Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
We live in an Arid like climate.. such as AZ.. lots of dust and dry heat

I had the same issue after my first service in .. 1- Did have my filters changed
2- had a specialized ozone deep clean (my SA suggested this) out of pocket product ..
3- try to keep your Air circulation to Auto , as this helps clears out the bacteria trapped inside..
4- another trick is to have your AC set to the hottest temp with your defrost on .. keep it running for about 2 min while parked and try to repeat for 3 to 4 days as the hot air blowing helps kill the bacteria within..

Mine runs like a charm with the bad smell gone .. if incase this comes back you'ed have to set your air circulation to auto (outside air when necessary)

Hope this helps
As I mentioned back in my previous post that showed the parked car ventilation used in iDrive 4/5/6...you all might be able to do the same thing in iDrive 7.

And instead of turning on the heat and sweating yourself out just prior to arriving at your destination...just activate the ventilation feature in iDrive. You can save the activation screen to one of the 1-8 programmable buttons so that you don't have to dig down through iDrive to activate it.

You can select the START NOW ventilation once you pull into your garage and the HVAC blower should continue to run for a few minutes (previous generations would run up to 30 minutes then shut off)...drying out excess moisture and condensate...which will help lessen the growth of bacteria and mold (thus...no AC funk).

Perhaps I'm wrong since I don't have a BMW that has iDrive 7...but if you turn the engine off...but iDrive is still powered...and you select the START NOW ventilation...the engine should NOT restart. So you should be able to close your garage and dry out your HVAC system. Once you select START NOW...and the HVAC blower starts to run...you can then turn off the car and exit. The blower should continue to run (the engine will be off) and when the HVAC blower cycle completes...all other electronics cut off.

If it starts the engine...then my apologies for making an attempt to explain something that I don't have access to.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #24
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
We live in an Arid like climate.. such as AZ.. lots of dust and dry heat

I had the same issue after my first service in .. 1- Did have my filters changed
2- had a specialized ozone deep clean (my SA suggested this) out of pocket product ..
3- try to keep your Air circulation to Auto , as this helps clears out the bacteria trapped inside..
[COLOR="DarkRed"]4- another trick is to have your AC set to the hottest temp with your defrost on .. keep it running for about 2 min while parked and try to repeat for 3 to 4 days as the hot air blowing helps kill the bacteria within.. [/COLOR]

Mine runs like a charm with the bad smell gone .. if incase this comes back you'ed have to set your air circulation to auto (outside air when necessary)

Hope this helps
As I mentioned back in my previous post that showed the parked car ventilation used in iDrive 4/5/6...you all might be able to do the same thing in iDrive 7.

And instead of turning on the heat and sweating yourself out just prior to arriving at your destination...just activate the ventilation feature in iDrive. You can save the activation screen to one of the 1-8 programmable buttons so that you don't have to dig down through iDrive to activate it.

You can select the START NOW ventilation once you pull into your garage and the HVAC blower should continue to run for a few minutes (previous generations would run up to 30 minutes then shut off)...drying out excess moisture and condensate...which will help lessen the growth of bacteria and mold (thus...no AC funk).

Perhaps I'm wrong since I don't have a BMW that has iDrive 7...but if you turn the engine off...but iDrive is still powered...and you select the START NOW ventilation...the engine should NOT restart. So you should be able to close your garage and dry out your HVAC system. Once you select START NOW...and the HVAC blower starts to run...you can then turn off the car and exit. The blower should continue to run (the engine will be off) and when the HVAC blower cycle completes...all other electronics cut off.

If it starts the engine...then my apologies for making an attempt to explain something that I don't have access to.
Turning on the AC ventilation would run solely on car's battery .. and not as strong as the normally turn on AC.. I think either way .. running the heat to the max as much as possible for couple of days takes care of things as it did to mine ..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #25
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

I tried running the heat on full blast. Ran it about 10 minutes or so and you could smell the nasty for about a minute then it cleared. Came back a few days later, but seems to have worked for at least a little while.

Good trick, sucks that it has to be done in the first place, but it seems to work better than the spray in the air intake.

I also picked up an ozone generator. I'll experiment with that as well.
Appreciate 1
Ukd X684.50
      11-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #26
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I tried running the heat on full blast. Ran it about 10 minutes or so and you could smell the nasty for about a minute then it cleared. Came back a few days later, but seems to have worked for at least a little while.

Good trick, sucks that it has to be done in the first place, but it seems to work better than the spray in the air intake.

That's great to hear ..

just keep on running the AC on heat (defrost could work as well) and ozone cleaned up at the dealer if you wish to do so .. should be fine with kittle more time ..if it wasn't for the new complex BMWs climate system
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 04:47 PM   #27
Mixelplux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

So did the Ozone help?

I started experiencing it on my 2019 X5 6 months ago. Have been constantly spraying AC vent cleaner, ozium into fresh air intake. Helps for a bit but come back. Even tried to spray AC vent cleaner down the middle vents with no help. I'm close to getting rid of car for just this reason
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixelplux View Post
So did the Ozone help?

I started experiencing it on my 2019 X5 6 months ago. Have been constantly spraying AC vent cleaner, ozium into fresh air intake. Helps for a bit but come back. Even tried to spray AC vent cleaner down the middle vents with no help. I'm close to getting rid of car for just this reason
You have probably already done this but did you change the cabin filter? My brother started getting the smell and changed his filter and has not had the problem return.
      06-19-2023, 05:46 PM   #29
Pabloh88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I get this in my e70 X5 too. I’ll drive with all windows down and full heat, high fan, and a/c on to flush it with hot dry air for 20 or more minutes. It seems to do the trick. I’ve also heard you should never turn the ac button off in a BMW, regardless of if you are heating, cooling or defrosting. It helps remove humidity from the system, supposedly.

Last edited by Pabloh88; 06-19-2023 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:50 AM   #30
beibei650
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Seriously? I've had countless other BMW's with no issues.

Any suggestions how to stop this?

You might just have been lucky... Had 5 BMWs and every one of them had this issue. Spraying Lysol/stopping the AC and putting fan on high 5 minutes before the end of trip/running highest temp before end of trip/use Auto and not air recirculation mode all help to some extent, but the smell eventually would come back.

On my recent 2 BMWs you can't leave it at recirculation for long which is quite annoying, but it helps reduce the odor build up.

Years ago BMW had a service bulletin which mentioned some ozone treatment with all the doors closed. Never tried that and not sure how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I don't get it. Meaning I don't get the smell and therefore I don't get why others have had it. 40 yrs of BMW's, never had the smell. So my question for those who have had it and have remediated it, what caused it? I'm just curious as to why some have it and some don't. I do change my cabin air filters on a regular basis, is it as simple as that?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:46 PM   #32
11001X101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

I thought it went away but it didn't. Hot weather is here and so is it. It sucks. Precondition/ventilation is so random. It makes me think if it's what it's claimed to do. The only way to not have to deal with this is to remote the car because going but that's not possible when it's inside. The ownership has been wonderful except this and the squeaky brake on slow speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:46 PM   #33
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The AC funk comes from conditions that are ripe for the growth of bacteria and mold. It’s just like if you leave a damp towel in a zipped up duffel bag long enough…you will get hit with a whiff of funk when you finally zip the bag open.

If you don’t get the AC funk, then you are lucky enough that there’s enough air circulation where you park to evaporate any excess condensate or moisture.

And if you have a regular gas/petrol/diesel model…you can activate the ventilation feature when you shut down and the engine won’t start (see post #23 above). The HVAC blower will continue to blow then shut off after a predetermined time…helping to evaporate any excess moisture or condensate. If you have a PHEV, then it sounds like the engine starts anytime you try to do any ventilation features…so it can’t be used in this way.

FYI…every BMW I’ve owned since my 1991 e32 735iL (can’t remember if my 1985 e30 325e had this feature)…the OBC has had this parked car ventilation feature…and when I discovered how to use it…I’ve never had an AC funk issue.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The AC funk comes from conditions that are ripe for the growth of bacteria and mold. It’s just like if you leave a damp towel in a zipped up duffel bag long enough…you will get hit with a whiff of funk when you finally zip the bag open.
Right, I get that, I mean I know what causes the funky smell I just don't fully understand why I never get it. I don't do anything special, I drive in the garage, turn off the car, get out and don't see it again till the next time I drive it. I have never used the preconditioning or ventilation after I park it. Garage is not heated or cooled. Been this way for all my cars. Maybe it's just that I happen to change out the cabin filters before they get a chance to funk up. Well, when something is working for you, you don't screw with it
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 10:19 PM   #35
Mixelplux
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

If you don’t get the AC funk, then you are lucky enough that there’s enough air circulation where you park to evaporate any excess condensate or moisture.

And if you have a regular gas/petrol/diesel model…you can activate the ventilation feature when you shut down and the engine won’t start (see post #23 above). The HVAC blower will continue to blow then shut off after a predetermined time…helping to evaporate any excess moisture or condensate. If you have a PHEV, then it sounds like the engine starts anytime you try to do any ventilation features…so it can’t be used in this way.

FYI…every BMW I’ve owned since my 1991 e32 735iL (can’t remember if my 1985 e30 325e had this feature)…the OBC has had this parked car ventilation feature…and when I discovered how to use it…I’ve never had an AC funk issue.
I didn't move or park anywhere different for 3.5 years. Why does it surface now? I tried spraying foam cleaner in vents. Spraying lysol and ozium into fresh intake vent. It'll fix it for a day or 2 and come right back. Replaced cabin filter. Tried max heat thing. Leaving strictly fresh air...Nothing help

its only if its AC is off too. With AC on its fine, the smell will just happen first few minutes and go away with AC.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 10:20 PM   #36
Mixelplux
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You have probably already done this but did you change the cabin filter? My brother started getting the smell and changed his filter and has not had the problem return.
yep that and more
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 06:20 AM   #37
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixelplux View Post
yep that and more
you can attempt to clean the evaporator coils, but BMW uses a flexible spray hose that I can’t find to buy so I can do it myself, or you can let the dealership do it to the tune of around $500
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 11:55 AM   #38
clubrcr
Rep
Drives: 8 series, X5

After owning several BMWs and never having this problem, I have the problem now. It started with about 8k miles. I examined the cabin filter, cleaned them and sprayed them with Lysol. I put Lysol in the vent under the hood, and it still has the foul smell. I will try the heater and see what happens. However, I did find this https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml, hmmm
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubrcr View Post
After owning several BMWs and never having this problem, I have the problem now. It started with about 8k miles. I examined the cabin filter, cleaned them and sprayed them with Lysol. I put Lysol in the vent under the hood, and it still has the foul smell. I will try the heater and see what happens. However, I did find this https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...lawsuit.shtml, hmmm
how can we be included in that CAL?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 06:25 PM   #40
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
how can we be included in that CAL?
Go here and fill out the lawyers form --> https://www.ahdootwolfson.com/blog/b...investigation/
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4766.00
      06-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #41
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Mercedes lost a significant class action over the same issues a while ago. Our GLS used to do the same thing. The fix was basically to repeatedly clean out the drain, change filters and ozone the system when it happened. Seems to plague more humid climates.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 05:29 AM   #42
clubrcr
Rep
Drives: 8 series, X5

I have searched but can't find out how to clean out the drain. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 04:30 AM   #43
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I’ve had a similar smell and have done 2 things to resolve it. I also bought a used bmw that was fine with no smells until I took delivery and it sat overnight and smelled.

First product I used was chlorine dioxide. I got mine from auto obsessed because I’m in Canada but it’s available on Amazon. Leave the car in a shaded spot for 6 hours, overnight is good. It produces a clear vapor which is a respiratory irritant but it will kill all bacteria in the car. You then open windows and let it air out. You might have a bleach smell for a day or two. You can use precondition to circulate the air dur the process - a couple of hours in, just make sure fresh air/auto is off and a/c is off so car doesn’t start.

chlorine dioxide

The other thing I do is clean the a/c coil with this product. It needs to be put directly on the coils. Remove air filter cover and snake the hose to the coils and spray. Should be the same as the dealer. This will kill mold. The chlorine dioxide kills mold too but this is a direct contact. Do not spray down vents.

nexrzett Kalimantan clean

If this doesn’t work then I’ll scratch my my head in confusion.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
sk0331.50
      06-27-2023, 07:59 AM   #44
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Here is an access port for cleaning. There are a lot of coil cleaners available.
Hopefully one might be able to snake a small hose through the port, or make a tool, as nZtiZia said he could not find the BMW part.

https://www.bmwx5info.com/cleaning_evaporator-2377.html