Battery hold.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 08:16 PM   #112
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you Do put in a destination, the logic will try to retain enough battery capacity to do your city driving at the end, or middle of the trip if going through surface streets.

In electric mode, it can go up to about 87mph, but if you try to use more than a certain level of acceleration, or to maintain your speed on the highway, it will turn the ICE on.

If you do NOT enter a destination into the NAV, it has no way to know where you intend to drive, and will balance battery/ICE to try to optimize things for the moment without any thought of what might be ahead. Now, the NAV does include speed limits, slope, traffic circle, etc., information and knows what’s coming up ahead, but can’t look too far ahead without a destination saved.

Earlier years had an ADAPTIVE button, and that would anticipate more stuff, knowing say when you enter an access ramp to get only a highway, and turn the ICE on since it anticipated the need for the power, and a few other things like a hill coming up. But, the latest MY no longer have that button…my guess is that they incorporated that logic into the hybrid mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 01:38 AM   #113
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Mine just runs the battery to 2 miles then stops, did this on the last trip (in the NAV) with 30 miles left. However, I think eco pro hybrid mode behaves differently. Will try on the next road trip to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you Do put in a destination, the logic will try to retain enough battery capacity to do your city driving at the end, or middle of the trip if going through surface streets..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 07:07 AM   #114
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
the behavior I’ve seen is it will initially deplete all usable capacity then charge and maintain a minimum 3-6% charge level thereafter
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 11:22 AM   #115
tlkool1
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

I have a ‘25 X5 50e…

Does the usable capacity ever go to 0? Or does regeneration always keep a minimum charge to maintain performance?

Since the engine is de-tuned I’m wondering if launch/performance suffers.

Last edited by tlkool1; 05-20-2024 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:17 PM   #116
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkool1 View Post
I have a ‘25 X5 50e…

Does the usable capacity ever go to 0? Or does regeneration always keep a minimum charge to maintain performance?

Since the engine is de-tuned I’m wondering if launch/performance suffers.
it will go to 0

in Electric mode, when the cluster shows 0 (- - -), the vehicle will switch to Hybrid mode and begin to charge the battery 3-6% then maintain that level

in Hybrid mode, when the cluster shows 0 (- - -), the vehicle will begin to charge the battery 3-6% then maintain that level

in Sport mode, when the cluster shows 0 (- - -), the vehicle will begin to charge the battery 16-20% then maintain that level

there have been reports of folks towing up a mountainside when usable capacity was depleted and experienced loss of electric motor assistance to the ICE. in rare and “perfect” timing of circumstances such as the above example where the power demands exceed the electric motor’s capacity at that moment would you feel a loss of power, otherwise shouldn’t during normal use/circumstances

another scenario when the electric motor can be offline regardless of charge level is if it’s cold soaked after long exposure to extremely cold temperatures. both scenarios above did elicit a check control notification in iDrive per reports
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:28 PM   #117
tlkool1
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
it will go to 0

in Electric mode, when the cluster shows 0 (- - -), the vehicle will switch to Hybrid mode and begin to charge the battery 3-6% then maintain that level

in Hybrid mode, when the cluster shows 0 (- - -), the vehicle will begin to charge the battery 3-6% then maintain that level

in Sport mode, when the cluster shows 0 (- - -), the vehicle will begin to charge the battery 16-20% then maintain that level

there have been reports of folks towing up a mountainside when usable capacity was depleted and experienced loss of electric motor assistance to the ICE. in rare and “perfect” timing of circumstances such as the above example where the power demands exceed the electric motor’s capacity at that moment would you feel a loss of power, otherwise none during normal use/circumstances

another scenario when the electric motor can be offline regardless of charge level is if it’s cold soaked after long exposure to extremely cold temperatures. both scenarios above did elicit a check control notification in iDrive per reports

Great! I appreciate the explanation.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4777.50
      05-20-2024, 03:50 PM   #118
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There aren’t many emission restrictions zones in the USA, but there are places in Europe and maybe elsewhere that have them. If you put in a destination, and it goes into a city or one of the restriction zones, the computer will try to keep enough battery capacity to do that portion in EV mode, otherwise, it will just try to manage the best it can for the moment about peaking efficiency. So, without a destination, it will try to maintain enough battery to augment acceleration, but it can do that even if the display shows —- except in rare situations.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:30 AM   #119
NicoM2
Rep
Drives: M2 / M240xdrive

Last week, I went on a road trip of approximately 2400 km. There was no opportunity to charge. I learned a lot along the way. The gasoline engine activates at 132 km/h, which is really too high. On the gasoline engine, there is a consumption difference of about 5L/100km between battery hold and not. (Battery hold results in higher consumption.)

If you want to use as little battery and gasoline as possible, set the switch to S (not sport) instead of drive. (You can also use the paddles in this mode to reduce the RPMs even further.) In this mode, the battery charges reasonably well without immediately consuming the recovered energy. In battery hold, it consumes what it has recovered right away.

Wind noise at the window (on both sides) is really enormous. Starting from around 100 km/h. I'm surprised by that for such a car.

After the 2400 km, I still had 10% battery left. The average fuel consumption was 7.9L/100km (driven quite sportily with considerable elevation differences).
Appreciate 0