eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
My old FD RX7 Touring.
Oh yes. Mazda seat are incredibly comfortable. I has a MX6 before, will take that seat over many.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #24
GForce55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Oh yes. Mazda seat are incredibly comfortable. I has a MX6 before, will take that seat over many.
New Mazda seats are awful. Sat in the CX-5, 9, 30, and 50 and the CX-5 was the most comfortable but still not great. They felt like cardboard leather and hardly any cushion. These were the fully loaded models as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:52 PM   #25
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce55 View Post
New Mazda seats are awful. Sat in the CX-5, 9, 30, and 50 and the CX-5 was the most comfortable but still not great. They felt like cardboard leather and hardly any cushion. These were the fully loaded models as well.
I agree. I own a 2022 CX5 Signature fully loaded. These seats are made for petite people. On top of that the gas pedal and break only have about 1 inch between them and the transmission tunnel is almost right up against the gas pedal. I am constantly smacking the plastic side wall when my foot goes from the brake pedal to the gas pedal.

That being said, it is exceptionally quiet. Almost as quiet as my X7. Plus, that little 4 banger will do 0 to 60 mph in under 6 seconds. It handles quite well also. Half the cost of an X5 is an added bonus.

Nothing beats the ride of my X7 though. The X7 is the most impressive vehicle I've ever driven. Although some of their technology and updates are beyond comprehension.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #26
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e28 M5, e34 540 M-Sport

I had high hopes for the comfort seats in the G05 and have been frustrated by my inability to find a new vehicle with comfortable seats for long road trips....especially given the wide range of highly adjustable options these days.

So I took a deep dive to try and figure out the root cause of my problem. I'm on the tall side and have back problems, so YMMV...

TLDR: most modern seats place the adjustable lumber support too low on the spine

Take a look a the attached diagrams for optimal seating position. The apex of the curve of the spine should land somewhere near the L3 vertebrae. (green arrow)

What I have observed in the X5 is the lumbar adjustment is located at the bottom of the backrest, and in fact is active almost all the way to the seat bottom...near the red arrow on seating diagram.

Inflating the lumber support too low on the back (S2 area of the spine spine) doesn't provide optimal alignment for the spine, and if fact could even force you towards the improper driving position, as denoted by the red x on the seating diagram.

I found this to be the case not only with the X5 (standard & comfort) but in the Q7, Lincoln Aviator, Range Rover, Volvo XC90, and Lexus Gx460. I had high hopes for the Lincoln 30-way adjustable, but even with all their adjustments they fail to provide lumbar adjustment high enough on the back.

I didn't have an chance for an real review of the Porsche Cayenne or the Merc GLS 450, but a quick sit in each gave me the impression that the seats were more closely aligned with the optimal posture shown in the seating diagram...but I didn't have a chance to adjust lumbar, or spend any time it the seats.

Love to get some feedback from any orthopedic surgeons or PT's on my amateur analysis.

Bottom line, love the G05, but it looks like is going to require some additional support in the proper lumber area for long road trips. At the risk of pulling a grandpa, going give this a try since it's very low profile and infinitely adjustable - https://morfitusa.com
Attached Images

Last edited by nordring; 07-29-2022 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mixitt373.50
      07-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #27
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordring View Post
I had high hopes for the comfort seats in the G05 and have been frustrated by my inability to find a new vehicle with comfortable seats for long road trips....especially given the wide range of highly adjustable options these days.

So I took a deep dive to try and figure out the root cause of my problem. I'm on the tall side and have back problems, so YMMV...

TLDR: most modern seats place the adjustable lumber support too low on the spine

Take a look a the attached diagrams for optimal seating position. The apex of the curve of the spine should land somewhere near the L3 vertebrae. (green arrow)

What I have observed in the X5 is the lumbar adjustment is located at the bottom of the backrest, and in fact is active almost all the way to the seat bottom...near the red arrow on seating diagram.

Inflating the lumber support too low on the back (S2 area of the spine spine) doesn't provide optimal alignment for the spine, and if fact could even force you towards the improper driving position, as denoted by the red x on the seating diagram.

I found this to be the case not only with the X5 (standard & comfort) but in the Q7, Lincoln Aviator, Range Rover, Volvo XC90, and Lexus Gx460. I had high hopes for the Lincoln 30-way adjustable, but even with all their adjustments they fail to provide lumbar adjustment high enough on the back.

I didn't have an chance for an real review of the Porsche Cayenne or the Merc GLS 450, but a quick sit in each gave me the impression that the seats were more closely aligned with the optimal posture shown in the seating diagram...but I didn't have a chance to adjust lumbar, or spend any time it the seats.

Love to get some feedback from any orthopedic surgeons or PT's on my amateur analysis.

Bottom line, love the G05, but it looks like is going to require some additional support in the proper lumber area for long road trips. At the risk of pulling a grandpa, going give this a try since it's very low profile and infinitely adjustable - https://morfitusa.com
18 Way seats in my '20 Cayenne allow you to move the lumbar to where you need it. This should allow proper alignment for most heights of driver (I am 5'8"). They are supremely comfortable as well, I have the Club leather.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
Mixitt373.50
      07-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #28
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
18 Way seats in my '20 Cayenne allow you to move the lumbar to where you need it. This should allow proper alignment for most heights of driver (I am 5'8"). They are supremely comfortable as well, I have the Club leather.
Appreciate the feedback, thank you! I will take another look at the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 07:12 AM   #29
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

How much MORE comfy would -modern seats- be if we didn't add the ventilation in time. I believe there are some tradeoffs in seat comfort when we add this into the design of the guts..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #30
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Lexus GX 460
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 07:54 PM   #31
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

2017 F150 Lariat loaded. Best long distance drive vehicle over BMW 5 series and Lexus suvs. Our newish x5 m50i with extended merino iand massager is close.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 10:08 PM   #32
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Liked my 2007 Acura MDX Touring seats. Very comfortable even though they were ventilated.

2022 G05 massage seats, not very comfortable. Wish I would have got the plain multi contour
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #33
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Liked my 2007 Acura MDX Touring seats. Very comfortable even though they were ventilated.

2022 G05 massage seats, not very comfortable. Wish I would have got the plain multi contour
Have you spent any time in the massage vs regular multi-contour to compare? I haven't been able to sit in/demo a G05 massage seat prior to ordering.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #34
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Have you spent any time in the massage vs regular multi-contour to compare? I haven't been able to sit in/demo a G05 massage seat prior to ordering.
Yes and stupid of me to buy a car with the massaging/ventilated seats. BMW ventilated seats have always been too firm for me, especially as I own the car for a while.

Of course everyone is different. I am tall/larger so my fit is different than others. On top of that, the massage function doesn't do much.

Really prefer the multi-contours.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2022, 12:25 AM   #35
ProfessorPatPending
Private
Rep
Drives: X5, X3M, X3m40i

[QUOTE=nordring;29164034]

The lumbar on my 2021 X3-M Sport seats have the same problem.
Lumbar setting is useless other than to fully retract, to avoid discomfort. This unfortunately leaves an air gap behind my butt.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2022, 02:34 AM   #36
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Volvo here.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 06:41 AM   #37
97supratt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: porsche and mercedes

Most comfortable for me would be any 90’s Cadillac seat.
Appreciate 1
FCX52410.50
      08-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #38
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Yes and stupid of me to buy a car with the massaging/ventilated seats. BMW ventilated seats have always been too firm for me, especially as I own the car for a while.

Of course everyone is different. I am tall/larger so my fit is different than others. On top of that, the massage function doesn't do much.

Really prefer the multi-contours.
Just to clarify I am focused on the adjustable lumbar being too low on the backrest, rather than a "too firm" seat bottom, so we might be talking about different things, but:

After watching some online videos of the massage seat settings (still haven't been able to demo) that show a graphic of massage settings relatively high up on the backrest....I was holding out faint hope the massage seats might offer adjustment higher on the seat compared to standard or multi-contour.

but based on your experience, maybe not so?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #39
ProfessorPatPending
Private
Rep
Drives: X5, X3M, X3m40i

After having been disappointed by different X3 seats (Sport, Vented, M-Sport), I recently test drove an X5 with -very- comfortable Multi-Contour seats. So I traded in the X3.

Last edited by ProfessorPatPending; 08-08-2022 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 09:22 PM   #40
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Just took a 6,000 plus mile cross country trip in X5. Have the upgraded multi contour seats with Tartufo leather.

Best seats I have ever had. Period. Neither I or wife had back issues once.

Amazing seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:04 PM   #41
gschlact2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

In my 2008 535xi standard seats, it allowed me to move the lumbar higher and lower, and then the inflation in and out. Is this not the case in the G05? I would assume it is especially with Comfot Sest option?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:55 PM   #42
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The lumbar does move up/down and in/out, but maybe not enough for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:07 PM   #43
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschlact2 View Post
In my 2008 535xi standard seats, it allowed me to move the lumbar higher and lower, and then the inflation in and out. Is this not the case in the G05? I would assume it is especially with Comfot Sest option?
The problem I have identified with most newer luxury class SUV seats including the G05 (and again people without back issues may not notice) is the the "lumbar adjustment" never actually moves high enough to support the lumbar spine, ie. the green arrow on diagram around L3, and is when inflated in it's highest position is actually exerting pressure on your sacrum ie. the red arrow, around S2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:44 PM   #44
RgR^DgR
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 m50i

'95 DeVille. I don't know why, but the bench seats were just lush.
Appreciate 0