BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2024, 07:06 PM   #243
mrjoed45
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i M edition/X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
It seems that with the newest s/w updates (or from the factory with newer builds), to be able to modify any existing coding requires an encoded handshake with the BMW servers, and thus, without that proper handshake, it won’t let you change certain things, among them, ASS. There are a few things that can still be modified, though. It appears things that could affect the overall efficiency are locked out from changes.

Ok. Well thats unfortunate. Guess I will have to get used to hitting the button after every start! And at least it still stays coded in my 650i.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:09 PM   #244
mrjoed45
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i M edition/X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is not correct. iD7 can still be coded. iD8.5, and some versions of iD8, can't be coded due to BMW moving to secure coding.
Just to clarify, The option to disable ASS is still an option in BimmerCode & I select & code it successfully, but it simply does not work any longer.
My other coding options work fine. (ID7)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:25 PM   #245
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed45 View Post
Just to clarify, The option to disable ASS is still an option in BimmerCode & I select & code it successfully, but it simply does not work any longer.
My other coding options work fine. (ID7)
Exactly, as mentioned numerous times in the thread. ASS can't be coded off by Bimmercode or any other coding tool.
      05-03-2024, 07:59 PM   #246
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I had mine downloaded to the car for over a month and all i keep getting is the same message saying that the update will proceed once the car is cooled down for 30mins. I been through the whole charging the battery and clearing codes tricks. Nothing worked and i've long given up. After almost 2 months the update "expired" according to the mybmw app and the car no longer prompts me to install.
      05-03-2024, 08:01 PM   #247
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With BimmerCode, go to their home page to see what functions and series are supported. While some stuff might work, the app developers do not support the LCI at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #248
PicoTTS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Having the same issue for weeks.

When people are saying they are charging the battery, are you charging the one under the hood or the one in the trunk? Both?

Are both of them AGM batteries?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:44 AM   #249
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicoTTS View Post
Having the same issue for weeks.

When people are saying they are charging the battery, are you charging the one under the hood or the one in the trunk? Both?

Are both of them AGM batteries?
Use the starting terminals under the hood. Assuming you don't have an M50i with DHP, then the one in the cargo area is AGM and the other LiOn. Unless you are using a charge with 20amp or greater output the LiOn won't be charged but that is fine since it is the starter battery that causes the issue in some cases.
      05-09-2024, 11:45 AM   #250
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

03/2024.47 appeared in my UK car today, installed straight away much easier than other updates on my car and previous BMW'S. no information regarding update except disclaimer. Also the app on my phone also updated at same time to version 4.5.1
Not driven yet so hopefully no issues when I do.

Last edited by BMPHIL; 05-09-2024 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4754.00
matowi350.00
      05-09-2024, 01:34 PM   #251
shawn91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

I got the 03/2024.47 update installed the other night and so far I haven't noticed any issues. Lets see
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 06:49 PM   #252
RJCmmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 330i G20

I am having the same issue. Software is ready but car doesn't initiate the install.

Question - I don't have wifi on the car.

Am I able to connect the car to my home network? If not, how do I do it?

And if there is no way to connect the car to the home network and I turn off the "only use wifi" to update remote software - what will it use - my cell phone data?

I'm not following how this works - thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 07:04 PM   #253
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCmmr View Post
I am having the same issue. Software is ready but car doesn't initiate the install.

And if there is no way to connect the car to the home network and I turn off the "only use wifi" to update remote software - what will it use - my cell phone data?

No, you can't connect the vehicle to a network. The download goes to your phone and then from there it is transferred to the vehicle which according to your description has already been. You can try using a maintainer to charge the battery but that only works in a small percentage of cases. In the rest the install is not possible if all of the requirements are met and it is not installing.
      05-12-2024, 07:12 PM   #254
RJCmmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
No, you can't connect the vehicle to a network. The download goes to your phone and then from there it is transferred to the vehicle which according to your description has already been. You can try using a maintainer to charge the battery but that only works in a small percentage of cases. In the rest the install is not possible if all of the requirements are met and it is not installing.
Thanks TurlteBoy - yes 100% car has the update.

So the wifi has nothing to do with the software installing - only has to do with the initial transfer of it to the vehicle.

Thanks so much clarifying that - it was driving me crazy.

Well - still is I guess - as it continues to never update.

Plus I have both of my keys inside the car in the garage because I want to make sure the car is reading that the key is in the car. The keys have been an issue from day 1 - at least a few times a week I have to put the key against the steering column, or I get a message that the key is completely drained of battery even though the battery was changed. So I often carry both keys because I'm afraid of it not working at all one day. Even after the dealer said they updated the software the keys have been a constant issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:18 PM   #255
pilot727
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmorton View Post
I went through this and thought I'd share my experience and solution. Remote software update had transferred from my phone to the car and was stuck at this stage for a couple months.

"Installed version: 03/2023.50

Preparations for upgrade version
11/2023.50 completed.

You will be notified when the upgrade can
be installed. Installation only when parked.
See Owner's Manual for more information."

I had met (to my knowledge) all the requirements for the update to install. This was not my first time going through this process and am fairly tech savvy. Even went as far as purchasing a trickle charger and got the battery up to 100%, according to the charger, and software update still stuck. I just gave up and planned to have the service department at my dealership handle it at my next general service appointment. With the help of BMW USA I was able to get these error logs from the car's diagnostics.

Fault code: 0x05110002
Specific fault code: 4
Fault description: Temporary rejection by fEPM due to insufficient charging state for RSU.

So what is happening is the battery(ies) are not holding sufficient charge to allow the remote software update to proceed. Or this is a software bug not reading the charge state of the battery(ies) correctly. The batteries are about four years old and still holding enough charge for the day to day needs of operating the car and they pass a diagnostic check so they do not need to be replaced at this time. Ultimately the service department had to manually update the software to get around this. Not ideal but it worked.

Conclusions. The iDrive system should make these failures more transparent to the user. It would also be nice to have a battery health portion of iDrive to better monitor this.

Anyhow that was my experience. Of course when dealing with software one person's issue may be different than another.
I've had this issue for nearly a year now with this RSU "hell". I tend to agree with your explanation here. This has been nothing short of aggravation with such a renown vehicle manufacturer as BMW. I've had it in for this under it's original warranty. I know that I did. This issue! Anyway, after multiple visits, the BMW service client advisor (nice guy though) in the BMW service dept. had told me FINALLY that they would charge me $300.00 for the 11/2023.50 software update version to allow a "forced" install into my 2019 BMW X5 M40i. And, that this was a TOP COMPLAINT he said. So, BMW still won't issue any kind of service bulletin or a recall and cover it's customers. Sure! It's not a safety issue is their answer. So, on top of it all, the client advisor states that there's NO guarantee that my vehicle's electronic modules may suffer damage. Talking about the dealer forcing the software update. Isn't that just a load of crap?!! It makes me NOT want another BMW vehicle as this has been my 5th one. One last idea or posing a question here. Would momentarily disconnecting the vehicle's main battery be an option? i.e. Like removing the main source of electrical power allowing perhaps a reset or re-boot of the electronics? At my wit's end here, really. The X5 still functions fine, so I'm not paying the dealer to do this. Tens of thousands for a BMW and they give no loyalty back from yours.

:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 04:14 PM   #256
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCmmr View Post

Do what I've done. Give up. I've had 3 updates download and expire when they failed to install.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 07:07 PM   #257
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I wish BMW’s software would give a clear indication of WHY it’s not starting an update, but I is probably already in this thread somewhere there are a few preconditions that must be met. This list may miss one or more:
- battery sufficiently charged
- parking brake on
- not in READY state, i.e., the engine not running or on the PHEV, not in READY
- the s/w already downloaded to the vehicle
- vehicle parked essentially on the level (there’s a tolerance, I know my driveway is slightly sloped and it has worked there)
If all of the conditions are met, AFTER you’ve driven it, and shut it off, it will offer you the opportunity to start the update…once it gets to a certain point, you can exit and lock the doors, and it will finish if you don’t want to sit in there.

On mine one time, there was a logged error message they could see at the dealer’s, but I couldn’t…they cleared that, and then it worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:56 AM   #258
RJCmmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
Do what I've done. Give up. I've had 3 updates download and expire when they failed to install.
I know.

I am definitely not going to pay for the update...

So frustrating.
Appreciate 0