BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #45
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Reminds me of the early days of the G80/82 and everyone bashing on the new grille.

🤷🏻‍♂️
The grille that looks like Hitler’s mustache? ( sorry couldn’t help myself)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:31 PM   #46
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
"Hitler's mustache", that is hillarious, hadn't heard that one. I'm a huge fan of the new M3/M4 and didn't care for the grills at first but have come to like the aggressive look. Bad ass rides for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:34 PM   #47
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Unfortunately what we may be seeing is the success of the X5 allowing BMW to cut corners and remove what should be common features, luxury, etc. from it. Hopefully it is not the case but we may have to see a sizable drop in sales volume before they change course. Given that it can be argued that other, often less expensive, luxury SUVs offered more luxury features and options maybe that will provide the impetus for BMW.
Agree. Maybe the downtrend has started?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Q3_2023_BMW_Group_US_Sales_Chart_.PDF (59.1 KB, 32 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:08 PM   #48
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
Agree. Maybe the downtrend has started?
Perhaps but of course given the economy, the sales numbers in the past few years, etc. it could be other factors. Then again, this was an LCI year and the sales are down for the X5. If you look at what happen to other models generally sales increase when a new generation or LCI is introduced.

What is interesting in regards to the sales is that in general the sales of passenger cars are up and SUVs are down. Are we starting to see a trend away from SUVs? Or is it that the competition has gotten better and is drawing customers away? It will be interesting to see if there is a trend for all brand over the next few years.
      12-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #49
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Agree with this. This is how I currently do it even on pre LCI. I like to be open minded but I have a hard time understanding why it’s such a big deal for some.
Funny but this was the first thing my mom noticed on her LCI X7.... she thought it was broken and I had to inform her that BMW decided to do some cost cutting. (she had a pre-lci X7 as her previous vehicle so was used to using this function).
Appreciate 1
Mattl08061009.50
      12-31-2023, 03:05 PM   #50
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Perhaps but of course given the economy, the sales numbers in the past few years, etc. it could be other factors. Then again, this was an LCI year and the sales are down for the X5. If you look at what happen to other models generally sales increase when a new generation or LCI is introduced.

What is interesting in regards to the sales is that in general the sales of passenger cars are up and SUVs are down. Are we starting to see a trend away from SUVs? Or is it that the competition has gotten better and is drawing customers away? It will be interesting to see if there is a trend for all brand over the next few years.
I suspect this year will be a historic low for SUV sales vs cars. There were a large number of "last time offered" cars this year that people were buying. M550i was a last time V8 for the 5. Charger, Challenger, Camaro were all last time buys, at a minimum with a V8. C-class was last time but without a 4 banger.

Unfortunately, clueless government bureaucrats have regulated people into SUVs over sedans. The irony is they were trying to improve fuel economy and instead pushed consumers into less efficient models.
Appreciate 2
cobramite1229.00
Mattl08061009.50
      12-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #51
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I suspect this year will be a historic low for SUV sales vs cars. There were a large number of "last time offered" cars this year that people were buying. M550i was a last time V8 for the 5. Charger, Challenger, Camaro were all last time buys, at a minimum with a V8. C-class was last time but without a 4 banger.

Unfortunately, clueless government bureaucrats have regulated people into SUVs over sedans. The irony is they were trying to improve fuel economy and instead pushed consumers into less efficient models.
As one who is now hooked on SUVs the only sedans I would consider would be of the hot rod variety like the CT5 V Blackwing w/ manual, M5, M3, etc. as I can't see any other reason to go back to 4 door cars.
SUVs are just plain great daily drivers. My M60i is showing 19.5 miles/gallon since new and that is 99% plus non highway which I see as outstanding for a vehicle of this weight and with the S68 power level.
Appreciate 1
Mattl08061009.50
      12-31-2023, 04:23 PM   #52
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
As one who is now hooked on SUVs the only sedans I would consider would be of the hot rod variety like the CT5 V Blackwing w/ manual, M5, M3, etc. as I can't see any other reason to go back to 4 door cars.
SUVs are just plain great daily drivers. My M60i is showing 19.5 miles/gallon since new and that is 99% plus non highway which I see as outstanding for a vehicle of this weight and with the S68 power level.
I don't disagree. CT5VBW and M5 are about the extent of my list too, maybe an M550i. I think I'd have an M340i over an X3 M40i. If I could find a manual Chevy SS, that'd be a consideration too. But yeah, there's not many good sedans left. And honestly if I'm gonna drive a sedan, it almost has to be a manual to be worth it.

This was the last year of the manual GTI as well. How VW has to come out with a Tiguan GTI or R is beyond me. Or whatever that sucks is that's below the Tiguan.
Appreciate 1
cobramite1229.00
      12-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #53
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't disagree. CT5VBW and M5 are about the extent of my list too, maybe an M550i. I think I'd have an M340i over an X3 M40i. If I could find a manual Chevy SS, that'd be a consideration too. But yeah, there's not many good sedans left. And honestly if I'm gonna drive a sedan, it almost has to be a manual to be worth it.

This was the last year of the manual GTI as well. How VW has to come out with a Tiguan GTI or R is beyond me. Or whatever that sucks is that's below the Tiguan.
You get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 04:35 PM   #54
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Funny but this was the first thing my mom noticed on her LCI X7.... she thought it was broken and I had to inform her that BMW decided to do some cost cutting. (she had a pre-lci X7 as her previous vehicle so was used to using this function).
Someone also posted on the safety concerns - I think it was TurtleBoy. TBH - that concern never really occurred to me but I can understand not wanting to unlock all doors as you approach if you are in a unsafe area often.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 06:43 PM   #55
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
"Hitler's mustache", that is hillarious, hadn't heard that one. I'm a huge fan of the new M3/M4 and didn't care for the grills at first but have come to like the aggressive look. Bad ass rides for sure.
I DESPISE the big grills on them. They look terrible, and totally ruin the vehicles for me. That's a big reason I'd have an M340i over an M3...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:05 PM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I DESPISE the big grills on them. They look terrible, and totally ruin the vehicles for me. That's a big reason I'd have an M340i over an M3...
It was interesting because I didn't care for them at all until I saw them in person. I actually liked them and think they looked pretty good. For the iX, I thought the grill wasn't bad and then my dealer invited me down to see if when they got their first one in. I thought is was not only ugly but very cheap looking. Then I got in to drive it and was totally turned off. The interior materials reminded me of something that should be in the Kia or Toyota not a BMW. I know some people are very happy with theirs but it is something I would never want.
WagonFan271.50
      12-31-2023, 07:12 PM   #57
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It was interesting because I didn't care for them at all until I saw them in person. I actually liked them and think they looked pretty good. For the iX, I thought the grill wasn't bad and then my dealer invited me down to see if when they got their first one in. I thought is was not only ugly but very cheap looking. Then I got in to drive it and was totally turned off. The interior materials reminded me of something that should be in the Kia or Toyota not a BMW. I know some people are very happy with theirs but it is something I would never want.
I think they look better on the iX than the M3/4. I didn't like them in pictures, then saw them in person and hated them. It actually turned me off the 3 entirely, I didn't know that the regular 3 had a normal, not hideous front end until after I bought my X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:35 PM   #58
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I agree with Turtle boy on this one. Initially did not like the M3/M4 grills until I saw them in person. Yeah, they look good and very aggressive.
I've driven an M4, wow. BMW did a fantastic job with these M offerings.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:54 PM   #59
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

True for rear door comfort access for me as well. I rode in a coworker’s 50e a few times by now, in general I like the interior and I like the improved Edrive motor. But lack of rear CA is not good. The unlock/lock with approach/leaving doesn’t work well for us in 45e. We have it disabled. Rear CA is what I use 100% of the time when with kids.
      12-31-2023, 08:32 PM   #60
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
You need to take a dose of your own medicine Dude.
Maybe you should just ignore the many positive comments about the LCI models on this forum as it is abundantly clear that this causes you distress. Ya don't like the new stuff then don't buy it, very simple.
There you go - being dismissive, assuming I don’t like the new stuff. I do like lots of it - if BMW addressed my safety concerns I’d be driving one now. Things I specifically like about the LCI:

Engine/Power train - great.
Looks - cool
Improvements to DAP - love to try them
X6 - probably the best looking car out of the X5-7 lineup
Delivery at the factory

I miss all of those, but I tweak settings too frequently while spending 8-12 hours in the car for days on end, to deal with the lack of switches, which have worked really well for the last half century or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:55 PM   #61
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
Historically, the more ugly the bmw is, the better it retains it value in future. I can see g80 will be come very desirable. 🤣
      01-01-2024, 08:10 AM   #62
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Do you mean like when he calls me "insecure" on multiple occaisions?
He seems like a decent guy who provides good info here just don't ever disagree with him but nothing to lose any sleep over.
I'll cut to the chase. He never comes across as an arrogant jerk.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:11 AM   #63
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
For the iX, I thought the grill wasn't bad and then my dealer invited me down to see if when they got their first one in. I thought is was not only ugly but very cheap looking. Then I got in to drive it and was totally turned off. The interior materials reminded me of something that should be in the Kia or Toyota not a BMW.
I was cross shopping as well Mercedes, Audi and Volvo. The iX would have not turned me over to BMW. Didn't care for the looks and the inside either. Probably the reason why half of the showroom was occupied by them. I probably could have test drove 10+ of them, but not a single 50e was available for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:00 AM   #64
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Looks like I’m in the Minority. This is my 3rd G05 (2024 M60i) and I am hyper critical of all details with vehicles, hence being in this forum for years.

The LCI , IMO looks feels and drives better than my M50i and 40i.

The updated tech is much better from clearer screens (including back up at night) snappier menus ,new HUD look, better parking and sensors, customizable drivers screen, better feeling seats, much faster engine, M mirrors, x5m (last year) grill, new colors (grays I like) and many more things.

Menus : totally fine- I touch my temp options (easily accessible on screen at all times) maybe every 3-4 weeks. I don’t fiddle. Once my comfort settings are set to temp etc, I’m good… for a long time. That being said , losing buttons is NOT a good thing, but not a deciding factor for my purchases at all.

Yep, I miss the auto stop start button, rear comfort doors, louder exhaust and few other things the LCI changed. But the overall driving experience and longevity in my stable that this LCI brings for me is better than my pre LCIs.

Now, if I didn’t upgrade or have the means, or I was not a new car every 3-4 years when it comes to cars for warranty and items that cost large sums of money as a vehicle passes 60k and beyond, I would see this a bit differently, I might be inclined to say “I don’t like the LCI, mine is just fine”, but after 5k miles , those are my thoughts. I LOVE this LCI. It brought back the excitement every time I open the door to get in.

Of course everyone has their own opinion and that is why life is grand.

Happy new year all!
LDT1620.50
chicagofan0019328.50
skiboy36.00
Kevo80143.50
      01-01-2024, 10:07 AM   #65
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
I had a loaner 2023 X5 this week. It's a nice vehicle, but the infotainment system and dash seem very dated compared to the '24. Even though it's a '23, the design started years before that.

Yes, the LCI has some minor annoyances, but it does feel more refined. Now, if I could just get the Check Engine Light on my 50e to stay off, it would be perfect <facepalm>.
The 24 looks like everything on the market. I mean Kia did that dash first! Even the Mustang now has that dash. Pre LCI at least has a bit more BMWish!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:17 AM   #66
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Wait, I thought you don’t care for mile/gallon 😉

However I agree for a V8 that is an impressive result. My 50e on the other hand has a combined 40.1 or ICE only 26.1 mpg and has >200lbs added weight. Outstanding as well.

It’s a half second slower 0-60 and it’s missing your engine roar.

In general I agree with your sentiments regarding LCI.

And the X6 looks sharp!
Appreciate 0