BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
awin2023
Rep
Drives: 2024 x5 50e

Michelin Primacy winter use?

so I got my 50e a week ago and as stated the vibration dampers make a huge improvement. On to step 2 to reduce tire noise, tires.

I am in Toronto and really don't want three sets of tires, original run flats summer tires(that x5 came with), new summer/all season, and winter tires. After reading the various reviews and opinions, I would like to go with the Michelin Primacy Tour AS (non runflats) all year round and store the original RF Conti's for later use. Does anyone have any snow experience with these? I had a Range Rover with Pirelli Scorpion Verde's which is a comp to the Michelin's, they were ok for Toronto's winter weather. In reviews, michelin's seem to be quieter than the pirelli's. Who knows?!
Appreciate 2
rexus300155.00
      10-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #2
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

If you want a single tire for year round use, an all season tire with the 3MPSF (three mountain peak snowflake) rating will serve you better than an ordinary all season M+S rated tire. I have Michelin CrossClimate 2's on my X7 and Yokohama Geolander G015's on my G550. Both are 3MPSF and I run them all year in Colorado. You can find 3MPSF rated tires in nearly any brand, although pickings in 19", 21" and 22" tend to be slim. I have 20" wheels on both my vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I have used the primacy tour AS before on my 2015 X5 during the winter a few times before I swapped to my winter set with blizzaks and they they did pretty good! Smooth at all speed, comfortable and quiet. Lasted 50k miles before replacing. Not going to say they are great like Blizzaks in snow but better than most all season SUV tires I had before.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

To me its a no brainer. You use winter tires for the winter. Its not just about snow grip. Even when roads are dry, all season tires tend to lose much of their grip when temperatures fall below 45 degrees Fahrenheit [7 degrees Celsius], which hardens their rubber compounds and lowers their responsiveness to the road.

All seasons are just not safe when the temperature is stays below 7 degrees for extended periods. Stopping distances are way shorter with winter tires. That is why the Ontario government requires insurers to provide a 5% discount on car insurance if you install winter tires.

Do everyone a favor and get winter tires, or at least all weather tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
To me its a no brainer. You use winter tires for the winter. Its not just about snow grip. Even when roads are dry, all season tires tend to lose much of their grip when temperatures fall below 45 degrees Fahrenheit [7 degrees Celsius], which hardens their rubber compounds and lowers their responsiveness to the road.

All seasons are just not safe when the temperature is stays below 7 degrees for extended periods. Stopping distances are way shorter with winter tires. That is why the Ontario government requires insurers to provide a 5% discount on car insurance if you install winter tires.

Do everyone a favor and get winter tires, or at least all weather tires.
7C is bad for all season?? Are you sure? Have you experienced? If this is the case, entire California need switch to winter tires, and obviously no one drive with winter tires here except limited population on sierra. You guys needs to be more practical instead of just reading that fear mongs marketing material.
      10-26-2023, 02:59 PM   #6
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

The only vehicle that I flip wheel/tire sets on is my '95 Jeep Wrangler. I run Michelin Defender LTX2's during the summer (60F to 90F) and Bridgestone Blizzaks during the winter (10F to 40F). The Michelin Defender is all season M+S rated, and the Blizzak is winter rated. With the Blizzaks mounted, I can push a 700 lb. snow plow with another ton of snow against the blade, driving on snow pack. The Defender tires would just spin, although they are OK without the snowplow while still 50%+ tread. Winter tires perform by the rubber composition staying pliable at low temps, tread design for traction and snow shedding, and siping.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #7
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
7C is bad for all season?? Are you sure? Have you experienced? If this is the case, entire California need switch to winter tires, and obviously no one drive with winter tires here except limited population on sierra. You guys needs to be more practical instead of just reading that fear mongs marketing material.
Don't get hung up about the 7 degrees. Yes, I noted the industry figure of 7 degrees but it is about winter in Canada. The OP was from Canada not California.

Have you experienced winter driving in Canada in January? Trust me most people here know they should be driving on winter tires - even if they don't. Some people try to save money and kid themselves that all seasons are okay for winter driving in Canada. They aren't.

Over the years I have seen many, many people slide through intersections and have accidents because they cant stop on their all seasons in cold and icy conditions. In the same conditions they could easily stop on winter tires. Regretfully, I experienced it myself when I was much younger. Just saying that our roads would be much safer if people drove with the right tires for the conditions. Its a simple fact.
Appreciate 1
rexus300155.00
      10-26-2023, 03:29 PM   #8
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Don't get hung up about the 7 degrees. Yes, I noted the industry figure of 7 degrees but it is about winter in Canada. The OP was from Canada not California.

Have you experienced winter driving in Canada in January? Trust me most people here know they should be driving on winter tires - even if they don't. Some people try to save money and kid themselves that all seasons are okay for winter driving in Canada. They aren't.

Over the years I have seen many, many people slide through intersections and have accidents because they cant stop on their all seasons in cold and icy conditions. In the same conditions they could easily stop on winter tires. Regretfully, I experienced it myself when I was much younger. Just saying that our roads would be much safer if people drove with the right tires for the conditions. Its a simple fact.
I have no disagreement with winter tire in Canada when conditions call for it. I have issue with 7C limitations with all season. In fact I even will say 7C is ok for summer tires for occasional use.

I have no experience driving in Canada, but I have a lot of experience driving at 7C and below. This happens every winter morning and evening in nor cal. In fact, last night low was 45F/7C. I been using summer tires for the past for 20 years in nor cal. And twice, I drove bmw out of Munich factory delivery center in January, where temperatures was around 0C. As long as weather was snowing, even bmw will let buyer drive out of their factory with summer tires at those temperatures.
      10-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #9
KLCC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: x40i BMW individual

I would just stick with all weather 3PM+S. They offer the design to handle the snow, and has the slightly harder compound to handle the summer heat. Probably a good choice for "centre of the universe"

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone-weatherpeak
https://www.michelin.ca/en/auto/tire...-crossclimate2
Appreciate 1