BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Exhaust valve flap controller (dAHLer/CarBahn) compatibility for 24 X5/X6 M60i

Update (7/18/2023): Posted review on the dAHLer flap controller below.

================================================== =

Did anyone install and verify valve flap controller compatibility on new M60i yet?

dAHLer controller
https://www.dahlerusa.com/products/d...41445176082611

CarBahn controller
https://carbahn.com/product/cbmis-40...-valve-module/

I would like to open flap fully to increase the exhaust sound.
Eventually, I will combine this with secondary downpipe + midpipe for fuller sound.

I tried to contact dAHLer but no response so far.
CarBahn sales rep mentioned that they have not officially tested and approved flap controller on M60i.

CG Precision is also available but I am hesistant to go with that due to many reported issues.

Last edited by parky1215; 07-18-2023 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2023, 07:46 PM   #2
Alex2x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP(YMB)|24 X5M60i(BRG)

Interested in this as well as I am really hoping to increase the exhaust sound of our new M60i. Suprised on the pricing for these but would be interested if it makes a substantial difference in sound without requiring any major modifications.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2023, 10:13 AM   #3
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

While I did not find any compatibility information on Dahler US website, I did find following information on Dahler global site.
https://www.daehler-tuning.com/bmw-x6-g06/

It says it is compatible with M60i there, so I assume it's going to work.
I will probably go ahead and place the order and see how it goes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
Alex2x3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nice - once you receive it, please let us know whether it works and if it provides a substantial improvement to the exhaust sound and loudness.

BTW, did you see the thread re: pulling a fuse to accomplish the same thing? See https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029419

Not sure how important it is to be able to open and close the value is for you, but was thinking about trying this to get a sense of the change this would make prior to dropping the 600 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 01:02 PM   #5
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2x3 View Post
Nice - once you receive it, please let us know whether it works and if it provides a substantial improvement to the exhaust sound and loudness.

BTW, did you see the thread re: pulling a fuse to accomplish the same thing? See https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029419

Not sure how important it is to be able to open and close the value is for you, but was thinking about trying this to get a sense of the change this would make prior to dropping the 600 bucks.
Sure thing. I will update the post once I test it out.

I saw couple of fuse pulling post for pre-LCI models, but nothing for LCI. I am not willing to take any risk pulling out wrong fuse and break something else.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 12:06 AM   #6
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I am happy to report that Dahler flap controller works on x6 m60i.
I will post a review once I drive around more with open valve.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 09:19 AM   #7
Alex2x3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
I am happy to report that Dahler flap controller works on x6 m60i.
I will post a review once I drive around more with open valve.
Great to hear! Looking forward to hearing your impression on whether the exhaust sound is improved.

To clarify expectations, do you know whether the valves are always open in the most aggressive drive mode (S + Sport Plus), or should this further open up the exhaust?
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 09:56 AM   #8
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear! Looking forward to hearing your impression on whether the exhaust sound is improved.

To clarify expectations, do you know whether the valves are always open in the most aggressive drive mode (S + Sport Plus), or should this further open up the exhaust?
Valves are not open (or maybe just partially open) even in sport plus mode when you are cruising or accelerating at lower rpm range. It only opens up fully when you accelerate over certain rpm. Valve operation also depends on what gear you are in.

Last edited by parky1215; 07-11-2023 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #9
esport
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Would love to see your feedback soon !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 01:30 PM   #10
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here is quick review on the dAHler exhaust valve controller.

As mentioned in my previous post, valve as well as extra memory functions works well on 2024 LCI X6 M60i.
Since the controller box is heat resistant and water repellent, it can be installed either inside or outside the car.
On X6, I found a suitable place to install right behind rear tire fender well cover (pic below).
Installation was pretty straight forward, but it can get more complicated if you try to install the controller box inside the trunk.

As for the sound, open valve does make cold start sounds so much better.
I can finally hear more of non-resonated V8 exhaust note coming out from the pipe.
Unfortunately, that’s pretty much where sound improvement ends as far as outside volume goes.
As soon as cold start cycle ends, exhaust gets pretty quiet again even with valve fully open.
There is definitely some volume increase when driving around, but it’s very minor (maybe 10% increase in volume).
It is still pretty hard to hear exhaust noise even with windows down.

While outside volume increase is pretty insignificant, there is a bigger impact with the inside cabin noise.
You get to hear and feel more exhaust note inside the car when you press the gas pedal.
It’s nice to hear non-speaker pumped exhaust note and makes driving the car more exciting.
However, this interior noise increase is valid for lower RPM range only (up to around 4k RPM) because the car opens exhaust valve after 4k RPM anyway during the acceleration even without the valve controller.
Unfortunately, with increased exhaust noise inside the cabin, minor exhaust drone noise is also present during 7th and 8th gear between 1.7 to 2k RPM.
Everyone’s perception of what is acceptable drone level is different, so I am not going to explain too much on this. You can get rid of most of this drone noise by either putting exhaust valve back to stock or putting the car’s transmission in S mode so that car stays out of those RPM range most of the time.

Overall, exhaust valve controller does not bring significant improvement to the exhaust sound on new M60i to justify cost of the system ($600).
I am planning to take it off this weekend and put it up for sale.
I think the controller will be more beneficial for those with M3/M4 with louder factory exhaust.

I will eventually look for more aggressive setup (downpipe) if I really want/need to increase the exhaust noise on the X6.
Unfortunately, downpipe on M60i is one piece, so you have to replace everything unlike pre-LCI X6M where you can just replace secondary cat pipe.
Attached Images

Last edited by parky1215; 07-18-2023 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 7
      07-18-2023, 06:29 PM   #11
roamio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

Thanks, very informative.
Appreciate 2
parky1215572.50
BSfmAZ105.00
      08-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #12
MattKaz85
Registered
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:

As mentioned in my previous post, valve as well as extra memory functions works well on 2024 LCI X6 M60i.
Since the controller box is heat resistant and water repellent, it can be installed either inside or outside the car.
On X6, I found a suitable place to install right behind rear tire fender well cover (pic below).
Installation was pretty straight forward, but it can get more complicated if you try to install the controller box inside the trunk.

I can finally hear more of non-resonated V8 exhaust note coming out from the pipe.
Unfortunately, that’s pretty much where sound improvement ends as far as outside volume goes.
As soon as cold start cycle ends, exhaust gets pretty quiet again even with valve fully open.
There is definitely some volume increase when driving around, but it’s very minor (maybe 10% increase in volume).

While outside volume increase is pretty insignificant, there is a bigger impact with the inside cabin noise.
You get to hear and feel more exhaust note inside the car when you press the gas pedal.
It’s nice to hear non-speaker pumped exhaust note and makes driving the car more exciting.
However, this interior noise increase is valid for lower RPM range only (up to around 4k RPM) because the car opens exhaust valve after 4k RPM anyway during the acceleration even without the valve controller.
Unfortunately, with increased exhaust noise inside the cabin, minor exhaust drone noise is also present during 7th and 8th gear between 1.7 to 2k RPM.
Everyone’s perception of what is acceptable drone level is different, so I am not going to explain too much on this. You can get rid of most of this drone noise by either putting exhaust valve back to stock or putting the car’s transmission in S mode so that car stays out of those RPM range most of the time.

Overall, exhaust valve controller does not bring significant improvement to the exhaust sound on new M60i to justify cost of the system ($600).
I am planning to take it off this weekend and put it up for sale.
I think the controller will be more beneficial for those with M3/M4 with louder factory exhaust.

I will eventually look for more aggressive setup (downpipe) if I really want/need to increase the exhaust noise on the X6.
Unfortunately, downpipe on M60i is one piece, so you have to replace everything unlike pre-LCI X6M where you can just replace secondary cat pipe.
Thank you for the detailed review; really appreciated! If you (or anyone) ends up replacing the entire exhaust satisfactorily, let us know
Appreciate 1
parky1215572.50
      08-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #13
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Great review and thanks for being the guinea pig.
Definately will not be buying this box.
Please don't give up for the hunt for V8 sound.
Wish BMW'S exhaust techs knew their trade, as they failed miserably.
Appreciate 1
parky1215572.50
      09-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #14
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:

Unfortunately, with increased exhaust noise [...]
Did you ever end up selling this? Or did you keep it installed? Any update on whether you still feel it is not worthwhile given the price point?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 09:58 AM   #15
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Did you ever end up selling this? Or did you keep it installed? Any update on whether you still feel it is not worthwhile given the price point?
In my opinion this product shines after replacing the stock downpipes with either high flow or complete catless DP's .
I started with resonator delete in my M50i i didn't get much improvement in sound then i installed Dahler flap controller same thing you can't hear the exhaust notes inside the cabin but after i installed catless downpipes + deleted resonator + flap controller after that i can really feel the difference inside the cabin when it comes to exhaust notes.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019328.50
      09-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #16
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I ended up selling it to other forum member with G80 M3.
I think aftermarket downpipe is only way to improve sound on our car.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019328.50
      09-10-2023, 12:36 PM   #17
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah you really need downpipes and then you can install flap controller if you want more sound, i keep the flaps always open with dahler
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #18
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by postbox1918 View Post
In my opinion this product shines after replacing the stock downpipes with either high flow or complete catless DP's .
I started with resonator delete in my M50i i didn't get much improvement in sound then i installed Dahler flap controller same thing you can't hear the exhaust notes inside the cabin but after i installed catless downpipes + deleted resonator + flap controller after that i can really feel the difference inside the cabin when it comes to exhaust notes.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by postbox1918 View Post
Yeah you really need downpipes and then you can install flap controller if you want more sound, i keep the flaps always open with dahler
Thanks for the input guys.

Was hoping just doing the valves would be sufficient for a little added noise. Not sure I’ll want to do downpipes…I’m coming off an M3 Competiton with the Remus Race Catback and the valves 100% open at all times and while I loved the sound, after a year and a half it got a bit tiring. At this point I’m sensitive to doing anything that might put me in a similar position.

I’ll probably just wait to see how it goes once my X5 arrives, then if I desire a little more do the valve controller, and then if I feel it’s still not enough look towards doing down pipes.

Although one comment I got from the wife when I sold the M3 and ordered the X5 was “it’s not going to be loud, is it?”

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
BSfmAZ105.00
matowi372.50
      09-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #19
SoFLo_X5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

So I am trying to find a subtle volume increase without the raspy popping. I am leaning toward resonator delete and adding an H pipe. Would a muffler change be the better option?
      09-13-2023, 08:58 AM   #20
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLo_X5 View Post
So I am trying to find a subtle volume increase without the raspy popping. I am leaning toward resonator delete and adding an H pipe. Would a muffler change be the better option?
Yeah a complete cat back exhaust will be the best option if you are ready to spend that much and you can keep your OEM exhaust . No need to delete resonator or anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:57 PM   #21
Mesh
Rep
Drives: X6 2024

Hi .. i know this thread is old but. I received my x6 2024 40i. And i noticed cold start is different and i believe that’s because flap is opened. So i tried bimmerlink paid and there is no option for flap on/off. Some guys suggested removing fuse 203 which controls flaps.

I wonder if any tried it out. Is it causing any check engine or any lights on !
Appreciate 0