09-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #177
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguyred View Post
I'm sure many will think I am crazy, but cross shopping 2020 Telluride vs 2019 X5. Any thoughts?

Back to the question. Just looking at the specs,

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=401867069

- The only model in the X5 range that Telluride can possibly compete with is the 40i.

- The Telluride has more legroom

- X5 has more clearance, more power and weighs 400lbs more. I am assuming the weight difference is due to the X5 having more steel, insulation etc, since the Telluride has a bigger engine and overall size (slightly)

- The in-line 6, ZF transmission and BMW suspension on the G05 X5 is IMHO, just in itself worth at least an extra $15K over the Kia.

- IMHO, the interior quality of the Telluride is like a Toyota Highlander, so even with Sensatec, the X5 interior looks nicer compared to the leather in the Telluride.

I haven't driven a Telluride, but I have sat in the Telluride, The Genesis GV 80 and of course driven and sat in the X5 - both M50i and 40i. The interior of the X5 is much nicer from a design and fit and finish perspective, even if it has less space. And I can't imaging Kia having the driving dynamics of the X5. Even as a passenger, the Kia engine is much more whiny and there is more interior noise for sure.

JMHO, the Kia Telluride is a great buy if you need 3 rows and a nice looking exterior. I agree, the exterior looks much nicer than a Highlander. Although, the new Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX60 might be as good if not better alternatives to the Telluride - inside and out.

The Telluride is not in the same class as an X5. It's like cross shopping a Honda Civic Type R with an M3. Most people won't be cross shopping…but you'll see YouTube comparisons.

Both the Telluride and X5 are very popular. Although the M50i, or 45e IMHO, is where the X5 has no competition at all in terms of overall value. My 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #178
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
- The only model in the X5 range that Telluride can possibly compete with is the 40i.
- The Telluride has more legroom
- X5 has more clearance, more power
- The in-line 6, ZF transmission and BMW suspension
- IMHO, the interior quality of the Telluride is like a Toyota Highlander,

The Telluride is not in the same class as an X5.
Welp, as someone who's been driving a Highlander on some long coastal trips over the last few months I can say the Highlander is an excellent road trip vehicle!

Probably the greatest asset of the highlander is how anonymous it is - it's mostly inconspicuous in just about every setting, even a downtown industrial area. You can pull in to any small town, or any gas station along the way, and be completely inert.

The problem with the Kia is, as you say, it's got the interior of the Highlander, but the exterior has the pretensions of an X5 ... and that's kind of its largest problem for anyone considering an X5 or similar.

For the person that's looking for a gussied up Highlander it's a fantastic vehicle & value; for the buyer looking at a cheaper entry point for an X5 ...

Well, a Telluride is just not an X5 so that buyer is going to be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #179
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Price can be compared, value cannot because each person values different things.

Both the X5 and the Telluride are very nice looking and quiet vehicles.

The Telluride is larger, seats 6 adults comfortably and costs less money in price, maintenance and repairs.

The X5 is smaller and costs more money in price, maintenance, and repairs.

Yeah, that about sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #180
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

....- The only model in the X5 range that Telluride can possibly compete with is the 40i.....

- X5 has more clearance, more power and weighs 400lbs more. I am assuming the weight difference is due to the X5 having more steel, insulation etc, since the Telluride has a bigger engine and overall size (slightly)...

The Telluride is larger than an X5 but weighs in the same range as an X3!

Telluride Curb Weight: 4,112 to 4,354 lbs
X3 Curb Weight: 4,079 to 4,392 lbs
X5 Curb Weight: 4,828 to 5,260 lbs

There must be some skimping somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #181
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

....- The only model in the X5 range that Telluride can possibly compete with is the 40i.....

- X5 has more clearance, more power and weighs 400lbs more. I am assuming the weight difference is due to the X5 having more steel, insulation etc, since the Telluride has a bigger engine and overall size (slightly)...

I doubt the Telluride is made of Carbon Fiber or titanium to reduce weight. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #182
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You mean skimping everywhere. 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #183
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

The Kia Telluride looks nice, its cheap, it has a third-row seat and holds a lot of people, and its got come cool features for its price. If I were in the market for such a vehicle, I'd definitely consider it. But, when I was cross-shopping for my wife's X5, the Telluride would have not come up on my radar screen. To me, it directly compares to the X5 only in that it has four wheels, an engine, and transports people and cargo.

In reading the comments on this thread and Googling specs, I was pretty surprised to learn that the Telluride is 700 or so pounds lighter than the X5 even though it's physically bigger. The Telluride has a transversely mounted, naturally aspirated V6. Its simply a completely different vehicle from an engineering and weight perspective. Not bad necessarily, just not in the same class at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #184
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The Telluride, and similar Korean vehicles, are for those in the domestic car price level and want to jump to a luxury option at a budget price. The Telluride definitely delivers in that situation. But it's not a direct competitor to the luxury brands....yet. Each year they inch closer.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7273.50
      09-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #185
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

^Bingo. I relate it to people who purchase replica/fake watches. If you never owned a real one and see a fake you think it's a great value for the price but if you have or had one then pick up a replica you immediately notice the difference despite having a similar look at first. Same with those types of vehicles. If you had a Chevy Cavalier or Ford Taurus then jump into a Telluride or a Genesis product you say that this is a luxury vehicle at a great price and value. If you have owned several Tier1 Luxury vehicles and then sit in these you immediately see why they are priced the way they are. They are great for what they are but they are not in direct competition with every "luxury" or high line vehicle on the road.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18207.50
john1200c238.50
      09-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #186
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
^Bingo. I relate it to people who purchase replica/fake watches. If you never owned a real one and see a fake you think it's a great value for the price but if you have or had one then pick up a replica you immediately notice the difference despite having a similar look at first. Same with those types of vehicles. If you had a Chevy Cavalier or Ford Taurus then jump into a Telluride or a Genesis product you say that this is a luxury vehicle at a great price and value. If you have owned several Tier1 Luxury vehicles and then sit in these you immediately see why they are priced the way they are. They are great for what they are but they are not in direct competition with every "luxury" or high line vehicle on the road.
I think your point is almost spot on. But a Telluride owner may not be a poseur like some fake watch owners. Unless, of course, that Telluride owner slaps a BMW badge on it.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18207.50
iconoclast7273.50
      09-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #187
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Kia Sportage M Sport edition

Quote:
Quote:
I think your point is almost spot on. But a Telluride owner may not be a poseur like some fake watch owners. Unless, of course, that Telluride owner slaps a BMW badge on it.
Safe to say no BMW owner will slap a Kia badge on their car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sygazelle11529.00
      09-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #188
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
The Telluride, and similar Korean vehicles, are for those in the domestic car price level and want to jump to a luxury option at a budget price. The Telluride definitely delivers in that situation. But it's not a direct competitor to the luxury brands....yet. Each year they inch closer.
The wrapping paper may be inching closer, but the present inside will always be better for the luxury brands as they continue to innovate. BMW, Mercedes and others are not sitting still either. The ball moves forward. If Kia chose to compete heads up, they'd have to have a different mindset and a price point that is not 1/2 that of their luxury counterparts in order to fund the engineering, design, materials, etc. that sets the luxury brands apart.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18207.50
      09-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #189
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

LEt's face it...not everyone's budget can support a luxury vehicle, but everyone is likely to want something other than the least common denominator...as a result, there are choices. FWIW, in the USA, MB, BMW, Audi, etc. are considered luxury vehicles, with fairly big, powerful engines, and lots of (mandatory) features. In reality, in Germany, you can buy those stripped down, with small engines, cloth or vinyl upholstery, and minimal options at a much lower price than the entry level vehicle sold in the USA for the brand. Those are still decent vehicles, but not what many would consider luxury vehicles...

Perception is one thing...engineering does cost, volume allows those costs to be spread over multiple models within the brand, so having more volume helps, too, and helps elevate the whole brand as a result from lessons learned.

What one 'needs' versus what one 'wants' can be a difference in experience, but it also impacts what one can afford. Not everyone can afford a luxury vehicle, and at least in the USA, the likes of BMW, MB, Audi, etc., won't bring in their stripped models for fear of diluting their 'luxury' image they've nurtured for so long. One reason why there are smaller vehicles often sold outside of the USA is that the roads, parking, etc., make it hard to utilize a larger vehicle, plus, what are the costs to support it. Most local taxes make larger, less efficient vehicles much more expensive, also driving people into smaller vehicles.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18207.50
stein_325i25180.00
      09-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #190
mopaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 BMW 330c1 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
LEt's face it...not everyone's budget can support a luxury vehicle, but everyone is likely to want something other than the least common denominator...as a result, there are choices. FWIW, in the USA, MB, BMW, Audi, etc. are considered luxury vehicles, with fairly big, powerful engines, and lots of (mandatory) features. In reality, in Germany, you can buy those stripped down, with small engines, cloth or vinyl upholstery, and minimal options at a much lower price than the entry level vehicle sold in the USA for the brand. Those are still decent vehicles, but not what many would consider luxury vehicles...

Perception is one thing...engineering does cost, volume allows those costs to be spread over multiple models within the brand, so having more volume helps, too, and helps elevate the whole brand as a result from lessons learned.

What one 'needs' versus what one 'wants' can be a difference in experience, but it also impacts what one can afford. Not everyone can afford a luxury vehicle, and at least in the USA, the likes of BMW, MB, Audi, etc., won't bring in their stripped models for fear of diluting their 'luxury' image they've nurtured for so long. One reason why there are smaller vehicles often sold outside of the USA is that the roads, parking, etc., make it hard to utilize a larger vehicle, plus, what are the costs to support it. Most local taxes make larger, less efficient vehicles much more expensive, also driving people into smaller vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

Very nice analysis. The question of value or worth is individual and relative to one's priorities…..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #191
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^Bingo. I relate it to people who purchase replica/fake watches. If you never owned a real one and see a fake you think it's a great value for the price but if you have or had one then pick up a replica you immediately notice the difference despite having a similar look at first.... They are great for what they are but they are not in direct competition with every "luxury" or high line vehicle on the road.
Quote:
Ha, both of you are almost spot on IMO:

I do know more than a few luxe watch owners who are MORE than happy with their fake Rolexes - in fact they think people paying MSRP (or the realistic MSRPx3 price ) for a Rolex are morons. I've also seen those same people show their fakes to people with real Rolexes and the owners can't even identify their own watch!

The points being:

(1.) Sometimes fakes are so close to real in look/feel they're effectively* identical

(2) Many people legit don't care if theirs is fake - and there are many others who don't even care everyone knows its fake. Close enough is just fine for them.

Now obviously nobody is going to mistake a Kia for a BMW, but then the Kia is not trying to be a fake BMW, it's trying to be a real luxury Kia SUV for a lower entry price ... and there are plenty of people for whom not only is a luxe Kia good enough, it's the smartest play! For them paying more for a BMW is for morons!

*despite all the great fakes out there, it's usually the edge cases where the differences show up: a Kia may look & feel enough like a premium SUV but what happens in edge-case driving scenarios? BMW probably wins there:
Quote:
The wrapping paper may be inching closer, but the present inside will always be better for the luxury brands
Appreciate 3
Stoshu500.50
sygazelle11529.00
      09-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #192
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

I wouldn't call Kia a fake watch/ride - it does what it claims to - i don't think it says - compare me to X5 or a GLE. However, a warning to the snooty german loving crowd here (I used to be like that also) that japanese came and booted american dominance in autos, the koreans are doing the same - when everything goes electric - the company who may dominate the market in 15 years may not even be born yet.
Let's face it BMW and MB don't do everything superspecial - look at maintenance costs - i have had 2 MBs and 2 BMWs - they are heavy on the wallet. Let's not pretend to be "volvo owners" (not to be a flame thrower) and pretend Volvos are the best gift to human kind.
Frankly the lexus Genesis offer a lot as base in luxury trm where the germans have figured out that americans can be nickled and dimes (some one commented about stripped down models of same cars in europe - like A Class).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #193
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
I wouldn't call Kia a fake watch/ride - it does what it claims to - i don't think it says - compare me to X5 or a GLE. However, a warning to the snooty german loving crowd here (I used to be like that also) that japanese came and booted american dominance in autos, the koreans are doing the same - when everything goes electric - the company who may dominate the market in 15 years may not even be born yet.
Let's face it BMW and MB don't do everything superspecial - look at maintenance costs - i have had 2 MBs and 2 BMWs - they are heavy on the wallet. Let's not pretend to be "volvo owners" (not to be a flame thrower) and pretend Volvos are the best gift to human kind.
Frankly the lexus Genesis offer a lot as base in luxury trm where the germans have figured out that americans can be nickled and dimes (some one commented about stripped down models of same cars in europe - like A Class).
Why does having a preference make you a “snotty German lover”?
Btw the top 3 selling vehicles in the US right now are American pickup trucks so a fact check may be best before posting fallacies.

I give all vehicles a chance no matter who manufactures it and think there are many like me who are just as open minded.

Btw I owned a Volvo and never thought I or it was better than anyone else. You must have Volvo and Tesla owners mixed up.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #194
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wouldn't call Kia a fake watch/ride - it does what it claims to - i don't think it says - compare me to X5
If we're being strict with the watch analogy, it's more like a Rolex homage watch: not a fake, but meant to be nearly identical in look & feel with the purpose being to get the look without the cost; That's what Kia is going for.

So in that sense, of course you can compare it to X5, and Kia would like nothing more, and BMW/MB/Audi/Porsche should be flattered (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all)

With that, maybe a better comparison would be Genesis to X5
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #195
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I give all vehicles a chance no matter who manufactures it and think there are many like me who are just as open minded.
"Open Minded"? Okay, sure. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...54&postcount=8

Perhaps you have multiple personalities that none of us are aware of? I see that you've since deleted your comments in the above thread. Maybe you were drunk and now you've sobered up and are getting back to us after you've sobered up.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #196
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
I wouldn't call Kia a fake watch/ride - it does what it claims to -
As does a Sinn or Tudor watch however they clearly "borrow" from the others and sell an idea of being similar for a better value.

I think this thread and the like have run their course for me and it is time to bow out.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #197
11001X101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
If we're being strict with the watch analogy, it's more like a Rolex homage watch: not a fake, but meant to be nearly identical in look & feel with the purpose being to get the look without the cost; That's what Kia is going for.

So in that sense, of course you can compare it to X5, and Kia would like nothing more, and BMW/MB/Audi/Porsche should be flattered (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all)

With that, maybe a better comparison would be Genesis to X5
Those watches got me all the times, especially when the dude has long sleeves I too think Genesis may be a better choice for comparison. Not quite but has a lot to concern the German. I saw a white gv70 and it got my attention. And did someone say Lexus Genesis? It’s a Hyundai not Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #198
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
"Open Minded"? Okay, sure. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...54&postcount=8

Perhaps you have multiple personalities that none of us are aware of? I see that you've since deleted your comments in the above thread. Maybe you were drunk and now you've sobered up and are getting back to us after you've sobered up.
Open minded doesn’t mean I can’t call something ugly. Funny how you post my comment and not the full thread with referenced X7. Yeah I deleted my comments because the OP was all upset when I thought the thread was a joke. Instead of being a mitch about it I cleaned up my comments and moved on. I see you haven’t.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread