BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #331
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

After a long wait, and about 6 weeks in the shop for an dead DKombi, and a "Driving Assistance Malfunction" error after they replaced the Kombi, I was able to code the TLA function. I'm in the US and sometimes it recognizes the lights, and sometimes it doesn't. I also notice that when it does recognize the lights, it wants to stop right at the bottom of the actual traffic lights. Traffic lights in the US are placed on the opposite side of the intersection and not at the point where you need to stop like in Europe. Could this behavior be because of that? As for now, I don't use it, because it's dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #332
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
After a long wait, and about 6 weeks in the shop for an dead DKombi, and a "Driving Assistance Malfunction" error after they replaced the Kombi, I was able to code the TLA function. I'm in the US and sometimes it recognizes the lights, and sometimes it doesn't. I also notice that when it does recognize the lights, it wants to stop right at the bottom of the actual traffic lights. Traffic lights in the US are placed on the opposite side of the intersection and not at the point where you need to stop like in Europe. Could this behavior be because of that? As for now, I don't use it, because it's dangerous.
Does yours auto stop at lights, or do you have to confirm the red light when it notices it?

On mine I have to confirm it, for it to stop and I'm not sure if there's some coding I have to tweak.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #333
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Yep it does that. It also detects lights without cruise active and will stop for them even when a trailer is connected to the tow bar. It turns the SWA off but acc and tla still works.

I'm finding it's working really well with 03/2021. Getting close to fully dependable
You’re right (of course!). I noticed tonight, that although nothing is displayed in the HUD, I did see the green light on the dash when it dinged.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #334
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Does yours auto stop at lights, or do you have to confirm the red light when it notices it?

On mine I have to confirm it, for it to stop and I'm not sure if there's some coding I have to tweak.
I suspect it’s working correctly. I need to confirm at more complex intersections, but for simple traffic lights where there is only one visible set of lights, it does it automatically every time.
Appreciate 1
VTENGR1053.50
      03-31-2021, 08:51 PM   #335
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:

It attempts to stop, but it rolls past the lines on the pavement, and I have to apply the brake so I won't stop in the middle of the intersection. I do not have to press set, it automatically does it.

I also notice that it attempts to stop in the middle of the intersection if the light turns yellow while going through it.

It must be due to the region settings and how it's not ready for US deployment.

Armando
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:18 PM   #336
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
Quote:

It attempts to stop, but it rolls past the lines on the pavement, and I have to apply the brake so I won't stop in the middle of the intersection. I do not have to press set, it automatically does it.

I also notice that it attempts to stop in the middle of the intersection if the light turns yellow while going through it.

It must be due to the region settings and how it's not ready for US deployment.

Armando
I'm in Southern California. Sometimes it stops perfectly at the line, others it will stop in the middle of the intersection. Usually the auto detection works better, but not always.

The scary ones are when it automatically tries to stop as it's passing through the intersection! It's embarrassing because it makes it look like I'm brake checking the person behind me. Doh! I'm on 11/2020 software.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 02:34 AM   #337
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Thinking about it pragmatically, unless there are significant improvements in 03/2021 for the US, which I would doubt as it's still not announced for US models, then it sounds like it's not worth enabling. That behaviour sounds both annoying and potentially dangerous.

if you uncheck the 'Consider traffic lights' in the Speed Assistant, does it just give you the TL recognition in HUD? Not sopping but better than nothing, and the green light reminder should still work.

If that disables it entirely, then change SAS3/aUCC_Land* back to the default bitmask. This should disable the automatic stopping part. It will still present SET, but you don't have to use it and it wont put you in a position where its stopping automatically but badly.

At this stage it sounds like the Give Way Warning would work better for the US i.e. it warns if you are about to run a red light night/stop sign/give way sign, but that requires an FSC in addition to the KAFAS coding.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #338
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Looks like your spreadsheet posted earlier no longer loads anyway to get access to it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #339
Cnoprea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i N26

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting that ADV persisted. What i-step were you on previous to the OTA? Any major branch update should have wiped the ADV coding when DKOMBI was programmed and re-coded. So if you went from say 03/2020 to 07/2020 then you would have lost the coding. I have heard reports of DKOMBI not being upgraded as part of the 07/2020.x i-step upgrade and remaining on the previous version.

The second option for 40mph is for aSLA. So you can set a speed above/below the speed limit up to 40mph and then one for over 40 mph. I have +2mph up to 40mph and +5mph for >40mph. Keeps it within the tolerances for ACPO guidelines for speeding fines.

If you want auto lane change to persist post i-step upgrades, ask your coder to remove 8TR from your FA.

None of the options shown will appear on your vehicle even with i-step 07/2020, including the extra +/- mph option for aSLA, as they need specific coding beyond the default.

TLA requires UCC, which is part of SLA, which is part of DAP (5AU). You won't get UCC/TLA without coding, but there are improvements in Drive Assist in 07/2020 that do come as standard without coding.

Out of the available code-able options on 07/2020, for a UK car, I can recommend:
- TLA
- Emergency lane formation
- Automatic distance control
- the extra aSLA speed option, but this came with an earlier i-step

The no undertaking option is pants, and the highway exit assistant isn't ready for prime time.
Can you please release the google drive doc that was once out for these things?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #340
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I've decided to pull all coding support for TLA including the spreadsheet.

While it works well In the U.K. it seems it's still not active on MY21 models and as such not considered production ready.

Factoring In dangerous behaviour in other markets, I'm calling time on my involvement for now. Obviously the coding is out there, but I dont recommend anyone try it unless you know what you are doing and are located in the EU. Even then, coder beware!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #341
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

While it works well In the U.K. it seems it's still not active on MY21 models and as such not considered production ready.

Factoring In dangerous behaviour in other markets, I'm calling time on my involvement for now. Obviously the coding is out there, but I dont recommend anyone try it unless you know what you are doing and are located in the EU. Even then, coder beware!
Got it- appreciate all your support up until now.
Appreciate 1
ifr1201.50
      04-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #342
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d Touring xDrive Msport

Quote:

Hi ifr
I confirm that even in Italy already with the 11.2020 firmware it worked perfectly (maybe because the form factory of traffic light are more simple than in other countries), he also read the sudden change from orange to red.
now my car has been updated to firmware 03.2021 so I will test again to see if there are any improvements.

rather I wanted to know from you if in this new firmware bmw add the function that allows you to drive without hands on the steering wheel at speeds below 40km / h (even on urban roads) .. or if it was already present?

because this morning in traffic I was almost 5 min without hands on the wheel
and on the instrumental cluster didn’t appear ejta+
Very strange but very comfortable
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #343
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpgiuliano View Post
Quote:

Hi ifr
I confirm that even in Italy already with the 11.2020 firmware it worked perfectly (maybe because the form factory of traffic light are more simple than in other countries), he also read the sudden change from orange to red.
now my car has been updated to firmware 03.2021 so I will test again to see if there are any improvements.

rather I wanted to know from you if in this new firmware bmw add the function that allows you to drive without hands on the steering wheel at speeds below 40km / h (even on urban roads) .. or if it was already present?

and on the instrumental cluster didn't appear ejta+
I can't really tell as I don't get wheel prompts on any road or speed anyway, but it definitely allowed hands free at 10 mph or less when I first got it.

Maybe they changed the HOD parameters to align with better SWA algorithms?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #344
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

That makes sense, because I don't see an option to disable TLA and only signal the light change. Seems there should be an option for that though in the settings other than using EsysX.

The only location I saw is attached. I unchecked there and it didn't make a difference, it would still auto stop at certain lights.

I usually have my foot right by the gas so it's not a big deal, but certainly not ready for primetime. Especially if one is not aware of the limitations.

Hopefully soon or eventually they work out all the kinks and enable it. My guess is that will happen only with iDrive 8 for the US.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:33 AM   #345
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
That makes sense, because I don't see an option to disable TLA and only signal the light change. Seems there should be an option for that though in the settings other than using EsysX.

The only location I saw is attached. I unchecked there and it didn't make a difference, it would still auto stop at certain lights.

I usually have my foot right by the gas so it's not a big deal, but certainly not ready for primetime. Especially if one is not aware of the limitations.

Hopefully soon or eventually they work out all the kinks and enable it. My guess is that will happen only with iDrive 8 for the US.

[IMG][/IMG]
The option to 'Consider traffic lights' should appear in the 'Speed Assistant' idrive menu option, just below where you select 'Automatic, Manual' aSLA settings.

The menu you posted checks for when the lights turn Green and then prompts if you aren't paying attention. Quite useful.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 03:22 AM   #346
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
The option to 'Consider traffic lights' should appear in the 'Speed Assistant' idrive menu option, just below where you select 'Automatic, Manual' aSLA settings.

The menu you posted checks for when the lights turn Green and then prompts if you aren't paying attention. Quite useful.
Oh ok I'll check tomorrow and report. Had my second dose of the vaccine today so maybe a bit foggy brained.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Some of these menus aren't as intuitive as others, and I thought I had seen it somewhere before.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #347
Kacpi_23
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Hi ifr, any idea why the code sheet has been removed? Links doesn't work anymore ;(

Best!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #348
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacpi_23 View Post
Hi ifr, any idea why the code sheet has been removed? Links doesn't work anymore ;(

Best!
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27420923
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #349
Kacpi_23
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Ok thanks. Understood. Thanks anyways for your mass of posts and helpful thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #350
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

The only traffic light assistance I would like to see is a quick sound alert when the light goes from red to green. Sometimes the light is just hard to see, or I may he distracted. Should be easy to do, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #351
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
The only traffic light assistance I would like to see is a quick sound alert when the light goes from red to green. Sometimes the light is just hard to see, or I may he distracted. Should be easy to do, right?
That is part of the system and should be possible with limited coding in SAS, HU and BDC.

Some of the US forum members should be able confirm that they can activate that without enabling the full TLA. I guess you could break it into 3 parts:
1) Traffic Light recognition - displays light status if not green in the console/HUD
2) Stops, either after manual confirmation or automatically, on amber/red lights
3) Warns (visual and audible) when light changes from red to green

Any combination of these should be possible with either coding and/or i-drive menu configuration after full coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #352
Xmel`
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpgiuliano View Post
Quote:

Hi ifr

and on the instrumental cluster didn't appear ejta+
I can't really tell as I don't get wheel prompts on any road or speed anyway, but it definitely allowed hands free at 10 mph or less when I first got it.

Maybe they changed the HOD parameters to align with better SWA algorithms?
Can you please tell how to code off that wheel prompt?
Because when I have coded TLA and aSLA ( thanks for your ideas) on 11/2020 it started to be annoying in city. TLA and other features are great.
But that wheel...
The most annoying thing is that It even asks for it when you have your arms on it.
Appreciate 0