11-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #45
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan911 View Post
My 2022 X5 got wireless charger. However, when I put my S22 ultra for charging, I get the notification that it's charging, but it's just keep the same battery percentage (extremally slow). For example, If I put the mobile at 70% battery for one hour of charging it becomes same 70% or 71% !! and the device gets hot for nothing.

Anyone got the same behavior?

Thanks
Yeah, the IT people at BMW are probably the worst in the industry. The wireless charger doesn't charge and yes it makes your phone hot. I actually think it spends more battery somehow.. another wasted feature.
Appreciate 1
hotvee141.00
      11-06-2023, 11:51 AM   #46
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Wirelessly charging units in any car are useless. They’re very low amperage and would take 1000 miles driving to get any charge. Don’t waste your time on buying them or adding them to the ticket stick with a cord.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:37 PM   #47
Travel_tk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I'm having the worse luck with my Samsung Ultra. It can't stay charged longer than one minute without disconnection, extremely annoying. I tried removing the case and no luck. For $500 (no choice with the x5), one would expect it to actually work.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:34 PM   #48
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
FWIW, I got a Apple wireless charger and installed it in the cubby to charge my iPhone 12 that would get very hot on the BMW charger when using Apple CP. The Apple charger is no different - same hot results if using CP with hardly any increase in charge Not sure if its BMW to blame or the phones. Wired charging is the best for now.
Yeah, I don't think that people give this theory enough attention. Wireless charging by itself results in a decent amount of heat, much less if you're using wireless CarPlay, streaming music, and using it for nav. There's basically no scenario that isn't going to result in a lot of heat, so I'm just happy if it's able to keep my device at the same battery level as when I started.
a week after taking ownership and trialing the built-in wireless charger, I mounted a MagSafe charger from Amazon. I always connect via CarPlay and stream music (local, Amazon, Pandora) while running either Apple or Google Maps. I’ve got about 7 other apps open at all times in the background. I’ve had both iPhone 12 Pro and 14 Pro. they’ve never overheated and always charge quickly at 15W in almost three years with this setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 07:39 PM   #49
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Being mounted with an air duct behind it is a big help at dissipating the heat from charging. Now, would it be nice if the cubby had a cooling fan? Yes, but it doesn't.

Asking your phone to run data intensive applications and maintain a link like CarPlay is asking a lot and the phone will get at least warm even if it wasn't trying to charge at the same time.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10796.50
      11-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #50
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Being mounted with an air duct behind it is a big help at dissipating the heat from charging. Now, would it be nice if the cubby had a cooling fan? Yes, but it doesn't.

Asking your phone to run data intensive applications and maintain a link like CarPlay is asking a lot and the phone will get at least warm even if it wasn't trying to charge at the same time.
i've contemplated removing this setup because it blocks a lot of airflow from this vent to my face, and the mount blocks any air from hitting the phone, so that's a negative regarding your claim of heat dissipation. additionally, it's never overheated even when there's heat coming out of the vents

i never said my phone doesn't get warm. it will, but rarely, and it's never overheated and stopped functioning. plus, i was detailing a completely opposite experience with a MagSafe-compatible charger from starlights experience

Last edited by nZtiZia; 11-06-2023 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:24 PM   #51
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i've contemplated removing this setup because it blocks a lot of airflow from this vent to my face, and the mount blocks any air from hitting the phone, so that's a negative regarding your claim of heat dissipation. additionally, it's never overheated even when there's heat coming out of the vents

i never said my phone doesn't get warm. it will, but it's never overheated and stopped functioning. plus, i was differentiating my experience with a MagSafe-compatible charger from @starlight experience
I have the exactly same setup. But I put the mount on the passenger side, actual just off center instead. Both driver and passenger still gets air from center vent. Where I have it, no air from the vent will blow onto the back of the phone. let me share a picture in a few hours after getting kids to bed.

And iphone 13 pro here, no phone warming up even I have car play waze, google music running at the same time. Phone is charge properly too.

Picture attached. At this location both driver and passenger can see temperature screen. Driver has access up to the AUTO button. But cannot see beyond. I never touch the auto button and what is right of it anyway. Passenger get access his/heat heated seat button and can still get to fan and temp button if he/she needs to. More often wife just told me to adjust for her, which is a rare case anyway. This location and with phone facing towers driver, it is actually not blocking air flow toward passenger at all. About 1yr and 5 months ownership, so far no complaints.
Attached Images

nZtiZia4767.50
      11-06-2023, 10:45 PM   #52
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The warm air when heating, is still moving, and will move heat off of the phone. Obviously, not as well as when the air is cooler, but still, it will move some heat away.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 03:28 PM   #53
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The warm air when heating, is still moving, and will move heat off of the phone. Obviously, not as well as when the air is cooler, but still, it will move some heat away.
my phone never overheats in my mount when the HVAC is OFF (no air coming out of the vents). explain that one…
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #54
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
my phone never overheats in my mount when the HVAC is OFF (no air coming out of the vents). explain that one…
It's still somewhat out in the air, rather than inside of a cubby with little air circulation around it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:15 AM   #55
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

noticed in sport mode the iPhone charges faster via the wireless charger...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:55 AM   #56
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
noticed in sport mode the iPhone charges faster via the wireless charger...
😂 lol 😂
Sport mode is like duct tape, fixes everything.