BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2024, 10:07 AM   #903
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWobserver View Post
Is there a poll to see how many miles is the minimum or maximum before CEL comes on for those with the problems? Like clearly there are many 50e without trouble and it would be interesting to see the miles count of when CEL/issues first appear to know which ones might be OK?

Also, I actually do wonder if the chargers being used are causing the issue. I read earlier that some owners think BMW is trying to blame customers, but it’s possible these issues are caused by using problematic chargers and that’s why many don’t have the issue as well.

I’d sure love to know the real reason for the problems but at least if we can narrow down the highest miles until having the issue and which chargers people are using maybe we can find some common thread/expectation?

Thanks in advance!
The mileage varies. I think the lowest we have seen was 5 miles and the highest around 10k.

I think it is very safe to say that chargers are not the cause. Also keep in mind that there is more than one issue. We see CELs, high voltage errors and drivetrain errors.
      02-16-2024, 10:22 AM   #904
gsquare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW X5 50e

FWIW, I have a ChargePoint Home Flex. My dealer also uses ChargePoint units. My first issue, a Drivetrain Malfunction, did not show up until after 2000 miles. I seriously doubt that charging is the issue.

Last edited by gsquare; 02-16-2024 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:37 AM   #905
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Is there a poll to see how many miles is the minimum or maximum before CEL comes on for those with the problems? Like clearly there are many 50e without trouble and it would be interesting to see the miles count of when CEL/issues first appear to know which ones might be OK?

Also, I actually do wonder if the chargers being used are causing the issue. I read earlier that some owners think BMW is trying to blame customers, but it’s possible these issues are caused by using problematic chargers and that’s why many don’t have the issue as well.

I’d sure love to know the real reason for the problems but at least if we can narrow down the highest miles until having the issue and which chargers people are using maybe we can find some common thread/expectation?

Thanks in advance!
Many DOA. Shame on BMW.. are you observing on behalf of BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:01 PM   #906
Lakeforest
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
We have not gathered any data on buybacks but would guess that we have seen 10 - 20. The latest, hopefully fairly unbiased, data was that 47% of owners experienced an issue and 29% of owners took their's to a dealer at least once due to having an issue.
Thanks for the info. The % seems quite high.

I used L2 charger at home with the highest current set to 32A. Don't think charger is the issue as I have been using it on Tesla for many years.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:38 PM   #907
BMWobserver
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The mileage varies. I think the lowest we have seen was 5 miles and the highest around 10k.

I think it is very safe to say that chargers are not the cause. Also keep in mind that there is more than one issue. We see CELs, high voltage errors and drivetrain errors.
Thanks for your input and support, as always, TurtleBoy. You are appreciated!

Seems like once I make it past 10K miles, I *should* be safe? :: fingers crossed ::
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:52 PM   #908
neo29
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo29 View Post
I'm in similar boat today. Mid October build, bought in December.

1st CEL (Charging error, Charging interruption) -> Car was with dealer 3+ weeks to get the CCU replaced (took 3 weeks to arrive from Germany)

-- 1 week later --

2nd CEL --> This time after 5 days in the shop, dealership said after many tests by BMW, they've concluded it's a permanent CCU failure and will need replacement again!

I live in CA and by 30 days for a brand new car to be in service, believe it's considered lemon.

Any suggestions on what are options to negotiate with BMW/dealer? I really loved the way X5 50e drove though and not willing to go for a 40i at this point. At the same time, looking at the number of wide-spread CEL issues in 50e in this forum, I'm highly skeptical if BMW can give me a new 50e without the issues happening again. Does anyone have any information if BMW has changed something in their manufacturing to make sure they have a solid fix for this issue?

Any opinion on the iX? I'm driving a loaner for few days now, it's been great so far. But would like to hear opinions from a owner.
Update:

The vehicle has been at the dealership for over two weeks now, awaiting a second CCU replacement, without a clear delivery date for the new part. This means, including the first repair session, the car has spent over 40 days at the dealership out of the 65 days since I purchased it.

Last week, I initiated a case with BMW NA, and it took them a week to appoint a case manager to me. I managed to have a conversation with them today, during which I explained that under California law, my car qualifies as a lemon, and I'm seeking a solution, such as a replacement vehicle or a complete refund. The case officer informed me that it would take some time for the executive team to assess the situation due to the complex nature of vehicle replacement or buyback procedures, leaving me without a clear timeframe for resolution.

My questions:

1) Does my situation not clearly fall under the lemon law criteria? For those who have successfully received a lemon law buyback or refund, how long did it take to resolve your case?
2) Should I consider hiring a lemon law attorney, or continue to work directly with BMW NA for a resolution? Which option is likely to be more advantageous?
3) I've noticed a lack of xDrive50e models at several dealerships in Northern California. Has there been a production halt or a potential stop sale on this model by BMW?
4) If BMW issues a recall for the CCUs, does the California lemon law still apply to my case?

I am grateful for all the insights and experiences shared by forum members. Your support has been incredibly valuable. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska161.50
      02-16-2024, 01:11 PM   #909
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

1. It appears that you have met the criteria for the lemon. From what we have seen it seems like it will be quicker to have BMW do a buyback versus going through the Lemon Law process which could take 6 - 8 months in some situations. I think BMW would rather do a buyback than go through the Lemon Law process so it may help to let them know that you are considering hiring an attorney to pursue a Lemon Law case.

2. As mentioned above it likely would be quicker if you go directly through BMW. I would keep pressing them and if they aren't moving quick enough then contact an attorney and see what they say.

3. There have been supply chain issues so the production of the 50e has been severely limited.

4. My guess is that it is unlikely they will recall the CCU's but even if they do it shouldn't affect your situation.

Good luck and thanks for keeping us informed.
      02-16-2024, 01:12 PM   #910
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input and support, as always, TurtleBoy. You are appreciated!

Seems like once I make it past 10K miles, I *should* be safe? :: fingers crossed ::
You're welcome and thanks for saying that. Not sure there is enough data to conclude that but let's hope that is the case.
      02-17-2024, 10:39 AM   #911
jberglaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo29 View Post
Update:

The vehicle has been at the dealership for over two weeks now, awaiting a second CCU replacement, without a clear delivery date for the new part. This means, including the first repair session, the car has spent over 40 days at the dealership out of the 65 days since I purchased it.

Last week, I initiated a case with BMW NA, and it took them a week to appoint a case manager to me. I managed to have a conversation with them today, during which I explained that under California law, my car qualifies as a lemon, and I'm seeking a solution, such as a replacement vehicle or a complete refund. The case officer informed me that it would take some time for the executive team to assess the situation due to the complex nature of vehicle replacement or buyback procedures, leaving me without a clear timeframe for resolution.

My questions:

1) Does my situation not clearly fall under the lemon law criteria? For those who have successfully received a lemon law buyback or refund, how long did it take to resolve your case?
2) Should I consider hiring a lemon law attorney, or continue to work directly with BMW NA for a resolution? Which option is likely to be more advantageous?
3) I've noticed a lack of xDrive50e models at several dealerships in Northern California. Has there been a production halt or a potential stop sale on this model by BMW?
4) If BMW issues a recall for the CCUs, does the California lemon law still apply to my case?

I am grateful for all the insights and experiences shared by forum members. Your support has been incredibly valuable. Thank you!
Similar situation and question here. My 50e has not been driveable or fully functional since 12/23/23 (at that time, only 3 weeks old). After 5 weeks in service for diagnosis and eventual CCU replacement, it was discharged with a sagging rear end caused by a broken strut (supposedly driveable while waiting for replacement parts from Germany).

While waiting for the strut - it needed to return for service to diagnose new high voltage and drivetrain error warnings. Discharged from service 2 days later (after a software update but no “real” cure) and the rear control arm split in two - 500 yards from the leader’s lot.

After 45 seconds of freedom, it’s now back in service for an undetermined period.

Kudos to the dealership - they have been extremely accommodating. BMW has also picked up 2 months of lease payments.

I love the vehicle when it functions, but this must end at some point. Even if repaired without further problems, I have doubts about longevity and resale value. I’m really not in the mood to buy a replacement off the lot (this was a special order) and I’m not hugely interested in other vehicles.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #912
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberglaw View Post
Similar situation and question here. My 50e has not been driveable or fully functional since 12/23/23 (at that time, only 3 weeks old). After 5 weeks in service for diagnosis and eventual CCU replacement, it was discharged with a sagging rear end caused by a broken strut (supposedly driveable while waiting for replacement parts from Germany).

While waiting for the strut - it needed to return for service to diagnose new high voltage and drivetrain error warnings. Discharged from service 2 days later (after a software update but no “real” cure) and the rear control arm split in two - 500 yards from the leader’s lot.

After 45 seconds of freedom, it’s now back in service for an undetermined period.

Kudos to the dealership - they have been extremely accommodating. BMW has also picked up 2 months of lease payments.

I love the vehicle when it functions, but this must end at some point. Even if repaired without further problems, I have doubts about longevity and resale value. I’m really not in the mood to buy a replacement off the lot (this was a special order) and I’m not hugely interested in other vehicles.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Buyback if it was me. BMW doesn't know how to fix these yet and frankly shouldn't even keep building them.
Appreciate 2
RNorb246.50
Condorll219.50
      02-17-2024, 11:34 AM   #913
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Buyback if it was me. BMW doesn't know how to fix these yet and frankly shouldn't even keep building them.
It's beyond me how many have issues with the 2024 X5, rediculous. I have to assume many of the recalled or exchanged parts are the same parts used on the 2023 or are they all of a new design specifically for 2024? I have a '23 X5 ordered and bought new a year ago and now have 12,000 miles and it has been flawless. Honestly feel sorry for you guys, it sucks to pay the high price tag and have these issues. It could have been me too as I debated last January between ordering the '23 or waiting a month to order a '24.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:12 PM   #914
Lakeforest
Rep

Dealer called me and informed that they ordered a SME. Based on the messages on this board, I don't have confidence this will fix it. It looks like BMW still doesn't have a clear idea for all the 50e drive train issues after the problem surfaced mid 2023. Unbelievable....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:49 PM   #915
gsquare
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeforest View Post
Dealer called me and informed that they ordered a SME. Based on the messages on this board, I don't have confidence this will fix it. It looks like BMW still doesn't have a clear idea for all the 50e drive train issues after the problem surfaced mid 2023. Unbelievable....
No further errors for me since SME and wire harnesses replacement six days ago. It’s going to take another month or more to feel comfortable, but they may have gotten it this time.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 04:09 PM   #916
Lakeforest
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquare View Post
No further errors for me since SME and wire harnesses replacement six days ago. It’s going to take another month or more to feel comfortable, but they may have gotten it this time.
Thanks for the information. I certainly hope they found the root cause now.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:48 PM   #917
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
My CELs and Drivetrain warnings always came with 3-4 weeks in between. I had my SME (BME) replaced twice with the exact same part, with the issue returning weeks later. I am still not comfortable that these issues are resolved.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2024, 06:47 PM   #918
Lakeforest
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
My CELs and Drivetrain warnings always came with 3-4 weeks in between. I had my SME (BME) replaced twice with the exact same part, with the issue returning weeks later. I am still not comfortable that these issues are resolved.
It seems like BMW just tells dealer to do something without any concrete root cause identified. It seems to me that I am on the path to buy back ...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:14 PM   #919
gsquare
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Assuming that there is no updated SME, was the part number
61-27-8-867-248?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:49 PM   #920
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

When I was down at my dealer last week I spent a good amount of time talking to the shop foreman, who is outstanding in his knowledge of al things BMW, about the various issues people are having and the ability or inability to solve them.

One of the big problems he sees is the parts that they are receiving. He said sometimes he will order a part and the one he receives will be an old revision or not the one that is supposed to fix the problem. That of course causes recurring issues if people don't catch that and the part is installed.

Another item he mentioned was that in general, vehicles running 8/8.5 are having issues that they haven't seen in previous versions. He said there was a big technological leap in various areas and it is just taking time for them to work through them. He said the last time BMW made such a leap, unfortunately I forget the series he mentioned, it took a year or so to get things ironed out.

He did say that BMW is constantly requesting feedback from him in regards to the problems he is seeing, what is working as a solution and what is not. Hopefully with that solutions can be found.
      02-20-2024, 10:25 PM   #921
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

There was a time I'd visit a friend who was the service manager at a BMW dealership and he would explain which BMWs to avoid. It was always first year vehicles and usually something electrical/software related. He it took some models a couple of years to get "right".

Sadly he retired. The head scratcher on the 2024 X5 is it is a LCI. For some reason, BMW decided to make major changes and muddle things up. The 45e was reliable, iDrive 7 worked great, buttons were nice, and the sport package looked better.

Glad we have a 2024 X3 (with our X5). They will really muddle up the G45 X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:50 PM   #922
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Assuming that there is no updated SME, was the part number
61-27-8-867-248?
Yep, that's the part # they've installed (twice now).
Appreciate 2
eluded3071.50
gsquare80.50
      02-21-2024, 06:35 AM   #923
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that's the part # they've installed (twice now).
Keep in mind that just because it is the same part number it doesn't mean it is the same exact part, there is also a revision number to consider.
gsquare80.50
      02-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #924
ItsMeHi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 50e

Exclamation Same Story…

Ordered X5 50e in late August 2024.

Week 42 build with DAP

Picked up from dealer on October 27. Exactly one week later, CEL. Took in to the dealer and they did a software update and all was well.

Quirky things here and there - the wireless charger is absolutely unusable as a charger (but might make an awesome grilled cheese or fried egg it’s so hot), even when trying to charge a phone that is not running any apps or an AirPods case; center console screen goes blank and needs to reboot sometimes; etc. All stuff I can live with because I otherwise really love the car.

Just over 5000 miles on the vehicle. 3 weeks ago, while on a highway road trip in mild weather (no rain, snow, extreme cold or heat), the cruise control and assisted driving stopped working. Error messages lightning up about restricted/limited use.

Service is trying everything. Replaced multiple physical parts, called in BMW engineering to reprogram the car, etc. No idea what is happening now. The service group has been sincerely apologetic every time I talk with them, and it seems to me they really don’t have any ideas left. They’re waiting on BMW engineering to help out.

No loaner the first week. At the 10 day mark, they called and got me in an x3. It’s fine. Not the heavily optioned x5 I paid for, but it’s operable.

I have lost confidence in the reliability of the 50e at this point. It’s awesome and I love it (when it’s working correctly), but I won’t ever be able to look at what I spent on it and feel good about the purchase.
Appreciate 0