BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #23
echo46mike3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M3, X5 45e

45e, this thing is really efficient 60-75mph even when HV battery is out of juice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:59 PM   #24
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

What is the recorded Edrive miles? It says 6.9kWh is consumed. Should be responsible for some Edrive miles, right?
      11-15-2023, 09:06 PM   #25
echo46mike3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M3, X5 45e

No idea, how long would 6.9kwh last tho, 20mi tops?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:24 PM   #26
NJSlick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
He may not have a plug available (even a 120V one) where he parks though.
Only option would be to steal power from the building…but I have access to public chargers since I’m in a urban area at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:26 PM   #27
NJSlick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post
You should expect 2 to 3 mpg less than the 40i.
Probably not recommended mid term as others have mentioned.

But on the other hand you should be able to charge on occasion.

Have you looked into a platform like plugshare? Community Centers, Parking lots, Shopping Centers may offer charging stations.

What is in your area and in a place that you may frequent?
How fast does it charge on level 2? Thought it was a couple of hrs? That doesn’t sound appealing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:27 PM   #28
NJSlick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Just so people aren't confused. Battery Hold can be used to keep the battery at any percentage, it all depends on when it is engaged.
Not sure I understand that and reconditioning.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:49 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSlick View Post
Not sure I understand that and reconditioning.
When you engage Battery Hold it will keep the charge at the percentage it is. For example, if you engage it when then charge is 30% then it will keep the batteries charged at 30%.

Preconditioning is the ability to heat/cool the vehicle prior to you using it. For a regular ICE vehicle this is done by remote start but for the PHEV the engine is not used but rather the battery. That is why it is always good to keep some charge in case you want to heat or cool the vehicle prior to you using it.
      11-15-2023, 09:58 PM   #30
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo46mike3 View Post
No idea, how long would 6.9kwh last tho, 20mi tops?
45e maybe 14-15 on flat. But if you are down hill, ICE off miles get counted toward Edrive miles, it is hard to say, can be a lot more.
      11-15-2023, 10:05 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Preconditioning may be more of a major benefit in the winter if the vehicle was parked outside. IF there was snow or ice on it, the heating would allow you to clear it off much faster and easier. Same with remote start. If your battery is too low to perform that, you'd have to drive it enough with the ICE to build up some charge to get the heat on full, similar to an ICE on a cold start. It's much more comfortable to get it warmed up (or cooled off in the summer) prior to getting in it. And, ideally, you're plugged in when that happens so you don't lose EV range. Note, preconditioning on the PHEV lasts longer than remote start (about 30-minutes versus 15 on the ICE), giving you a bigger lead on clearing snow or ice. An ICE engine doesn't warm up that fast when no under load, as it would be idling. Also, you can precondition the PHEV in a closed garage without CO issues as the engine doesn't run. If you request preconditioning and the battery is too low, essentially, nothing will happen, it won't fall back and start the ICE until you get it in and hit the start button.

Regardless of the battery charge, the PHEV will always act like a hybrid, and make the best use of whatever battery capacity it is allowed to use, helping. You just may not be able to drive very far on the batteries before it activates the ICE, but will give you a boost from a stop or during acceleration. Just maybe not for long. Roads are rarely totally flat, and you're almost always going to see a little bit of speed change, so there will be some opportunity for regeneration to occur...Go down the back side of a mountain, you might fully recharge it!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 10:30 PM   #32
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Does Sport mode on the 50e use only the ICE? For some reason, I feel like I'm quicker off the line in Hybrid mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 11:02 PM   #33
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
Does Sport mode on the 50e use only the ICE? For some reason, I feel like I'm quicker off the line in Hybrid mode.
You are feeling engine program and transmission program differences.

The car can use edrive motor to help ice in very specific situations, like large throttle input. As far as I can tell, the condition is rare. Most of the time if ice is running edrive won't engage. You can record the energy flow diagram by phone or GoPro, and review it later.
      11-15-2023, 11:49 PM   #34
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

How fast does it charge on level 2? Thought it was a couple of hrs? That doesn’t sound appealing.

From 0% to 100% approx. 3 hours, 15 minutes.

However you don't have to charge it full.

One of our Target's around a shopping center allows 2 hours free charging. So it is convenient if you have to go shopping in the area anyway.
Appreciate 1
eluded3071.50
      11-16-2023, 04:20 PM   #35
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You'd have to know your typical trip length to understand how long it will take to fully charge the vehicle...for example, a typical day for me might only use half of the charge, so the time to reach full would differ considerably from someone that needed to recharge an empty one.

Power=volts*amps. So, knowing the inlet voltage and how big your EVSE is along with the maximum the X5 can accept with the size of the battery, you can get a decent rough approximation. As a rough approximation, allow about 10% loss to the ACV-DCV conversion and cooling loads.

BMW purposely chose not to support DC fast charging on the X5. Maybe the next one, and almost certainly on any upcoming BEV versions. But, the speed of that also can vary based on the unit you plug into, and the maximum the device can handle. A DC fast charger could be as small as a 25Kw device, or (the largest I've seen) is a 350Kw device...not very many vehicles can handle a 350Kw input, and would be drawing much less from it.

SS batteries are coming, and those appear to be able to accept a large charge quite fast. None are available just yet, but some appear to be going to show up next year, but BMW hasn't announced any that I'm aware of.

In the summer, when everything has to contend with heat, the cooling load will decrease what makes it into the batteries, so things will be at least a little slower and, as you reach the upper charge levels, things slow down (at least for current battery tech...SS ones may not need that slowdown to prevent damage).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:22 PM   #36
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSlick View Post
Looking to pick up a new X5 and would prefer to get the 50e but at the moment I do not have the ability to charge since we rent an apt. But actively looking to purchase a home but with the current market conditions it might take some time. Anyone know what it’s like to drive without charging and relying on gas only?
Not sure it's a good idea. I read somewhere that you shouldn't leave the battery depleted for more than a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:42 PM   #37
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
are you saying you activate BH at the moment the usable capacity is depleted or very close to depletion? if so, why? at those moments, BH isn’t doing anything other than hurting your fuel efficiency unnecessarily. the vehicle will automatically charge and maintain a minimum charge without BH activated when the usable capacity is depleted

Only way to bring 10% of battery level(for precondition or etc) from below 10% is using BH or Sport mode. Using Hybrid mode will not do anything but just going back at forth 0% to 3%.(0-1miles elec range).

This thread is for the people who can not charge at home not for people who can charge it. So it does not mattery BH hurts fuel efficiency. Battery should be charged to certain level for preconditioning.

Also it feels like acceleration is slower when battery is depleted VS when it is charged 10%. So I think to utilize full acceleration potential, it is better to be charged all the time at least 10%.

Also if somebody can not charge, what is difference between maintaining battery level at 10% all the time or 0% all the time in terms of fuel efficiency?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:59 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915M View Post
Only way to bring 10% of battery level(for precondition or etc) from below 10% is using BH or Sport mode. …
please help me understand how BH can charge up to 10% if activated when the charge level is below 10%

are you doing that deactivate BH > regenerate higher charge level > activate BH cycling thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:25 PM   #39
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
please help me understand how BH can charge up to 10% if activated when the charge level is below 10%

are you doing that deactivate BH > regenerate higher charge level > activate BH cycling thing?
It is how BH works. BH does two things.
1. Hold battery level as is when Battery charge level is above 10%
2. Charge battery to 10% when Battery charge level is under 10%

Recycling BH button is only used to charge is more than 10%.

I guess even though BMW took away Battery condition function for political reason(https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/05...rid-emissions/), they still need to give opportunity to recharge battery for preconditioning for certain scenarios that driver can not charge it from the plug. So they let BH to charge up to 10% just for that case.

I think 50e is better vehicle than 45e but 45e is more complete vehicle for having Battery Condition function. 50e is crippled since it lost one essential function due to political reason not because of technical limitation
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:27 PM   #40
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

If I were in the OP's shoes I'd just get the thing fully charged, then drive around in sport mode all the time. If the battery eventually runs down, figure out a way to get it charged and repeat the cycle. I've only done this for a tank at a time - roughly 400 miles - but the battery stayed at 100%, and those tanks were the highest mileage tanks we've seen, if that matters.

We have a 45e, though, and I suppose the 50e could behave differently. It still doesn't have Battery Control, right? That's too bad for the OP, as it's the quickest way to recharge the battery if it does run down.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:30 PM   #41
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think all of these extras maneuver for 50e for those cannot charge consistently, get old very fast. The need to go some where out of your way to chsnge for even half hour consistently is very painful. Think a long gas station stop. We used to have model S and without home charging capability. Super charging 2x a week on average. Charge time is about 30 min. Going there and coming home, together it is 1 hour. It was ok for the first couple of week, but it really gets annoying after a while.

Doing BH in sport all the time will for sure degrade mpg compare to hybrid. This basically is a 40i with extra weight because ice is on all the time.
tooloud10796.50
      11-16-2023, 08:31 PM   #42
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915M View Post

I think 50e is better vehicle than 45e but 45e is more complete vehicle for having Battery Condition function.
there are definite improvements with the 50e, but I would hate to lose the Battery Control function. I just used it last weekend on a road trip from VA to PA and back. I set it to 50% and drove in this mode for both legs and still logged 27mpg
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 09:04 PM   #43
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post

Doing BH in sport all the time will for sure degrade mpg compare to hybrid. This basically is a 40i with extra weight because ice is on all the time.
At least from my admittedly small sample, that hasn't been the case. In fact, it was the opposite. For clarity, I wasn't using (the 45e's) BC, I was just driving in sport mode.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #44
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
At least from my admittedly small sample, that hasn't been the case. In fact, it was the opposite. For clarity, I wasn't using (the 45e's) BC, I was just driving in sport mode.

Mark
But that is highway right? How about For stop and go or mix usage?