BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2024, 06:51 AM   #23
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead25 View Post
I too am someone who gets very stressed in traffic and can’t stand being stuck behind someone who leaves a gap. I am hopeful that I’ll just be able to relax a bit and let the car do its thing and not get stressed or upset if people cut me off.

Just short of using it more and seeing how fast the sensors detect and brake .........that is one of the other reasons I'm not a fan. But I suppose it depends on once's local - and how drivers drivers in your area. Out here, most drivers are ruthless on truck drivers, and semis have limited braking distance.

Off topic but every day/time I'm on the road, guaranteed to come across an accident stalling up traffic either on the leg out or the leg back. And this thread just sort of brought up something I didn't consider - maybe semi-autonomous driving and driver awareness of both cars in the back, and forward has gone out the door. It's never like a fender bender....Always something crazy like overturned cars, or 3-4 cars , etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 07:19 AM   #24
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Just short of using it more and seeing how fast the sensors detect and brake .........that is one of the other reasons I'm not a fan. But I suppose it depends on once's local - and how drivers drivers in your area. Out here, most drivers are ruthless on truck drivers, and semis have limited braking distance.

Off topic but every day/time I'm on the road, guaranteed to come across an accident stalling up traffic either on the leg out or the leg back. And this thread just sort of brought up something I didn't consider - maybe semi-autonomous driving and driver awareness of both cars in the back, and forward has gone out the door. It's never like a fender bender....Always something crazy like overturned cars, or 3-4 cars , etc.
You need to move I wouldn't want to deal with what you do on a daily basis. All areas have accidents but the more densely populated areas, just by percentage alone, will have more and you're likely to be impacted by them.

Thing is, these semi autonomous or driver assisted cars are pretty dang good. Some people are pretty dang good drivers too but some aren't. Mix the two technologies together on the same roads, and trouble is bound to happen. It won't be till the far majority of vehicles on the road are the semi autonomous ones that things will start to normalize and it will be a new normal. People see a new car on the road, they figure the driver has their drivers assist features activated and therefore they take advantage of that, causing your car to hit the brakes, swerve, etc. I don't like it but I still find it better to use the features and simply be situationally aware and ready.

Driving on the interstate and you come up to two semi's, side by side blocking both lanes and the passing one is only doing 1mph more than the one in the right lane and we're starting to go up a hill. Traffic is building, bumper to bumper in the passing lane, tempers are flaring, someone comes along in the right lane, passing the long train of cars in the passing lane hoping and trying to butt in ahead of most the cars but the cars start closing the gap to prevent it, now they're traveling 55-60mph about eight feet from one another. You know the situation, it happens all the time and is very frustrating. No one is going anywhere so you might as well back off, leave the gap and enjoy the $80- 120K car you're riding in, sit back and relax and the time will go by faster and before you know it, you're passing that truck that was in the left lane. Everyone, everything share the same stretch of road, like it or not. You're only objective is to get yourself to your destination safely so you can get out and do it again tomorrow
Appreciate 1
SAS240.00
      05-10-2024, 08:38 AM   #25
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead25 View Post
I too am someone who gets very stressed in traffic and can’t stand being stuck behind someone who leaves a gap. I am hopeful that I’ll just be able to relax a bit and let the car do its thing and not get stressed or upset if people cut me off.

This is local specific on driver behavior....the gap is a problem as if the driver get's cut short....and you're behind a left lane loafer gapper....they freak out out and brake hard even though there may be plenty of room for the person that entered the gap.

One can predict that as you are aware or hopefully aware as a driver of the few cars in front of you reading the traffic flow...which of course. the assist is just a sensor reading a car infront.

In less congested freeways, I can see assist being good. Urban....eh, not so much, or at least for me.
Appreciate 0