BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
HeathJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 x5 50e

2024 X5_50e 2 full months review & question

Hello Bmw fam,

We got this gorgeous one around early Nov. we added everything even Alcantara headliner….we got carried away…but totally happy with this vehicle.

There are several problems that we’ve been having so far.

Just several issues in general.

1.Driving assistance (self driving function) stops randomly even tho camera and sensors are clean. And the car says “driving assistant is permanently deactivated…something something”. So we needed to stop the car at some point, and re-start. It happened 2-3times so far on our road trip.

2.40mi of electric mileage is not actually 40miles. I always use Electric mode for my commute which is only 6-7mi. But always ended up using more than that. (Like when I park the car in the morning, it was 23mi left, but after work when i start the car it was 20miles left…something like that happened many times. Didn’t have any problem with Tesla).I know driving habit / driving condition can affect the mileage for sure, but still it feels like somethings wrong. Any thoughts on that?

3.BMW App & digital key It’s pretty nice to have that, but it gets weird sometimes. Sometimes digital key is not working even tho I’m in front of the car, and needed to open Bmw app, and click unlock button and wait. Unlock the car through bmw app takes so long. It literally takes more than 30 secs…I mean it sounds like nothing but it’s annoying tbh.

Anybody having same issues?!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #2
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathJ View Post
Hello Bmw fam,

We got this gorgeous one around early Nov. we added everything even Alcantara headliner….we got carried away…but totally happy with this vehicle.

There are several problems that we’ve been having so far.

Just several issues in general.

1.Driving assistance (self driving function) stops randomly even tho camera and sensors are clean. And the car says “driving assistant is permanently deactivated…something something”. So we needed to stop the car at some point, and re-start. It happened 2-3times so far on our road trip.

2.40mi of electric mileage is not actually 40miles. I always use Electric mode for my commute which is only 6-7mi. But always ended up using more than that. (Like when I park the car in the morning, it was 23mi left, but after work when i start the car it was 20miles left…something like that happened many times. Didn’t have any problem with Tesla).I know driving habit / driving condition can affect the mileage for sure, but still it feels like somethings wrong. Any thoughts on that?

3.BMW App & digital key It’s pretty nice to have that, but it gets weird sometimes. Sometimes digital key is not working even tho I’m in front of the car, and needed to open Bmw app, and click unlock button and wait. Unlock the car through bmw app takes so long. It literally takes more than 30 secs…I mean it sounds like nothing but it’s annoying tbh.

Anybody having same issues?!
I have M60i so can’t comment on E miles but for…

1. After 7k miles this has happened only a couple of times. I chalked it up to technology being technology. If it persists I’d take it to the dealer. Assist plus is a game changer on the freeways.
3. I always leave the key at home and use my iPhone without issue. If we are on a road-trip and my wife has a key in her purse, sometimes the car will recognize her key before my phone resulting in some presets being funky. A visit to the genius at the dealership might help.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #3
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

I thought with digital key you are supposed to hold your phone up to the reader in the door handle?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #4
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I thought with digital key you are supposed to hold your phone up to the reader in the door handle?
Nope. With the LCI it works from normal distance. I can just walk right up and unlock the door with my iPhone in my pocket or Apple Watch on my wrist.
If you have an older watch though (like Series 5), you do have to hold it right near the handle.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #5
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

1 and 3 may be software issues. I recommend visiting the dealer to see if they’ll update.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:11 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you precondition the X5 while not plugged in, that could easily account for the range decreasing.

When using the app, it's talking to the BMW server, which then talks to the vehicle, then once that link is established, it sends a request to unlock the doors. Depending on the traffic and cellular signal strength, it can take a few shots to get the messages back and forth. BMW's servers aren't know for their great response times.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:21 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I've seen the permanently disabled error twice before. Both times it happened the system was acting weird and I had to manually intervene and then it said it was permanently disabled even though it works fine once the car is shut off. It has not happened since the software was updated.

For the miles, what is your miles per KW? For 40 miles (with 20KW usable according to BMW car data) that would require 2 mi/kw.

For the digital key, what are you using?
Appreciate 0