01-23-2024, 09:39 AM   #23
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I know you were, I was just clarifying what the OP was saying.

My guess is that the sensors they use can't tell the difference as to whether the fob is on the vehicle or outside of it so it allows locking at all times.
Don't you find that unacceptable in today's tech world? It's a major inconvenience for someone when that happens to them and they don't readily have another way to get in.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Don't you find that unacceptable in today's tech world? It's a major inconvenience for someone when that happens to them and they don't readily have another way to get in.
Yes I do. I think when the fob is present in the vehicle then the lock when walking away should be disabled. The vehicle should be allowed to be locked but it needs to be done by fob, remote or touching of the phone/watch/card to the door handle.
      01-23-2024, 09:49 AM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I do. I think when the fob is present in the vehicle then the lock when walking away should be disabled. The vehicle should be allowed to be locked but it needs to be done by fob, remote or touching of the phone/watch/card to the door handle.
I agree and there are cars that do not allow you to lock your keys in them.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:00 AM   #26
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I know you were, I was just clarifying what the OP was saying.

My guess is that the sensors they use can't tell the difference as to whether the fob is on the vehicle or outside of it so it allows locking at all times.
…or programming is getting complicated to be able to differentiate between all these alternative keys now (phone key, app key, keycard…)
Appreciate 1
dwwStL170.50
      01-23-2024, 10:04 AM   #27
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I agree and there are cars that do not allow you to lock your keys in them.
in the early electronic key fob days, that was the case. these newer “convenience” features seem to be causing some gray areas when it comes to lock/unlock programming. adding to what Turtle mentioned, safety/security should be paramount where if one feature is used, another should be disabled (at least until there’s better programming)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:10 AM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
in the early electronic key fob days, that was the case. these newer “convenience” features seem to be causing some gray areas when it comes to lock/unlock programming. adding to what Turtle mentioned, safety/security should be paramount where if one feature is used, another should be disabled (at least until there’s better programming)
The car knows when the key fob has approached it, the car knows the battery level in the fob, the car knows which fob is there, the car knows which button you press from afar, the car knows all. Maybe since there are so many ways to lock/unlock, the designers simply said, hey let's save some code, if they lock their keys in, they will just use the phone app. Well, some of what I said was just a stab at what I think is a dumb design. I believe there is a reason they did what they did but I can't come up with it in today's world.
Attached Images

Last edited by Marty in NY; 01-23-2024 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Fixed HTML error
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4777.50
      01-23-2024, 10:19 AM   #29
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
that was understood, but the point was to refute BMPHIL’s claim the vehicle can’t be locked with a key fob inside which was demonstrated above for both pre-LCI and LCI
Have corrected my post above.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:00 PM   #30
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
He is referring to the ability to use the Apple Watch for locking as you walk away. That would only be on LCI vehicles with DigitalKey+.
This, I meant that walking away with your watch and locking the car isn’t available option on Pre-LCI. Yes you can lock the key fob on Pre-LCI. Done plenty of them when my wife leaves her purse in the car and I use my key. What is strange tho, I am not able to lock the car with my phone or watch if there is key fob inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:43 AM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
This, I meant that walking away with your watch and locking the car isn’t available option on Pre-LCI. Yes you can lock the key fob on Pre-LCI. Done plenty of them when my wife leaves her purse in the car and I use my key. What is strange tho, I am not able to lock the car with my phone or watch if there is key fob inside.
.. .. but, if you leave your fob inside, get out of the car and close all the doors without locking them, open the rear hatch and the press the lock button on the hatch and see if it closes and locks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:59 PM   #32
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
.. .. but, if you leave your fob inside, get out of the car and close all the doors without locking them, open the rear hatch and the press the lock button on the hatch and see if it closes and locks.
Going to try that tomorrow. wonder if the car consider digital key and let you do it?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:50 PM   #33
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Going to try that tomorrow. wonder if the car consider digital key and let you do it?
Don't have a digital key card or your phone or an activated watch near the car when you do it. Make the car think that your one and only key is in the car. Just be sure you can open the car via one of the other means first
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 04:44 PM   #34
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
On pre lci if key is in car rear hatch will not close when lock button on it is pressed, if all doors and hatch are closed and a key is inside of car if you have another key on you car locks when you walk away - strange!.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:41 PM   #35
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
On pre lci if key is in car rear hatch will not close when lock button on it is pressed, if all doors and hatch are closed and a key is inside of car if you have another key on you car locks when you walk away - strange!.
I've seen a post on when someone left the key in the rear hatch, was unknowingly in a gym bag, closed the hatch to lock thinking the key was on them, and were locked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:02 PM   #36
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
I (unintentionally) tested this today - left the fob inside my car and tried to lock it from the Hatch "lock" button - the hatch did not budge. (it was accidental and I hadn't realized that I had left the fob inside - parked in my garage). Relieved that I won't accidentally lock the fob inside. I am still on 2021 software update.

For emergencies I do have the credit card key in my wallet.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 08:39 AM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I (unintentionally) tested this today - left the fob inside my car and tried to lock it from the Hatch "lock" button - the hatch did not budge. (it was accidental and I hadn't realized that I had left the fob inside - parked in my garage). Relieved that I won't accidentally lock the fob inside. I am still on 2021 software update.

For emergencies I do have the credit card key in my wallet.
Well, I hear what you're saying but if it were me, I'd intentionally do a few retests, placing the key in diff places in the car like the rear cargo area, etc. Then I would simply push the rear hatch close button and see what happens and then I would try it again by pressing the rear hatch lock button and see what happens. Then I'd use the key fob to lock it and see what happens. A one-off experience when dealing with software may not give me the confidence I'd like

Thanks for letting us know what you did and the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:50 AM   #38
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Well, I hear what you're saying but if it were me, I'd intentionally do a few retests, placing the key in diff places in the car like the rear cargo area, etc. Then I would simply push the rear hatch close button and see what happens and then I would try it again by pressing the rear hatch lock button and see what happens. Then I'd use the key fob to lock it and see what happens. A one-off experience when dealing with software may not give me the confidence I'd like

Thanks for letting us know what you did and the results.
Good Idea - I think I will try that, this time intentionally as you suggested
Thanks for your suggestion!
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 04:18 PM   #39
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Yeah that’s crazy, even my ‘03 Infiniti wouldn’t let you lock the proximity key in the vehicle inadvertently. How have we gone backwards on this issue?