BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #309
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

All X5s are built at the plant in SC, USA.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #310
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
This really does suck. Has to be dependent on what country built the car.
Yours look good. When I first starting talking to my CA about seats he said they changed the process for the back seats so they aren't as tight. Didn't even think about what he meant until I got onto this forum and saw the discussion about the the seats.

IMO, there is no way the wrinkles are not by design. A company such as BMW making a high-end vehicle would not accept inferior product from a supplier especially if it was going to be so visible. Not really sure what the purpose of the wrinkles are but I think someone put them there on purpose. Then again, maybe I am giving them too much credit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #311
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I think you're being generous. I would submit that if the "gathered" or wrinkled look is the objective, it would be consistent throughout. The current inventory is inconsistent front to rear, and left to right, and often in the same seating area. That's not right IMO. And execution varies wildly from car to car. Some look passable, some terrible.
It's obvious the person/commitee that changed sewing vendors made a cost-saving decision, and is unwilling to admit a rather large error. That they are accepting this quality from Magna is surprising and disappointing. I was planning a trade to new X5 this Spring. I'm going to delay until (1) Porsche firms up decision on plans for last ICE Macan S before electric conversion, and (2) BMW fixes this leather issue. It's unfortunate, because the new G05 has improved in so many aspects. Maybe 2020 will offer a fix, and add a Silver or nice metallic red would be nice also.

This is my leather after 5+ years & 54,000 miles similar msrp:
Attached Images

Last edited by GTFM3; 02-28-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #312
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
All X5s are built at the plant in SC, USA.
Interesting because the folks in the video were English. So they make the X5 here and ship it back to Germany for the German folks.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #313
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
I think you're being generous. I would submit that if the "gathered" or wrinkled look is the objective, it would be consistent throughout. The current inventory is inconsistent front to rear, and left to right, and often in the same seating area. That's not right IMO. And execution varies wildly from car to car. Some look passable, some terrible.
It's obvious the person/commitee that changed sewing vendors made a cost-saving decision, and is unwilling to admit a rather large error. That they are accepting this quality from Magna is surprising and disappointing. I was planning a trade to new X5 this Spring. I'm going to delay until (1) Porsche firms up decision on plans for last ICE Macan S before electric conversion, and (2) BMW fixes this leather issue. It's unfortunate, because the new G05 has improved in so many aspects. Maybe 2020 will offer a fix, and add a Silver or nice metallic red would be nice also.
Yep, we wanted metallic red. Saw a Glacier white next to ours and it was gorgeous.

This is a truly remarkable, very advanced design. The installer of our tint must have repeated "this car is insane" a dozen times and he's seen them all.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #314
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:

It's funny, and I am sure I am a minority in this, but I don't think that looks at all. It's too new looking an vinyl-esque to me. I am not a fan of natural leather until it has just a little bit of wear and a slight patina to it (but well cared for of course). I'm the same way with shoes too, I don't like them until they have a few broken in creases and a few coats of shoe polish on them, otherwise they look cheap to me.

I'll keep my wrinkles over that too-new look anyday
      02-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #315
GTFM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
It's funny, and I am sure I am a minority in this, but I don't think that looks at all. It's too new looking an vinyl-esque to me. I am not a fan of natural leather until it has just a little bit of wear and a slight patina to it (but well cared for of course). I'm the same way with shoes too, I don't like them until they have a few broken in creases and a few coats of shoe polish on them, otherwise they look cheap to me.

Perhaps I was unclear in the point I was attempting to make. I was not saying the "gathered" technique was better than the "smooth" sewing, but that the look should be CONSISTENT. Pick a look and properly execute. I assume you would want you left shoe to match your right shoe. Likewise, the leather seats, front to back, left to right, should have the same look. Unfortunately there are numerous examples on new X5's that demonstrate lack of QC.
Appreciate 1
Mark609166.50
      02-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #316
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps I was unclear in the point I was attempting to make. I was not saying the "gathered" technique was better than the "smooth" sewing, but that the look should be CONSISTENT. Pick a look and properly execute. I assume you would want you left shoe to match your right shoe. Likewise, the leather seats, front to back, left to right, should have the same look. Unfortunately there are numerous examples on new X5's that demonstrate lack of QC.
Gotcha, and I sure do want my left shoe to match the right one! My intent wasn't to put down your perfect leather either, was just stating my preference. The week before I bought my X5, I also picked up a new 911 with full graphite blue leather. Every time I get in it I say "wear, you new looking SOB"

I think I am pretty lucky with my wrinkles. They match from side to side otherwise I'd be going insane! I'll be even happier once my fronts get a little wear and a little stretch to them though.
      02-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #317
GTFM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha, and I sure do want my left shoe to match the right one! My intent wasn't to put down your perfect leather either, was just stating my preference. The week before I bought my X5, I also picked up a new 911 with full graphite blue leather. Every time I get in it I say "wear, you new looking SOB"

I think I am pretty lucky with my wrinkles. They match from side to side otherwise I'd be going insane! I'll be even happier once my fronts get a little wear and a little stretch to them though.
911 AND X5....Outstanding!
I hear the new ZF8spd on the G05 is almost as good as the PDK?
I'm still on the fence...Macan S or X5. Fortunately wife likes both.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2124.50
      02-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #318
windycitycy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Here is one built in February.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #319
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

911 AND X5....Outstanding!
I hear the new ZF8spd on the G05 is almost as good as the PDK?
I'm still on the fence...Macan S or X5. Fortunately wife likes both.
The ZF on the BMW shifts every bit as quickly and smoothly as the PDK. Being it's my first Porsche without 3 pedals, and learning two new cars at the same time, it'll be a wonder if I don't just hit the shift release on the 911 think it's in park and run into a wall one day.
      02-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #320
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

This is all you opinion and not grounded in fact. We don't know if this was because of a seat manufacturer gaff at all. It could be a BMW design change decision. I doubt that all rear seats have wrinkles while the front seats don't by mistake. The consistency is there. The wrinkles are consistently in the rear and never in the front. They are also contained to a certain area on the seats and not spread all over. If the manufacturer was just goofing up, how come they don't goof up on the front seats? More and more people are hearing the same story from BMW. ALL seats shown so far have these same wrinkles within the same contained area. I do agree earlier pictures had some obvious quality control issues but that looks to have been long resolved. I highly doubt BMW would keep building thousands of cars for months and introduce a new model X7 with seats failing QC. I can understand if one doesn't like the seats but that doesn't mean it was a goof up.

I actually really like my seats and have Zero Issue with them. This non issue continues to be over blown
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #321
jra0113
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post
These seats are not wrinkly. they must not be comfortable then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...;v=WnBydgxY9vQ
This really does suck. Has to be dependent on what country built the car.
Yeah I wouldn't complain that is damn good compared to most
Appreciate 1
Mark609166.50
      02-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #322
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I took delivery on 2/18, built on 2/7. My seats look exactly like these.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:31 AM   #323
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Macan v X5?

I had a Macan last week whilst the Panamera was in the shop and I think all you need do is sit in one then the other. The X5 is a modern, comfortable vehicle whereas the Macan has the feel of a "hot hatch". The Macan is no doubt faster, will burble more and handle better but 10/10 I'd get the X5.

My colleague who has a Macan GTS loves his and would passionately disagree though...so each to their own!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #324
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
I was planning a trade to new X5 this Spring. I'm going to delay until (1) Porsche firms up decision on plans for last ICE Macan S before electric conversion
As I understand it from the recent Porsche statements, the current facelifted ICE Macan's will continue to be built alongside the next gen EV-only Macan for an as yet undisclosed time frame. But, given they have just done the facelift, and you can't even order one of the 'new' Turbo's with the new 2.9L engine, I suspect the current ICE Macan will last at least until the mid 2020's.
Porsche would be stupid to drop ICE this early for such a big seller, as in many parts of the world the charging infrastructure will be a decade or more away from making EV only a realistic proposition for anything other than a home to home journey. And for many it will be several decades away.
I was hoping that the next gen Macan would be a hybrid rather than EV-only, but EV only is just not an option for me, as like about 50% of UK households that can't charge at home.
      03-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #325
hpfisterer
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I pick mine up in 3 weeks at PCD. All I can say, if they are wrinkled I'll put in a complaint upon delivery. Too expensive not to have tight seats, especially if the build includes the Luxury seating package. Stay tuned..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #326
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfisterer View Post
I pick mine up in 3 weeks at PCD. All I can say, if they are wrinkled I'll put in a complaint upon delivery. Too expensive not to have tight seats, especially if the build includes the Luxury seating package. Stay tuned..
If you received wrinkle-free seats, you would be the first one here to do so... May want to reset expectations. Or find the unicorn vehicle from the untouched publicity photos...
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      03-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #327
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfisterer View Post
They will be wrinkled. They will look exactly like all the others. This is the way they are being made. I do appreciate the chest thumping, I too have felt similarly in the past, but it's just the way this is gonna be. The sooner you pass through the stages of grief from Denial and Anger (skip Bargaining and Depression) and get to where the rest are at Acceptance, the easier it will be. I'm here for YOU.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2124.50
akhter420.00
      03-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #328
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
They will be wrinkled. They will look exactly like all the others. This is the way they are being made. I do appreciate the chest thumping, I too have felt similarly in the past, but it's just the way this is gonna be. The sooner you pass through the stages of grief from Denial and Anger (skip Bargaining and Depression) and get to where the rest are at Acceptance, the easier it will be. I'm here for YOU.
Don't forget rejection.
Appreciate 1
akhter420.00
      03-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #329
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Quote:
Don't forget rejection.
Was referring to the Kübler-Ross stages o learned on psych clerkship , but ya that one sucks too
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #330
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Was referring to the Kübler-Ross stages o learned on psych clerkship , but ya that one sucks too
Yes Doc, I was referring to the car, rejection rather than acceptance then all the other stages can be missed

Can't believe that owners are accepting them with some of the photos of rear seats posted on the forum.
Appreciate 0