Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Ugh. So sorry you got snared up in it. Hopefully the supply issues don't mean a delay in fixing the thing
that is my biggest worry. my SA will not/cannot release my vehicle to me until it's fixed. My hope is that there are no issues with any of the battery modules when they go to test them (fingers crossed)
Oh man, that sucks! Did they give you an idea of when they would test your X5? And did they give you a loaner at least? I really hope all is good with your battery and they return the car to you promptly. What a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Oh man, that sucks! Did they give you an idea of when they would test your X5? And did they give you a loaner at least? I really hope all is good with your battery and they return the car to you promptly. What a PITA.
they provided a loaner when I dropped my car for service on the tailgates, so now I have it indefinitely since the recall trumps my tailgates issue (which is still gonna be fixed). they haven't tested the battery yet as my SA is still gathering info. from what I've read in old posts, it could be lack of testing equipment and procedural know-how that's gonna drag this thing out…
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 11:11 PM   #47
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
they provided a loaner when I dropped my car for service on the tailgates, so now I have it indefinitely since the recall trumps my tailgates issue (which is still gonna be fixed). they haven't tested the battery yet as my SA is still gathering info. from what I've read in old posts, it could be lack of testing equipment and procedural know-how that's gonna draw this thing out…
At least they gave you a loaner indefinitely: while no replacement for your X5, at least it reduces the huge inconvenience. I hope they can figure things out for you quickly and return your X5 with no battery issues and a fixed tailgate. Hang in there.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia5195.00
      10-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #48
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
thanks for clarifying not all 45e with 5UX VIN are affected; just certain ones built between Feb 2020 to Jan 2021
Aren't all 45e and in fact all X3s, X4s, X5s, X6s, and X7s have VINs starting with 5UX? According to the below website, the first 3 letters of a VIN are the World Manufacturer Index (WMI) which indicates the manufacturer (BMW), country of manufacture, and the vehicle type.

https://myfreevin.com/bmw-vin-decoder/

And according to https://www.youcanic.com/bmw-vin-decoder,

5 means country of origin is USA,
U means BMW was manufactured in the US,
and X is manufacturer division info (BMW VIN will typically have X or A)
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #49
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
Aren't all 45e and in fact all X3s, X4s, X5s, X6s, and X7s have VINs starting with 5UX?
learned something new, thanks! (don't forget X1 & X2, too.)

wonder why an old post would state there are 45e VIN that could begin with digits other than 5UX then? made me assume such. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #50
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

My VIN (45e) begins with WBATA61.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #51
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
wonder why an old post would state there are 45e VIN that could begin with digits other than 5UX then? made me assume such. . .
There are people on this forum from numerous countries around the world, so their VINs will be different. A recall in one country may or may not affect those in others.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #52
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
There are people on this forum from numerous countries around the world, so their VINs will be different. A recall in one country may or may not affect those in others.
i understand all VINs are different and unique, but the first three digits span uniformly across the same model. i don't think you understand what javapro is pointing out. specifically for the 45e, the digits '5UX' will be the first three digits in the VIN no matter what home country their 45e is located in because:
1) '5' - all 45e are assembled in the USA
2) 'U' - the BMW manufacturer is in the USA
3) 'X' - the Division is the 'X' series

so for the old poster to say "the recall only affects US 45e starting with '5UX'..." means there are other US 45e that start with different digits other than '5UX', but they don't because of the uniformity of the first three digits of VIN code.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #53
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
My VIN (45e) begins with WBATA61.
biterror, are you sure? Anyone else outside of the US has a non 5UX VIN for their X5? WB means originated and assembled in Germany which 45e is not unless BMW for some reason doesn't follow their VIN rules for the cars sold in Europe. I've read somewhere that they tried to assign WB VINs to all X5s sold in the US to stress that this was a German car, however they were not allowed to.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #54
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:

X1 and X2 are the only Xs produced in Germany. See here: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...bmw-made-.html
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #55
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i understand all VINs are different and unique, but the first three digits span uniformly across the same model. i don't think you understand what javapro is pointing out. specifically for the 45e, the digits '5UX' will be the first three digits in the VIN no matter what home country their 45e is located in because:
1) '5' - all 45e are assembled in the USA
2) 'U' - the BMW manufacturer is in the USA
3) 'X' - the Division is the 'X' series

so for the old poster to say "the recall only affects US 45e starting with '5UX'..." means there are other US 45e that start with different digits other than '5UX', but they don't because of the uniformity of the first three digits of VIN code.
From this old thread it may still be the case that X5s sold outside of the US have WBA VINs. Apparently, all X5s used to have VINs that started with WBA some time ago but US regulators made them change it to 5UX to indicate the true country of assembly.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/bmw...cture.5764433/

Last edited by javapro; 10-20-2021 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia5195.00
      10-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #56
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
Quote:
X1 and X2 are the only Xs produced in Germany.
this where I got my info from. maybe I should contact them to update their site info lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #57
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this where I got my info from. maybe I should contact them to update their site info lol
I am pretty sure that X1 and X2 are made in Germany as their VINs start with WBX even for the ones sold in the US.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread