BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #1
buddenfan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: IXizzle

Whats my best course of action?

X6m comp. I was driving at normal speed on the highway when suddenly I got warning that engine overheated to pullover and contact roadside assistance. Rhen when i turned off the car I had battery supply sign.

I am about 45 minutes away from home where theres a body shop near me.

Should I go to a gas station and buy antifreeze? Im made it to my friends house and parked the car in his driveway. Ill let it cool off for an hour and see what happens but now scared to drive home in an hour for fear of it happening again half way home

Now the temperature dropped but the battery warning is still there
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

If the temp is like in picture this is not overheat...if it has gone more then yes.

Check if you have enough coolant be careful let the pressure first go out then open...if its low then add and drive home without pushing hard.

If coolant is not in minimum then better call road assistance...at least driving overheating is bad for engine and can make more problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:44 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

let the car cool off then check both the coolant tanks. Large one by the front driver side and the smaller one back by the firewall. also check if the belts are still intact. Wonder if the belt that runs the alternator and water pump snapped causing the issues.

Whatever you do don't drive the car if oil temps are going beyond the middle or its bye bye engine.
      09-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I would not drive it. Once the overheat light comes on it is possible you are already doing damage. Call BMW Service and have them come pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 05:35 PM   #5
buddenfan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: IXizzle

Bmw tried clipping me on almost $10k smh. Only approved 2 of the service work and declined the rest as itll be half the price at any bodyshop
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:32 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

How many miles on the car? Not covered under warranty?

My car had the belt/pulley fail at 22K miles but i caught it just right before it completely seized. it was making a ton of squealing noises prior to it happening. Dealer covered everything, belt, pulley and waterpump.
      09-05-2023, 11:34 AM   #7
Cobra_X5MC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2022 X5M Comp

jeez man. that's insane. Because of your post I ended up topping off my coolant levels in both resovoirs this weekend lol.
Marina Bay Blue/Silverstone, Full Car PPF & Ceramic Coating, Exoshield WPF, Forged Vossen EVO 5 in Bronzino, Full RW Carbon Fiber Kit, Carbon Seat Backs, M Performance Carbon Tips, Redstar Primary & Secondary Catless Downpipes, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Stage 1 Tune
Appreciate 0