BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2024, 03:06 PM   #45
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

If I look back on it I can see quite a progression over time in car interiors.

When I was young they were largely metal, with some plastics and vinyls. Then they started putting the foam on the metal with vinyl over that on dashes and that sort of thing. The first soft touch I guess. Along with that you had a lot of vinyl and cloth seats, a little bit of leather here and there.

The metal started to give way to more and more plastics, still some foam on the plastic.

Then it was just plastic with the foam padding having gone out of style.

The plastic eventually turned into soft-touch. You don't have to be too old to remember that, the first soft- touch plastic were coming out around the turn of the millenia. Early soft-touch plastic had the peculiarity of significant off-gassing which left a white chalk like patina on the plastic if you didn't wipe it down now and then. More and more cars were coming with leather seats or had them as an available option

Materials technology advanced and they got past the chalk and into plastics that didn't off-gass to the same extent. On upscale cars leather was becoming more common as a covering for surfaces along with the seats. That was ongoing for quite a while, and it's hard to put a number on it, and say it started at some specific point.

But, that's all past. There was some seriously crappy interiors along the way, but they don't have much to do with what's going on now or this conversation.

When I was talking about quality I was thinking more of the sense of being durable, that the car was well screwed together. This is something that Porsche has done well in recent years.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10796.50
      04-24-2024, 03:36 PM   #46
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
I miss Blaupunkt stereos with the blue dot.
Yeah and especially the retractable cup holders in the dash in my 996 and 997. Creative engineering but hardly high quality.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:37 PM   #47
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Yeah and especially the retractable cup holders in the dash in my 996 and 997. Creative engineering but hardly high quality.
From a 996 owner, they’re basically the same as the retractable cup holder in my E93 M3.
      05-08-2024, 10:05 PM   #48
clemsondds
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Thank you all! Just for fun: As a daily in town, which would you prefer? X5m, x3m, m8gc, m5 or m3? This is assuming you don’t need the extra storage and price is not a concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:29 AM   #49
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
Thank you all! Just for fun: As a daily in town, which would you prefer? This is assuming you don’t need the extra storage and price is not a concern.
911. But out of those probably the m3 since it weighs the least. Definitely not the boat sized SUVs. Only have an X5 because of storage and hauling children.
Appreciate 1
davchr101.50
      05-09-2024, 05:35 AM   #50
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusje View Post
911. But out of those probably the m3 since it weighs the least. Definitely not the boat sized SUVs. Only have an X5 because of storage and hauling children.
911. Or a Viper or Corvette.

Out of what was listed, an E92 M3 or the X3M. Current M3 is hideous. The guy who designed that squirrel face front end should be launched out of a cannon.

I just last night considered the fantasy that I could make a 911 work with my two toddlers. Maybe if they were both front facing, but I suspect I would need special car seats to make it work with any hope of not being kicked in the back the whole time.

Last edited by BlkGS; 05-09-2024 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 06:25 AM   #51
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

I have a 718 Cayman and an X5. They each do what I expect. The 718 is a nice small sports car that my wife uses for her daily driver. The X5 is a nice comfortable cruiser that is comfortable on long trips and hauling stuff. I did not find the Cayenne nearly as comfortable, especially for long trips. To me nothing about ANY SUV says “sports car”.
Tucson, AZ - you don't have to shove sunshine

Last edited by davchr; 05-12-2024 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
tooloud10796.50
      05-09-2024, 08:16 AM   #52
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
I have a 718 Cayman and an X5. They each do what I expect. The 718 is a nice small sports car that my wife uses for her daily driver. The X5 is a nice comfortable cruiser. that is comfortable on long trips and hauling stuff. I did not find the Cayenne nearly as comfortable, especially for long trips. To me nothing about ANY SUV says “sports car”.
Speaking of comfort.....yesterday we made a 12 hour 767 mile trip home from Ohio. Between Assist Plus and the comfort of the X5 seats I was much less fatigued compared to making the same trip in my Cayenne which I did many times.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #53
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

To me, the "a daily in town" qualifier means you're using this car to get stuff done. It's hard to beat SUVs for that. Since the need for storage was removed as an obstacle, it's not such an obvious go-to, but I'd still go that way. They're easier to hop in and out of, better sight lines in traffic, at need you can run over a curb, etc.

This is not to say I would denigrate any of the choices above, I've owned an E92, Corvettes, various Porsche's, etc. Good cars, all. I just wouldn't pick them as the best possible car to use for slogging around in traffic, where you're typically not having any fun anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:55 AM   #54
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
To me, the "a daily in town" qualifier means you're using this car to get stuff done. It's hard to beat SUVs for that. Since the need for storage was removed as an obstacle, it's not such an obvious go-to, but I'd still go that way. They're easier to hop in and out of, better sight lines in traffic, at need you can run over a curb, etc.

This is not to say I would denigrate any of the choices above, I've owned an E92, Corvettes, various Porsche's, etc. Good cars, all. I just wouldn't pick them as the best possible car to use for slogging around in traffic, where you're typically not having any fun anyway.
Yeah it's gonna depend a lot on what kind of "around town" it is. When I lived in a small town in NC, around town was a blast. We had curvy roads that were well paved, plenty of space, and every trip out of the house was fun because the road we lived off was curvy with elevation changes and then led out onto a wide open, mostly empty, large road.

Where I live now there's a lot more traffic, few curves, and zero elevation changes. We at least have nice roads, but it's just not that much fun to drive a sports car here. Too much traffic to do more than a quick blast, and nothing really to enjoy handling except right turns and a few very rare curves. My X5 M50i works well here, but an X3M would too if it had fit my space needs. Incould make a 911 work, but I'd probably need to get my enjoyment out of the sound and visuals.

It seems that a lot of people that are on here live in cities with roads that sound more like a warzone than anything with lots of big potholes, intense traffic, etc. For that sort of place, eh, even an X3M might be no fun with a stiff suspension and chassis. I'd probably get a 392 wrangler there
Appreciate 1
crabman318.50
      05-09-2024, 10:35 AM   #55
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Go wild with the XM!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #56
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
Go wild with the XM!
Think of all the weight you'd lose from vomiting every time you saw your car!
Appreciate 1
matowi372.50
      05-09-2024, 11:41 AM   #57
mhmmX5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i

Let me chime in with some youthful influence… save the money get the X5M Comp.
Full body PPF, add some nice & classy aftermarket wheels + spacers & lowering springs.
Nothing out of this world and nothing that’ll mess with warranty. But you will most definitely have fun and turn more heads than the other option.

Now….. it is absolutely not an issue - then the top trim Cayenne Coupe or Urus has your name written all over it. Repeat the steps above for added fun 😉
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 01:47 PM   #58
clemsondds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmmX5 View Post
Let me chime in with some youthful influence… save the money get the X5M Comp.
Full body PPF, add some nice & classy aftermarket wheels + spacers & lowering springs.
Nothing out of this world and nothing that’ll mess with warranty. But you will most definitely have fun and turn more heads than the other option.

Now….. it is absolutely not an issue - then the top trim Cayenne Coupe or Urus has your name written all over it. Repeat the steps above for added fun 😉
lol could not be further from what I would do lol. I guess I’m just not that cool. I just hate that look. I leave things pretty much stock.
I did put the GT3 sideskirts and clear lights on my 911…ha so maybe I’m getting there.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 02:00 PM   #59
clemsondds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
FWIW, I have a 2022 X5M and Friday borrowed a brand new XM for the day ...

XM
Ignoring the looks, which is super hard to do, the XM is a softer version of the X5M and definitely doesn't feel faster or more sporty. The interior, which is supposed to be nicer, is also palpably cheaper feeling than my X5 and the single screen is absolutely terrible in every way, especially when passengers compete you for it to change climate or whatever. Horrible terrible no good design, but that's not an XM only thing.

2024+ Cayenne
I had the chance to experience an e-hybrid turbo in Zurich this past november.

The interior design and quality put BMW to shame, like for reals. It's not just what you see, but how everything feels to touch and use ... I don't want to call it night & day, but the Cayenne is DEFINITELY a step up. Even my wife who doesn't care about this stuff, speculated that the reason I don't have one is must cost double given how much nicer it was

Drive-wise, the Cayenne is much better handling and the new GTS, while I haven't driven it, has many of the bits of the GT so I'd assume it's the one to get if you don't care about the hybrid part and are willing to sacrifice raw acceleration for $$.

I've considered the GT to replace my X5M, but just can't get there in terms of cost. there's no question it's better than the X5M in every way, but I see it more as a I'm-worth-9-figs vehicle than anything else, meaning at a certain point an SUV that performs that well is the wrong tool for the job; just get a 911 or Ferrari and an Escalade or whatever.

X5M
At least the 2022 I have is an on/off vehicle in that it just doesn't feel like much until you really push it, like really push. And then when you do, its ceiling is so much higher than you possibly imagined you just start giggling uncontrollably. But that's only when you REALLY push it, like, if there's a cop around you're probably getting stopped.

The 2024+ Cayenne on the other hand always has a sport edge, even doing 30 turning into Whole Foods or whatever. It just feels that much more sporting in a not-normal way, i.e., you never forget you're in a 6 figure sport SUV, which can happen with an X5M

OVERALL
I've driven new-purchased BMWs exclusively for 15+ years, and done 4 EDs, with my last 4 BMWs being individual at differing levels. Sad to say, my X5M will be my last BMW as they've totally lost me with styling, but even if I could get over that, the interiors are truly a step down from Porsche, and even Audi as in the RSQ8 which I also drove in the EU last fall and does easily beat anything BMW interior-wise, especially the screens which I found awesome; loved the haptics.
Awesome feedback! Would you miss the sunroof and massaging seats of the x5m if you went with a cayenne turbo GT? Kinda hate they take all of that out…but I guess that’s what it takes to get the weight down and amazing handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 03:31 PM   #60
X5MC4ME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M Comp

Quote:
Awesome feedback! Would you miss the sunroof and massaging seats of the x5m if you went with a cayenne turbo GT? Kinda hate they take all of that out…but I guess that’s what it takes to get the weight down and amazing handling.
FWIW I do not think the Cayenne interior is better than the X5. I’d know I’ve had 3 Cayenne loaners and test drove a turbo recently. Let me give some examples: the Cayennes top leather option isn’t as soft and nice as the X5’s Merino. The Cayenne doesn’t have as much leather on the interior (for example down the doors). The Cayenne steering wheel controls are cheap and creaky. The Infotainment system makes iDrive 7 look amazing. Unless you get the sport bucket seats the Cayenne seats are not as supportive.

Then there are the little things: Air vent plastics feel like they are out of a Jetta on the Cayenne. They still have the really ugly air vent shape too. The toggle switches are sweet though - will say that! The Haptic Touch controls are a disappointment though.

I’ve owned several Porsches over the years and have 2. They have a lot of strengths but in this case I do not think the Cayenne is “higher quality”. It’s a bit of placebo effect. Having over a thousand miles of seat time in one I think the quality is excellent but no better than a high trim X5. Base vs Base the X5 is actually FAR better. The base Porsche interior in black is a true disappointment.

If you look many 911 buyers are dissatisfied with the new 992 interior: lots of creaky cheap plastic and challenging Haptic Touch buttons. Same criticisms should be lobbied at the Cayenne IMO.

X
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #61
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC4ME View Post
FWIW I do not think the Cayenne interior is better than the X5. I’d know I’ve had 3 Cayenne loaners and test drove a turbo recently
Comparing only the 2022 X5M, the 2024 XM, & the 2024 Porsche Cayenne turbo E-hybrid I'd 100% disagree about interior materials, quality, and design: the Porsche is AT LEAST a step up maybe more in design and every material you see or touch. Even my wife noticed & commented immediately: "why didn't you get this? It's way better than the X5" (she's unaware it wasn't available in 2022)

On the electronics, I agree there, BMW is better, however I really only care about buttons since I use AA & only the Porsche has those these days.

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't put the X5M or XM in the same category as the Cayenne Turbo E-hybrid, it's a step up, though YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 05:32 PM   #62
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup, I would. I'm going to get the turbo E-hybrid next year ED unless they come out with something different.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:09 PM   #63
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Anyone cross shop these? Probably prefer the look of the cayenne but the depreciation is a lot more than the x5m. I’ve never driven an x5m…and there’s not one for sale within 150 miles of me. Could you give me an idea of how these compare? Looking for straight line 0-60 speed as well as handling. I will be buying new or cpo’24. Just want something with a v8 that’s fun and a little wild. Any other ideas are welcome as well!
X5 is better value for money. If money is not a concern, a Cayenne since you can customize it a lot more. Porsche in general is a higher end brand and hence commands a higher premium. That is just a fact. The X5M might be faster 0-60 but most people would consider the Cayenne a more refined product overall…it just depends on if you want to pay the premium. To me, I’d compare a new X5 vs a lightly used Cayenne for value.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18207.50
      05-12-2024, 08:00 AM   #64
clemsondds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
X5 is better value for money. If money is not a concern, a Cayenne since you can customize it a lot more. Porsche in general is a higher end brand and hence commands a higher premium. That is just a fact. The X5M might be faster 0-60 but most people would consider the Cayenne a more refined product overall…it just depends on if you want to pay the premium. To me, I’d compare a new X5 vs a lightly used Cayenne for value.
Thank you! I believe the Cayenne turbo GT and the Cayenne turbo are faster than the X5M 0 to 60, but other than those two iterations, you’re probably right. I love the Porsche brand and quality but the X5M is probably the better value For money.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 05:01 PM   #65
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! I believe the Cayenne turbo GT and the Cayenne turbo are faster than the X5M 0 to 60, but other than those two iterations, you’re probably right. I love the Porsche brand and quality but the X5M is probably the better value For money.
If one can stomach the interior

Comparing my 2022 X5M to the 2025 X5M or XM is really eye-opening, with the latter two seeming like a 1/2 step down in both design and materials. Even the tech at the dealer gave me a wink and said $15k more for $25k less
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 09:18 PM   #66
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC4ME View Post
The Cayenne just didn’t do it for me. I love Porsches (own 2) but the styling let me down. Also while the steering is amazing I find the air suspension isolating. Meanwhile the X5M suspension feels quite similar in terms of stiffness and response to my 911 equipped with sport suspension.

Also the X5 had more cargo space and way more equipment for less money. The money truly didn’t sway me…the drive did. That’s compared to Cayenne S and Turbo FWIW. I felt so nauseated looking at the Cayenne coupe I couldn’t even take it for a test drive. The Turbo GT is faster but way more expensive than any X5. You could almost buy an X5M and an M3 comp for that price.

X
I’m truly never felt the 911 style Didn’t do it for me on a cayenne. I always felt it was too jellybean looking.
Appreciate 0