BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #199
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW X5 - 50e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREKER View Post
So I spoke to dealer and was told I am 11th week (Mid March) for production. They resubmitted my build and gave me a new production number. When I track it, it already moved up from start to scheduled for production.

Dealer said about 2 weeks from when production starts, it should be shipped the them, So I assume last week of March / first week of April to take receipt. I hope...
So now it changed back to start on the tracker. lol I guess I am not the only one that this happens to.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #200
wjkalana
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340 and X5 45e

Quote:
So now it changed back to start on the tracker. lol I guess I am not the only one that this happens to.
In my case it went all the way up to quality check and came back to production scheduled. Then they gave me a new VIN number. They have already produced the new VIN and its waiting for a career assignment since last friday. Supposed to hit the dealer last monday but then the weather happens
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #201
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkalana View Post
In my case it went all the way up to quality check and came back to production scheduled. Then they gave me a new VIN number. They have already produced the new VIN and its waiting for a career assignment since last friday. Supposed to hit the dealer last monday but then the weather happens
I dont understand how this tracker really works. I dont have a VIN yet, just production number. VIN doesn't get generated for a little bit of time I guess. I think they just like to keep us guessing.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #202
GrokuE7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited

Garage List
2021 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
I dont understand how this tracker really works. I dont have a VIN yet, just production number. VIN doesn't get generated for a little bit of time I guess. I think they just like to keep us guessing.
Best thing to do is call the BMW genius and talk to someone. I can tell you your VIN will be assigned after you see Productions begins status. At least for me that's when I saw mine. Then about a week and a half my build went from Production begins to QC. However, all the statuses in between happened in like 2 days before the completion date...lol. It was done on time. Now I'm just waiting for it to hit the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #203
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Quote:
Production Number just means that the order has been accepted. It’s basically just a number that you can reference and track the build. You don’t get a VIN until Production Begins, but that’s not the same as actually beginning assembly. It means the the VIN is assigned, parts and supplies necessary for the build are being sourced, and basically getting everything in place to actually start the build. It’s usually 1-2 weeks after Production Begins that the car actually starts getting built (Entering Assembly line). But once it starts, building only takes 1-2 days, so the tracker blows through a bunch of steps pretty quickly (body assembly, paint, final assembly, QC, etc).

As stated above, the best thing to do is to call the Genius line and find out the production week it’s scheduled for.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #204
DentDave
DentDave
United_States
Rep
Drives: X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
Production Number just means that the order has been accepted. It’s basically just a number that you can reference and track the build. You don’t get a VIN until Production Begins, but that’s not the same as actually beginning assembly. It means the the VIN is assigned, parts and supplies necessary for the build are being sourced, and basically getting everything in place to actually start the build. It’s usually 1-2 weeks after Production Begins that the car actually starts getting built (Entering Assembly line). But once it starts, building only takes 1-2 days, so the tracker blows through a bunch of steps pretty quickly (body assembly, paint, final assembly, QC, etc).

As stated above, the best thing to do is to call the Genius line and find out the production week it’s scheduled for.

My 45e went into produciton 2/5 and I got the VIN from the Dealer. Been sitting there waiting for all the parts and pieces being gotten together. So we are day 13. Hope to see it turn soon!

Great idea to call the Genius Phone line. I didn't know that was a resource.

Quick Update:
I called the BMW Genius hotline. 1-844-4GENIUS (443-6487)
Very nice people. My 45e build status has been stuck on "Production Begins" since Feb 5. I was told by the BMW Genius that the car was actually in production and scheduled to be completely finished tomorrow!
Apparently they don't always update the web consistently. They apparently update their systems partly manually. She said call back in 2 days and they should have a completed report.
Sweeeeeet!!!!

Last edited by DentDave; 02-19-2021 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #205
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post

Yes - Thank you. I did contact the genius and they told me to contact the dealer as it was still too early. When I spoke to dealer again, they told me I was scheduled for production the 11th week of the year. A few weeks from now.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #206
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Yes - Thank you. I did contact the genius and they told me to contact the dealer as it was still too early. When I spoke to dealer again, they told me I was scheduled for production the 11th week of the year. A few weeks from now.
Sounds like you are still in the Order Received status. Once you get to the next stage, Scheduled for Production, then you can call and get a week. My M340i moved to that stage yesterday after about a month in Order Received (I'm getting an individual color so that takes a bit longer) and I called today and they were able to give me the production week.
      02-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #207
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Sounds like you are still in the Order Received status. Once you get to the next stage, Scheduled for Production, then you can call and get a week. My M340i moved to that stage yesterday after about a month in Order Received (I'm getting an individual color so that takes a bit longer) and I called today and they were able to give me the production week.
Yes- Yesterday it moved to "scheduled for production". Then today it went back to "start". Don't know why.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:43 PM   #208
NS231
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550, 2024 iX50

Quote:
Yes- Yesterday it moved to "scheduled for production". Then today it went back to "start". Don't know why.
What do you have in your build? I had a similar issue with mine and my build week was pushed from WK9 to WK14. Dealer said they saw another build kicked too, and the common factor between the two was the 2-axle air suspension. I removed it from my build and it was knocked back up to WK9 and moved into Production Begins on Wednesday…
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:36 PM   #209
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

I placed my order for X5 with a dealer that promised a February build slot. However, when I contacted BMW Genius I was told April 6 build date. I spoke to the dealer and I was told the delay was due entirely to BMW, because I ordered Tartufo Merino leather. If the change it to vernasca leather they say my build becomes a February build. Is 4+ week production delay normal for selecting merino leather option? Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #210
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS231 View Post
What do you have in your build? I had a similar issue with mine and my build week was pushed from WK9 to WK14. Dealer said they saw another build kicked too, and the common factor between the two was the 2-axle air suspension. I removed it from my build and it was knocked back up to WK9 and moved into Production Begins on Wednesday…
Interesting. I have the air suspension in my build. I want it so maybe thats it. I was told WK11 for production. Hope that is still the case. Looks like I am going to have to extend lease on my SQ5 a month. I was bummed to see it go backwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #211
DentDave
DentDave
United_States
Rep

Quick Update:
Very nice people. My 45e build status has been stuck on "Production Begins" since Feb 5. I was told by the BMW Genius that the car was actually in production and scheduled to be completely finished tomorrow!
Apparently they don't always update the web consistently. They apparently update their systems partly manually. She said call back in 2 days and they should have a completed report.
Sweeeeeet!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #212
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentDave View Post
Quick Update:
Sweeeeeet!!!!
Production begins just means that the VIN is assigned and parts ordered/allocated. The physical production only takes a few hours. You should see it fly through the steps tomorrow.
      02-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #213
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
I placed my order for X5 with a dealer that promised a February build slot. However, when I contacted BMW Genius I was told April 6 build date. I spoke to the dealer and I was told the delay was due entirely to BMW, because I ordered Tartufo Merino leather. If the change it to vernasca leather they say my build becomes a February build. Is 4+ week production delay normal for selecting merino leather option? Anyone else experience this?
Merino can definitely add time. 4 weeks sounds about right considering crippled supply chains etc
      02-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #214
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Merino can definitely add time. 4 weeks sounds about right considering crippled supply chains etc
It has been over a year now that BMW put a warning on the configurator that Merino can add up to 10 weeks to the build time. We have not really seen delays with it so far but it looks like they may be starting to occur.
Attached Images

02-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #215
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
It has been over a year now that BMW put a warning on the configurator that Merino can add up to 10 weeks to the build time. We have not really seen delays with it so far but it looks like they may be starting to occur.
Wow, had my Merino order within about 3 weeks. Must have just made it in under the wire.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #216
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

I was told that there was some semiconductor shortages that are causing manufacturing delays. Wonder if that is affecting delivery times.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chip-...210019402.html
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #217
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njapilot1 View Post
Yep. Same thing here. Full front, etc, door cups, back bumper and ceramic for $3k. Expensive but worth it.
BTW, I got another quote to at least say I price compared, and it was $5K for full front and ceramic. It is probably one of the most reknown shops around, but it confirmed that my $3K option is indeed reasonable for the Bay Area.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #218
DentDave
DentDave
United_States
Rep

Fast Assembly

Quote:
Production begins just means that the VIN is assigned and parts ordered/allocated. The physical production only takes a few hours. You should see it fly through the steps tomorrow.
Yup, Woke up this morning and all the assembly and quality checks are done and it is assigned to a carrier waiting for transport. Fast.

Watching videos of the Assembly line at Spartanburg plant is impressive. Most of the time of production is just waiting to get all the parts in stock in the right colors, configuration, etc. Once the start it down the assembly line it went fast.
Anyone know how long it takes for an X5 to start the actual assembly line (frame, paint, trim) to when it spits it out the other end all finished?
Seems like just a day?
Do they operate those lines 24 hours a day? Impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #219
DentDave
DentDave
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was told that there was some semiconductor shortages that are causing manufacturing delays. Wonder if that is affecting delivery times.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chip-...210019402.html
Bummer you are stalled on your build.

According to this Forbes article from a few weeks ago BMW maybe is good on chips? (VW/Audi not so much)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin...h=1b8b97874097

"Chip prices for automotive companies will rise in the near term. Volkswagen will be hit the hardest by the shortage, while Toyota looks like being the least scathed. Hyundai/Kia of Korea and BMW have secured good long-term access to chip requirements and will also ride out the storm with ease."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #220
iX52020
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Just got it back from the detailer (after driving straight from the dealer). Couldn't be more excited!! Good luck to you all!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0