BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2023, 08:42 PM   #23
blinsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
With my 2022 M50i I can setup Sport Individual to be just like Comfort. Steering, engine, transmission and ride can be set to comfort. With everything in Sport Individual set to comfort, it should behave just like Comfort mode, but with ASS disabled. I can't verify this because I didn't update iDrive to the version that kills BimmerCode and I have ASS turned off, but it should be the same as Comfort mode with ASS turned off.

While this works on my X5, I can't be sure it works on other variant.
The workaround doesn't work in the LCI. If Drivetrain is set to Comfort in Sport Individual, the engine will still shut off.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:46 PM   #24
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinsc View Post
The workaround doesn't work in the LCI. If Drivetrain is set to Comfort in Sport Individual, the engine will still shut off.
Bummer!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #25
Gum3toot
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 E50E G05

I’m about to pickup a 50E and I’m really nervous about this auto start stop issue.

I wonder if the community thinks there will be a bimmer code solution at some point in the future ?

I can’t drive this vehicle for 5 years or so without some method of stopping the feature. If there is not, I’m seriously considering pulling out and buying AMG53 or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 10:56 AM   #26
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum3toot View Post
I’m about to pickup a 50E and I’m really nervous about this auto start stop issue.

I wonder if the community thinks there will be a bimmer code solution at some point in the future ?

I can’t drive this vehicle for 5 years or so without some method of stopping the feature. If there is not, I’m seriously considering pulling out and buying AMG53 or something.
Why are you concerned about ASS with your 50e? Unlike the ICE models, the HVAC system will still continue to function regardless if the ICE is running or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 11:09 AM   #27
Gum3toot
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 E50E G05

I assume it has the same effects with traffic conditions, where it studders going back to engine mode. I don’t really care about the AC as much as the shuddering when in certain traffic conditions. Sometimes it’s fine but if you’re driving in SF, you really don’t want ASS happening all the time.
Appreciate 1
RNorb246.50
      09-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #28
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
I assume it has the same effects with traffic conditions, where it studders going back to engine mode. I don’t really care about the AC as much as the shuddering when in certain traffic conditions. Sometimes it’s fine but if you’re driving in SF, you really don’t want ASS happening all the time.
My experience with a non-X model is that for normal traffic you won't notice it. The changeover is pretty smooth. Where it comes an issue is when trying high acceleration "off the line". In that case the delay in starting the engine + waiting for the turbos to spool up is pretty noticeable and "feels" a little jerky. The rest of the time, though? Meh.

ASS annoys the heck out of me too. The BMW PHEV system doesn't.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #29
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
I think you should be alright in the 50e since that's an actual active hybrid! From my (limited) understanding, active hybrids like the 50e have a traction motor from the battery that can actually drive the wheels. My M60i's 48v system is passive - it doesn't directly drive the wheels and only (theoretically) provides boost to the engine or some torque fill. From what I've read it's basically just a bigger starter generator connected to the alternator (the electric boost is supplied to the starter generator and a passive boost through the belt system).

I could probably tolerate this if I was coming to full stops and idling, but that's not the case. What this mild hybrid setup means in practice from my experience with my car is the engine is cutting off any time the vehicle believes it can "coast" when it falls below 10 mph but as soon as you are lifting off the brake to get back on the accelerator, it needs to restart the engine to actually provide propulsion.

I am almost exclusively driving within city limits during the work week, so the number of times I am approaching a stoplight which then turns green, turning into of navigating a parking lot, just hitting a few slow moving cars, approaching a stop sign, approaching a toll or ticket booth etc. is very frequent. In all those cases I am also within a single second back on the accelerator - so the natural expectation of how the vehicle will behave is interrupted and then quickly followed by the engine coming back online to motivate the vehicle forward.

Even when I do my recreational driving outside the city on the weekends, the fact that the system cuts the engine every single time I go below 10 mph and restarts as soon as I am lifting my foot off the slightly depressed brake peal is - to me personally - crazy making.

I get the regulatory environment and emissions standards these manufacturers need to meet, but I genuinely cannot comprehend how cutting the engine off for a matter of a second at a time is making any material difference? With all of the driving assistance technology, is there any reason it couldn't limit the engine cutoff in Comfort Mode to when the vehicle is at a full stop for a few seconds at least?

Frankly, I could accept this behavior if I was in Eco Pro mode! In that scenario, I'd be making a conscious choice to prioritize a driving experience that's focused more on efficiency and reducing emissions than driving dynamics. But I opted for a 5,000 pound twin turbo V8 SUV for personal use to the tune of $100k+ specifically for the S68 Engine. I want a performance SUV experience similar to the one I had in the three previous X5s I've had. I know where things are headed in terms of electrification, so I want to keep this car long term knowing that there may not be many more like it. The choice I am given with this insane auto/stop system is either ruining my day-to-day driving experience while also cycling the engine many hundreds of thousands more times over its lifetime than I would otherwise OR putting the added wear the car driving in Sport day in and day out.

Ultimately - the solution they've provided to this is to drive the car in the least efficient mode with the highest possible emissions which is frankly a bit daft.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 04:08 PM   #30
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
Obviously not a real world problem, but I figured I’d ask for help here as I am getting desperate.

I picked up my sixth BMW (fourth X5) about a month ago - I say this to be clear I really, really love the brand. My latest is a 2024 X5 M60i which has the S68 engine and 48v mild hybrid system - I've attached a few photos for people who like to see them with posts. It's my dream car, specced and ordered through BMW Individual etc. It feels ridiculous to complain about it.

The issue is I live in a city and the auto start/stop system cuts the engine (and AC) not just every time I fully stop but essentially every time I go below 9 mph. That's extremely frequently going from city block to city block with stop signs, stoplights traffic slowdowns etc. This includes my apartment building's parking garage when I am maneuvering around, pulling into or out of the building. It is constant.

All of the previous ways of circumventing the auto start/stop seem to have been removed other than driving around in Sport or Sport Plus all the time.

I was wondering if anyone has a workaround for disabling the auto start/stop while still having the drivetrain in Comfort? Even after BMW took away the dedicated deactivation button, you used to be able to set the Sports Individual drivetrain to Comfort and it would still keep the auto start/stop disabled. That doesn't work anymore. From what I am reading it cannot be coded out at this time, either. It seems the only option is to drive in Sport or Sport Plus full time. I know BMW is a performance brand, but I'd like to avoid full time [...]
There's a way to disable but it requires a module to be installed in the wiring connectors of BDC unit of the car but it permanently shuts of ASS feature and also i have to double check if that module will work in M60i, it works in other G05 but not sure about M60i.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 05:51 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The PHEV will get the vehicle moving with the EV motor, then start the ICE if needed. The PHEV has two ways to start the ICE:
- regular starter motor...doesn't use that much and only from a full stop with no battery for the EV motor to run- that really doesn't happen often
- tow-start mode where once moving, it uses clutches in the transmission to tow-start the ICE. This is smooth as the vehicle is already moving and the clutches don't engage all of a sudden but progressively.

When you do not have any HVB capacity left, I do notice, but it's not like an ICE with start/stop. Often, it's hard to actually tell it reengaged the ICE unless you are using heavier acceleration, but not a factor for most driving IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:14 AM   #32
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
. My M60i's 48v system is passive - it doesn't directly drive the wheels and only (theoretically) provides boost to the engine or some torque fill. From what I've read it's basically just a bigger starter generator connected to the alternator (the electric boost is supplied to the starter generator and a passive boost through the belt system).

The electric motor is not part of the starter generator but is built into the transmission and sends power to the drivetrain. Cold starts are handled by the 12v starter and all others are handled by the 48v motor.
X6ix GTA142.00
      09-02-2023, 08:25 AM   #33
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

How does this system behave when you're stuck in rush hour traffic or in a construction zone where you're creeping along at 5 mph, a few feet at a time? Does the ICE ever start? How many engine starts can the 48V battery support before needing recharging?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
How does this system behave when you're stuck in rush hour traffic or in a construction zone where you're creeping along at 5 mph, a few feet at a time? Does the ICE ever start? How many engine starts can the 48V battery support before needing recharging?
The 48v battery is constantly being charged when needed as part of the brake energy regeneration system.
      09-02-2023, 11:19 AM   #35
blinsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Generally speaking, if you're moving forward, the engine is running. There are times when the engine will shut off if you are coasting, but if you touch the gas, the engine will start back up.

In the scenario you described, creeping along, the engine will run until you come to a complete stop, then turn off. If you lift off the brake, the engine will start again.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #36
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
I didn’t know the M60 was missing the button to toggle this. I had a 40i loaner and noticed and hated it. I’ve been contemplating getting an M60; but this, as crazy as it may sound, is kind of a deal breaker for me. They should allow us to turn it on and off with a button. It’s a v8. Fuel economy and green isn’t a thing lol.
      09-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #37
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

is it possible to plugin some kind of OBD link like this: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bimme.../dp/B08NFLL3NT to disable ASS? Or BMW completely locked down their computer?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:19 PM   #38
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machop View Post
is it possible to plugin some kind of OBD link like this: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bimme.../dp/B08NFLL3NT to disable ASS? Or BMW completely locked down their computer?
Coding it off is not possible. BMW has also removed the ability to code it off in older models beginning with 03/2023.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:28 PM   #39
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Coding it off is not possible. BMW has also removed the ability to code it off in older models beginning with 03/2023.
Only if you install updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:35 PM   #40
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnrox250 View Post
I’ve been contemplating getting an M60; but this, as crazy as it may sound, is kind of a deal breaker for me.
I can definitely understand why this would be a deal-breaker for you & others out there. Crazy to think that BMW's possibly missing out on sales for high-end vehicles because of something so simple. It's not quite a deal-breaker for me but I agree it's frustrating.
      09-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #41
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
True , once you update to latest SW even if its pre 2023 model then coding it off is not possible now .
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 01:13 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
03/2023 is the version not the production date. I think sub version 67 is when it was noticed. It will affect all G05 MYs.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 09-02-2023 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 01:18 PM   #43
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMthusiast View Post
I can definitely understand why this would be a deal-breaker for you & others out there. Crazy to think that BMW's possibly missing out on sales for high-end vehicles because of something so simple. It's not quite a deal-breaker for me but I agree it's frustrating.
Could be for you but overall it will have no appreciable effect on sales especially when weighed against the emission credits they receive. That said, I think it is bad they don’t offer a way to disable it.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      09-02-2023, 01:26 PM   #44
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMthusiast View Post
Yeah, two of my vehicles, I have the ability to turn them off, and I’ve even coded them to where they stay off. My M3, it just stays off. In the vehicle of this caliber, I would really think they give you an option to turn it on and off like they used to. It’ll be a fourth vehicle, so I don’t need it, if I needed it, it may not be as much a dealbreaker as I don’t like much else on the market, but it is for my application.