BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2024, 11:51 AM   #1
ankit762
Registered
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 sDrive 4.0

Battery Charging Question

I recently got a trickle charger for when I'm not driving the car for extended periods of time.

I wanted to know what mode would I put my trickle charger on? I have NOCO genius 10. It has 12v, 12v AGM and 12v lithium.

I saw that the front battery in the engine bay is the LG lithium and the rear battery in the trunk is AGM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit762 View Post
I recently got a trickle charger for when I'm not driving the car for extended periods of time.

I wanted to know what mode would I put my trickle charger on? I have NOCO genius 10. It has 12v, 12v AGM and 12v lithium.

I saw that the front battery in the engine bay is the LG lithium and the rear battery in the trunk is AGM.
You should use the AGM mode and connect it only to the charging terminals in the engine compartment with the hood open. You posted two battery pix, the 12v AGM is under the cargo floor, this is the one that will get charged. The other one, the LG, is in the engine compartment and is the Li-ion. That will get charged automatically via the cars battery management system when the engine hood is down and under normal operation. Keep the engine hood open during charging, once done, disconnect the battery charger, close the hood and off you go.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL170.50
      05-10-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
ankit762
Registered
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 sDrive 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
You should use the AGM mode and connect it only to the charging terminals in the engine compartment with the hood open. You posted two battery pix, the 12v AGM is under the cargo floor, this is the one that will get charged. The other one, the LG, is in the engine compartment and is the Li-ion. That will get charged automatically via the cars battery management system when the engine hood is down and under normal operation. Keep the engine hood open during charging, once done, disconnect the battery charger, close the hood and off you go.
Thank you sir. I assumed it was the AGM mode from all the threads I read and youtube videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:21 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The lithium battery has a very low self-discharge rate, but if it IS low, it won’t be recharged by a trickle charger/maintainer…it will only be recharged if the incoming charging current exceeds 20A, which a typical trickle charger can’t do. Under normal circumstances, the 48VDC battery won’t have a load on it when the vehicle is off unless the 12vdc battery gets too low.
Appreciate 0