05-16-2024, 10:33 AM   #23
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I’m just saying just because one, a few, or several hundred don’t use it doesn’t make it a pointless feature
By that same token, just because people do use it doesn't make it have a point either.

The benefit of auto hold in an automatic transmission vehicle is you can be stopped and take your foot off the brake. But the risk is that now your foot is off the brake and if you start moving again because you tap the gas with your foot or whatever, your brake foot is possibly out of position, resting on the dead pedal or something like that.

There's plenty of times where I need to reach into the back for the kiddos at a red light, but the risk of accidentally hitting the gas and trusting the auto hold is too risky to me. I just press the park button on the trans instead. That way if while reaching into the back I hit the gas, I just rev and challenge the car next to me to a race, not hit the car in front of me.
Appreciate 1
matowi733.50
      05-16-2024, 11:26 AM   #24
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I guess it's just because I'm old... If you like it, there is a point. If you don't, like anything else for which you see no benefit, or don't participate in, it can be seen as pointless.

Just perspective in play here, it's not like there's a right answer.
Appreciate 2
tooloud10902.00
matowi733.50
      05-16-2024, 01:10 PM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Quote:
I’m just saying just because one, a few, or several hundred don’t use it doesn’t make it a pointless feature
By that same token, just because people do use it doesn't make it have a point either.

The benefit of auto hold in an automatic transmission vehicle is you can be stopped and take your foot off the brake. But the risk is that now your foot is off the brake and if you start moving again because you tap the gas with your foot or whatever, your brake foot is possibly out of position, resting on the dead pedal or something like that.

There's plenty of times where I need to reach into the back for the kiddos at a red light, but the risk of accidentally hitting the gas and trusting the auto hold is too risky to me. I just press the park button on the trans instead. That way if while reaching into the back I hit the gas, I just rev and challenge the car next to me to a race, not hit the car in front of me.
I can understand your point about inadvertently lurching fwd, but i fail to see your point (bolded above). if I’m on Auto Hold and reach in the back but accidentally press the gas pedal with my right foot, it’s that same foot that’ll brake. my left foot isn’t “out of position” because it was never in play in the first place. even when driving manuals, I used my right foot for both braking and acceleration.

do you primarily use the right for to accelerate and left foot to brake? I know some folks do but would think it’s the minority
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 01:30 PM   #26
11001X101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

I use it on local streets or drive through. Kind of scary if going in/out the garage with it on. This is where I think MB's design is more practical.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 02:23 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I've been going in and out of my garage for 15 years with it on and never had an issue. It can be done.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10902.00
      05-16-2024, 03:56 PM   #28
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can understand your point about inadvertently lurching fwd, but i fail to see your point (bolded above). if I’m on Auto Hold and reach in the back but accidentally press the gas pedal with my right foot, it’s that same foot that’ll brake. my left foot isn’t “out of position” because it was never in play in the first place. even when driving manuals, I used my right foot for both braking and acceleration.

do you primarily use the right for to accelerate and left foot to brake? I know some folks do but would think it’s the minority
It's situational for me. Sometimes I find myself doing a bit of trail braking around sweepers without really thinking about it, and sometimes I rest my feet in weird places. Its not like an every day concern for me, but it happens. The number of people I see riding around with brake lights constantly lit up tells me a lot more people than I'd like to believe are riding around with their foot on the brake pedal. I bet they complain about how quickly their brakes go out too.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia5193.50
      05-16-2024, 04:04 PM   #29
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
It's situational for me. Sometimes I find myself doing a bit of trail braking around sweepers without really thinking about it, and sometimes I rest my feet in weird places. Its not like an every day concern for me, but it happens. The number of people I see riding around with brake lights constantly lit up tells me a lot more people than I'd like to believe are riding around with their foot on the brake pedal. I bet they complain about how quickly their brakes go out too.
so true lol
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 07:39 PM   #30
crabman
Major
Rep

Huh, I don't really see a lot of people riding the brakes. I'm trying to decide if I'm obtuse or there's a regional factor. Maybe something else... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 07:51 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

When I see someone whose driving along, usually in town with their brake lights on constantly, it’s both distracting, and less than safe, as then, you don’t really notice immediately if they are slowing down. It also does a number on the brake pads, and can make the disks get really hot. I don’t see it often, but I do see it. Some people think they can stop faster that way; maybe they were taught that way, but personally, I’d find it painful after a while, as it could constantly put a twist in your lower spine with your legs at different heights, and trying to hover your foot above the brake pedal would add to that. It’s not an every day occurrence, but you’d know it if you saw it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:20 PM   #32
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Huh, I don't really see a lot of people riding the brakes. I'm trying to decide if I'm obtuse or there's a regional factor. Maybe something else... lol
Got a lot of old people here. I e always assumed people were doing it to support their foot. Why they can't just put the foot on the dead pedal or floor, I got nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 07:25 AM   #33
theindus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 xDrive50e

Does a long brake press result in a hold? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:05 AM   #34
driftkido
Private
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theindus View Post
When AH is on, the brake hold will engage once the car is stationary while pressing the brake pedal. I personally only use it while waiting on traffic light. If the traffic is crawling I usually turn it off and also during parking.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:59 AM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
for anyone interested, some of us did some testing with Auto Hold to learn some nuances in its operation, programming, etc. I believe it starts on page 5 in the following thread:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1999383
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 04:42 PM   #36
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I had one older BMW where auto hold would engage early, i.e., when still coasting at a low speed…the dealer adjusted it so it only engaged once fully stopped. My other BMWs have always only engaged while fully stopped. As a result, crawling in traffic should not be an issue as it’s automatically released when you press on the accelerator, allowing a slow crawl when required.

Personally, I don’t see a reason to turn it off for my driving. It’s nice to not have to hold the brake while stopped.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10902.00
      05-18-2024, 04:49 PM   #37
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

An added benefit to auto hold - no need to engage or disengage parking brake in the garage when parked. Old habits die hard, I still reach out to engage parking brake sometimes in the garage and then realize they are already on.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10902.00
      05-19-2024, 10:08 AM   #38
11001X101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Speaking of parking brake, is there a way to engage it automatically when you hit P?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theindus View Post
MB does it this way. You release the brake slightly and press a little longer it will engage a hold. I think this is more convenient.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:30 AM   #39
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Anyone know what will happen if you have auto hold engaged, foot off brake pedal and you get rear ended?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:30 AM   #40
cgukevin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001X101 View Post
Speaking of parking brake, is there a way to engage it automatically when you hit P?

MB does it this way. You release the brake slightly and press a little longer it will engage a hold. I think this is more convenient.
I agree. I prefer long pressing brake to engage brake hold in some MB and Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:58 AM   #41
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
Anyone know what will happen if you have auto hold engaged, foot off brake pedal and you get rear ended?
Same damage as would happen if you were stopped with foot on brake. The car will not roll forward if that’s what you’re asking.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 12:13 PM   #42
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
Interesting question… what exactly are you wondering, expecting…?

when driving around then stopped with AH engaged, a green PARK illuminates in the cluster signifying the disc brakes are being used to hold the vehicle (similar to pressing the brake pedal), so logic would dictate you’ll be making a call to the cops and insurance
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 12:24 PM   #43
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting question… what exactly are you wondering, expecting…?

when driving around then stopped with AH engaged, a green PARK illuminates in the cluster signifying the disc brakes are being used to hold the vehicle (similar to pressing the brake pedal), so logic would dictate you’ll be making a call to the cops and insurance
Thanks. Just trying to see if anyone has actual experience. Would expect the brake to hold even if pushed forward. Would hate to have it released, however, if you foot is hovering over the gas pedal, a hit to the rear may accidently cause a reaction to push on the gas and release the brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 01:33 PM   #44
crabman
Major
Rep

It's an interesting question. I have little doubt manufacturers addressed it in some fashion, but I can't recall reading a word about it.

I've done a quick search and didn't come up with anything specific.
Appreciate 0