BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2024, 09:28 AM   #23
clemsondds
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdonuts View Post
I had a 21 cayenne turbo that I sold for 24 X5M. I think the tech is nice in the bmw, but the Porsche is a better vehicle overall. The BMW is very darty and lots more road noise vs the cayenne. As mentioned the Cayenne is much more money and it will depreciate terribly just like the BMW will but I still believe it’s a better vehicle.
thanks! Will you be going back to porsche? Which would you say is more fun to drive around town? much difference between them?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 11:44 PM   #24
azm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 96 SC M3, 20 X5MC

I recently got rid of my 991 GT3, it was silly and I miss it dearly. I've also had a couple of Turbo S's, and the X5M is almost as visceral but does not handle as well.

That being said, I can tow my racecar and jet ski's, as well as easily fitting 6 women and myself in the X5. Winner winner chicken dinner!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:53 AM   #25
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I've always thought the X5MC was setup 100% ready to be driven spiritedly. The way the throttle mapping is set, the way the suspension is firm and steering requiring constant input it makes driving it a 'event'.

What makes it great is also what could be viewed as a negative because not everyone whats that from a every day driver. I love this aspect of the X5MC but there are those random days where I want to just get to point A to B without any drama. This car is not for that.

Alan
      05-16-2024, 06:05 PM   #26
rybocf
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I've always thought the X5MC was setup 100% ready to be driven spiritedly. The way the throttle mapping is set, the way the suspension is firm and steering requiring constant input it makes driving it a 'event'.

What makes it great is also what could be viewed as a negative because not everyone whats that from a every day driver. I love this aspect of the X5MC but there are those random days where I want to just get to point A to B without any drama. This car is not for that.

Alan
When you put all the settings in "comfort" mode it drives pretty moderately. It's always firm, but not jarring, the throttle response gets downright slugglish. You know there's a beast in there, but it's generally in the cage in non-sport settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 07:45 PM   #27
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I don't know that I'd call it sluggish, it gets away from being rorty, but it's maybe the least gimped startup configuration I've had in a long time. I mean think about how soft the pedal is in a Porsche if you don't spin the dial.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:31 PM   #28
rybocf
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5M Competition

I just find the throttle lag too much when the transmission isn't holding a gear. It's not awful, but the response is definitely on the slow side for my tastes when in the granniest of transmission settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:44 PM   #29
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have 2 911’s. 997.1 C4S and 991.2 T.
I also had X3MC and currently XM Base.
IMHO, X3MC gives you the closest feeling of driving a 911.
It nimble and quick.

While XM, after almost a year, it is very close to F95 X5MC, just a little longer and heavier.
I wouldn’t compare this platform to 911.

While Cayenne, I have had ‘06 Cayenne after my F15 X5.
Loves the quality, not loving the price tag and the fact that it has less room and storages.

My pick between Cayenne and X5MC would be the X5MC.
You get more for the money, and BMW infotainment is better than VAG.

Side note, if you have a worth keeping 911, I wouldn’t let it go.
Unless if it is a 992. Big gamble on this new VAG heavily involved Porsche 911 generation.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:04 PM   #30
clemsondds
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Just wanted to give an update. I ended up purchasing a 2025 Brooklyn gray X5M! Excited about it I think. A little nervous since I've never driven one lol. Can't be too many out there dropping $140k on a car they have never even driven. There's not too many 2025's out there with the wheels I'm looking for, and they gave me a great trade in offer. Going to miss my 911! I would have preferred to get a Porsche Turbo GT. But to get the options that I was looking for (which the x5m already has) the price was around $180k+. And at that price and knowing the depreciation over the next year or two...I just didn't think the "juice was worth the squeeze." I have no problem paying that for a 911 if that's what I was looking for, but I know the 911 would hold it's value (or minimal depreciation). But with the cayenne...it's just not that big of a jump over the x5m. Again, this is all coming from someone who has never driven the x5m lol. But thanks to all of your thoughts and reviews...allowed me to have a pretty good idea that I made a good decision.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13122.00
      05-16-2024, 09:32 PM   #31
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybocf View Post
When you put all the settings in "comfort" mode it drives pretty moderately. It's always firm, but not jarring, the throttle response gets downright slugglish. You know there's a beast in there, but it's generally in the cage in non-sport settings.
I guess for me I need something in between. I agree that in all comfort setting the car is just too sluggish for me. My ideal "cruise mode" is keep the engine/throttle response in Sport but somehow make the ride quality softer and steering less jittery. I can manage the throttle but i can't control how the suspension/steering behaves over every little crack on the road. I usually prefer driving this thing all dialed to the max sport + all around but for long road trips sometimes it would be nice to have a more relax mode without the throttle response feeling like its anemic.

If Porsche can make an excellent handling and comfortable air suspension there is no reason why BMW can't as well.
      05-16-2024, 09:52 PM   #32
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I guess for me I need something in between. I agree that in all comfort setting the car is just too sluggish for me. My ideal "cruise mode" is keep the engine/throttle response in Sport but somehow make the ride quality softer and steering less jittery. I can manage the throttle but i can't control how the suspension/steering behaves over every little crack on the road. I usually prefer driving this thing all dialed to the max sport + all around but for long road trips sometimes it would be nice to have a more relax mode without the throttle response feeling like its anemic.

If Porsche can make an excellent handling and comfortable air suspension there is no reason why BMW can't as well.
This is exactly why I went with M50i this time around. Had the F15 prior and the seats were too hard and ride was rough as a daily and family hauler.
Appreciate 0