighting in the 740 with its light bar that runs from door-to-door and across the dash.

9. The 740 just feels more solid and quiet. Like more than 10-12% solid and quiet (referring again to the price difference). I'm sure all the sound deadening and acoustic glass -- which I think the X5 no longer has in the US -- gives it more of a vault-like feel.

10. The Bowers & Wilkins systems is noticeably better than the HK in the 50e. That might be in part due to #9 -- e.g., less road and wind noise to contend with. But it just was noticeably more full sounding and really made me want to crank tunes for the period I had this car. I think the HK system is perfectly nice in my car, but just not as nice as the B&W. This was NOT the Diamond upgrade in the 740. Just the standard B&W. Too bad the upgrade isn't currently offered on the 50e.

11. The brakes felt a lot more linear and responsive on the 740. I can totally feel the weight of the batteries in the 50e. I am learning that you really need to brake earlier (even compared to my 2011 X5) given the heft that needs to be managed.

Anyway, with all that said, the 740 is not for me. I felt like a chauffeur the few days I had it. But I also thought it was interesting to compare and made me feel like BMW is maybe taking a bit of advantage of the massive popularity of the X5 by cutting some corners, but not correspondingly cutting the price, as they know the consumers are going to be there. I get it, that's just sound business logic -- supply and demand. But man, I wish they could port that seat comfort over... or allow me to spend up even a bit more to get 'em...

Maybe I should have had them loan me the 230i... But in all seriousness, we are still enjoying the 50e -- so don't want people to take this as a bashing. Just observations (and a few wishes)...
Appreciate 6
      08-18-2023, 07:42 PM   #2
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

Good stuff. I totally get the frustration with the X5 volume knob. I hate it so much that I just don’t use it. I either use the steering g shell control or gesture control.

As for the seats, I also have messaging and I have read it makes the seats harder or less comfortable. But for long trips, the massaging is a must for me. The seats are awesome as compared to my F15…night and day difference.

When my 50e was in the shop, I got an i4 loaner. Not gonna lie, it was fun for few days, then I could not wait to get my 50e back for the comfort, tech, and space.

One of my pet peeves in my 50e is that I inadvertently mute the radio many times when I use the cup holder. Somehow, I push that knob when depositing or retrieving my drink. Argh!

Last edited by David3; 08-18-2023 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 04:34 PM   #3
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 50e

Great write up! I need to bring my new 50e in next week for the screen coming on while charging and they told me I would be getting a loaner for a few days while they figure out the issue. I hope it's something I enjoy.

I also struggle with the volume controls. The gesture controls I use about half the time but it seems to go a bit too far in making it louder or quieter while the knob seems to have the opposite result for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:11 PM   #4
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astute_alpaca View Post
Great write up! I need to bring my new 50e in next week for the screen coming on while charging and they told me I would be getting a loaner for a few days while they figure out the issue. I hope it's something I enjoy.

I also struggle with the volume controls. The gesture controls I use about half the time but it seems to go a bit too far in making it louder or quieter while the knob seems to have the opposite result for me.
Yes they really seemed to botch the simplest of functions with the volume control. I mean, I’m glad they retained the knob — but then they somehow messed it up! Maybe the sensitivity (or lack thereof) can be fixed via software tweaks?

Agree that the gesture option ends up getting too loud too fast. When it notices the gesture, that is.

At least the steering wheel controls respond linearly as pointed out above. But buttons are less efficient than a good ole properly calibrated knob when you want to dial volume up or down quickly.

Just a reminder that the traditional OEMs are not always the best on the human interface side.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020-2024 X5 50e 2024-

what kind of seats do you have in your 50e and what kind of seats we're in the 7series ?

sensafin/ merino ?

standard sport seats/ comfort seats / Msport seats ?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

The OPs driving experience would have been different if he was given the 760i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluca View Post
what kind of seats do you have in your 50e and what kind of seats we're in the 7series ?

sensafin/ merino ?

standard sport seats/ comfort seats / Msport seats ?
50e has:

Sensafin
M Sport package
Climate Comfort package (so ventilated seats)
Multi-contour seats
Massaging seats

Basically I got all the functions. Not the leather.

7 series had the standard seats:

Veganza (is that leather? Thought it was but maybe just another fake leather brand name?)
NO massage
Think they were ventilated
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #8
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak2024 View Post
50e has:

Sensafin
M Sport package
Climate Comfort package (so ventilated seats)
Multi-contour seats
Massaging seats

Basically I got all the functions. Not the leather.

7 series had the standard seats:

Veganza (is that leather? Thought it was but maybe just another fake leather brand name?)

NO massage
Think they were ventilated
just looked it up,

Veganza is indeed fake leather aswell. so you noticed a comfort difference between both fake leathers... interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 01:37 PM   #9
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluca View Post
just looked it up,

Veganza is indeed fake leather aswell. so you noticed a comfort difference between both fake leathers... interesting.
"fake leather" is not really an accurate description of Sensafin which is currently proving to be a a quality surface material for seating and other areas.
Nowhere do I see it described, endorsed, or passed off, as any type of leather like Dakota or Vernasca.
I distinctly remember the early days of Alcantara, a synthetic material with an appearance similar to "Suede" which is made from animal hide and Ferrari being one of the first auto manufacturers to use it.
Alcantara and a number of other synthetics are now used exclusively in automotive applications as well as widespread use in the shoe and garment industries. These synthetics are wildly superior to "Suede" from animal skin.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #10
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
"fake leather" is not really an accurate description of Sensafin which appears to be a a quality surface material for seating and other areas.
Nowhere do I see it described, endorsed, or passed off, as any type of leather like Dakota or Vernasca.
I distinctly remember the early days of Alcantara, a synthetic material with an appearance similar to "Suede" which is made from animal hide and Ferrari being one of the first auto manufacturers to use it.
Alcantara and a number of other synthetics are now used exclusively in automotive applications as well as widespread use in the shoe and garment industries. These synthetics are wildly superior to "Suede" from animal skin.
I´m from Belgium and the BMW site calls sensafin "kunstleder" which litteraly translates to "imitation leather". I guess different country, different way of marketing
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #11
cobramite
Banned
Rep

I ordered my X6 with Merino and am pleased with it so far.
Guys who go with the standard material have opted for Sensafin and not "fake leather". Nowhere do I see this material accurately described as "fake" anything.
Does anyone refer to Margarine as "fake butter"?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I guess I inadvertently triggered a debate about terminology! Wasn’t meant as judgment one way or another. I was happy to choose a synthetic material — albeit a material that is leather-like in feel (vs. something that is decidedly not leather-like, such as cloth).

Anyway, that diversion aside, I really like my Sensafin material, even though I found the other vehicle’s seats decidedly more comfortable overall (returning back to my original point).
Appreciate 1
hiluca69.50
      08-23-2023, 07:05 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The real deciding factor will be how each material looks and feels after time.

The leather in mine is no longer an option (Vanessca sp?) but is relatively stiff. On a long ride, though, a properly shaped, stiffer seat tends to be more comfortable than a softer one. Yes, upon first sit, a soft one may be good, but give it 6-8 hours, and you may feel differently. I've put some fairly long hours in the 'saddle' and arrived without stiffness or pain, so that's saying something.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 07:13 PM   #14
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The real deciding factor will be how each material looks and feels after time.

The leather in mine is no longer an option (Vanessca sp?) but is relatively stiff. On a long ride, though, a properly shaped, stiffer seat tends to be more comfortable than a softer one. Yes, upon first sit, a soft one may be good, but give it 6-8 hours, and you may feel differently. I've put some fairly long hours in the 'saddle' and arrived without stiffness or pain, so that's saying something.
All good points. And of course, I didn’t get a ton of “butt time” in the 740i. I definitely didn’t do a long road trip. And who knows how both would hold up over a matter of years and many miles. To your point, something softer may also break down sooner. Although I would hope that BMW would know how to make a durable seat in a 100k+ car…
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 07:14 PM   #15
cobramite
Banned
Rep

I had the Vernasca also in my prior X5 and was very happy with it. Looked great, easy to car for with a wet microfiber cloth. Both seem to fine materials as does the Sensafin from what I read but time will tell.
Appreciate 0