BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2022, 05:49 PM   #111
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Related note: I've noticed that when I click Synchronize in the AC settings, this sometimes resets the air conditioning setting to off without warning. Not sure if this is a iDrive bug or intended behavior, but this has bitten me a few times, as I've reset the AC after the kids mess with the backset controls, and forgotten to go into the sub-menu and also re-enable actual air conditioning.

This is one of the quirks of the X5 which I do not understand (never has a previous vehicle where the AC would turn itself off, much less without notice, much less when the system is still in Auto mode). It's easy enough to fix once you know what the issue is, but it sure is baffling the first few times.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:10 AM   #112
P0rsche991
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

A/C blowing warm air

I own a 2019 BMW X5 (G05) that is currently under a CPO warranty. 2 weeks ago I started having A/C issues on the passenger side of the Vehicle where it wasn't staying cool/ cold and blowing warmer air. After a week, I took it to the dealership and the service person said, he has seen issues where the A/C looses charge and needs to be recharged...probably should cost around $200. They text me and told me a A/C hose was leaking and it's going to cost $1500 to repair.
I promptly called BMW warranty department to discuss. The person I spoke with said, "Your X5 is under CPO warranty and this should be covered". However, the Dealership said that "Rubber Hoses" were NOT covered under CPO warranty and I would need to Pay for the Repairs. I ask to see the Manager of the Dealership...he reviewed my case and said he would send in an appeal to BMW. Note: the Part in Question # 64539493987 a A/C Suction Pipe, NOT a Rubber Hose! The Dealership Approved the Appeal and Installed the Part and Called me to tell me that the NEW PART, after installing, was LEAKING worse than the OLD part they would need to Reorder the Part, again. Just curious, anyone having these issues with their X5?

The Dealership just Called and said they are going to have to order a NEW A/C compressor...X5 has now been in the shop over a week! Stay tune...
Attached Images

Last edited by P0rsche991; 05-21-2023 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Update:
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:31 AM   #113
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

I have also noticed that if the rear A/C is turned on, I don't feel like the A/C is cooling as well in the front. I avoid "Sync" and Max A/C because it will turn on the rear A/C.
      05-19-2023, 08:14 AM   #114
blinsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

The AC in this car (2024 X5) is a disappointment. I drove home yesterday, about 9 miles in mixed stop/go traffic. Ambient temperature was 90 degrees, inside temp was set to 72 degrees. It took about 23 minutes to get home and when I got home, it was still cooling down (indicated by the blue "shimmer" effect next to the readout) and the air coming out of the vents was cool but not cold.

I checked and I already have the secondary setting all the way to the blue side.

The auto stop/start kept kicking in and at some points the air coming out wasn't even really cooled. And I couldn't even feel the ventilated seats set on "Very High" aside from some vibrations in the seat.

Looks like the weather will be about the same today, so I'll try Max AC and see if it cools down quicker this time. I had rear climate turned off but that also disables Sync for the front, so not ideal, but whatever. Perhaps I'll have to get used to pre-conditioning the vehicle on hot days.

My previous vehicle (not a BMW) would have been cold in 5 minutes, and it had actual cooled seats.
Appreciate 1
sbc-yyc86.50
      05-20-2023, 02:22 PM   #115
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinsc View Post
The AC in this car (2024 X5) is a disappointment. I drove home yesterday, about 9 miles in mixed stop/go traffic. Ambient temperature was 90 degrees, inside temp was set to 72 degrees. It took about 23 minutes to get home and when I got home, it was still cooling down (indicated by the blue "shimmer" effect next to the readout) and the air coming out of the vents was cool but not cold.

I checked and I already have the secondary setting all the way to the blue side.

The auto stop/start kept kicking in and at some points the air coming out wasn't even really cooled. And I couldn't even feel the ventilated seats set on "Very High" aside from some vibrations in the seat.

Looks like the weather will be about the same today, so I'll try Max AC and see if it cools down quicker this time. I had rear climate turned off but that also disables Sync for the front, so not ideal, but whatever. Perhaps I'll have to get used to pre-conditioning the vehicle on hot days.

My previous vehicle (not a BMW) would have been cold in 5 minutes, and it had actual cooled seats.
The only time I have a cooling issue is if that worthless ASS is engaged. That disaster of an engineering failure causes nothing but grief for most people. As long as ASS is not engaged I rarely have cooling issues. I coded ASS off in my 2020 X7.
Appreciate 1
blinsc97.00
      05-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #116
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Had a 2023 X5 40i loaner for a day while my X7M50i was getting its routine oil change. The AC on a 76 degree day was abysmal in this particular X5. I know this system inside and out and actually pulled over to adjust driver/passenger air flow vent temp to max cold. Set it to 62 degrees, lots of fan noise and it took 20 minutes of highway driving to get moderately cool. I had a 2019 G05 X5 50i and the AC was fine. My X7 will freeze you out if I set the vents air flow to max cold in 5 minutes on a 90 degree day. I don’t know what BMW may have changed in 2023 or if the 6 cil ac is just that different??
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 10:17 PM   #117
altern8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e G05

this is my first summer with the 45e and can confirm, cooling is sub optimal. i set the blue slider all the way to the left and it takes twice as long to cool down. i have not try max cool yet but it looks like i will need to precondition to avoid having to sit in a warm car waiting for the temps to come down. i was reminded what "normal" feels like when i sat in my Q5 and felt a rush of artic air blasting out of the vents soon after engine start.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 07:44 AM   #118
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
See my thread here. I recently went trough similiar issue: click here
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 01:02 PM   #119
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Super cold outputs risks icing over the evaporator coil. FWIW, it wasn't super hot today (about 83F), but when directing the dash vents, after a short time, it became uncomfortable on mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 06:35 PM   #120
Bavar-ian
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Where i am, its on avgerage 35deg all year. Every month. No winters here. Just rain if any.
Have realised to not use "auto" mode.
Manually set at 25deg and its pretty cold on 1/3 fan speeds.
Appreciate 1
rexus300155.00
      07-09-2023, 07:07 PM   #121
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I do not use auto mode and set temps to 65-68 degrees with manual control of the vents and fan speed and the car is very cold especially with 90s temps here in Michigan. This is on my 2024 X5 50e. Using the auto mode weakens the fan and cooling as its distributing all that air everywhere including the dash vents near windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 07:26 PM   #122
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

If your car's HVAC is working properly and I realize that not all who post have a properly working HVAC, there should be no complaints as the BMW A/C system is powerful enough to cool down the hottest climates to a comfortable level. I was on a trip a few days ago in the GTA and it was very humid and 93F. I pressed the microphone button and told the car I was hot, within a few seconds it automatically lowered the A/C temp and turned on my seat ventilation. If I recall correctly, it set the temp to 70F, I think I was at 74ish, that worked great and after a while I manually set it to 72 as it was getting pretty dang cool. I normally have the vents aimed directly at me.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2023, 09:16 PM   #123
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Take every opportunity to precondition the cabin before you get in. Even if it can only run for a few minutes before you get in, it will be better, but ideally, you'd give it a bit more time when you have the opportunity. To do this, you must preserve some battery capacity on the PHEV.
Appreciate 1
realdah57.00
      07-09-2023, 11:20 PM   #124
Eric500
um...
Rep
Drives: LC500

hey all, I know I don't really have experience with this gen X5, but I was strongly considering the LCI until the lack of color options pushed me elsewhere.

I previously had a G30 and the AC was also not great. The ceramic window tint helped a lot, but still noticed the AC was meh.

I am now in a Lexus and also recently had a different model Lexus as a loaner. Let me tell you that the poor AC is a design issue for the BMW. Both Lexuses cool FAST. Also, what is weird to me is that at least in my G30, setting it to auto did not adjust fan speed, except on max ac just the temperature of the air
      07-10-2023, 07:53 AM   #125
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
I second that, I really appreciate being able to quickly set temperature of the air blowing directly (previously called stratified air) at me as opposed to changing the temperature of the entire zone.

By burying the controls in iDrive, my guess is that BMW maybe signaling the end of this beloved feature in redesigns
Those where the days ..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 08:33 AM   #126
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric500 View Post
hey all, I know I don't really have experience with this gen X5, but I was strongly considering the LCI until the lack of color options pushed me elsewhere.
You couldn't find a color among the ~60 colors available for the X5 plus the option to give BMW a color code?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #127
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
I second that, I really appreciate being able to quickly set temperature of the air blowing directly (previously called stratified air) at me as opposed to changing the temperature of the entire zone.

By burying the controls in iDrive, my guess is that BMW maybe signaling the end of this beloved feature in redesigns
Those where the days ..
stratified air is in the G05, and I believe it’s still in the LCI albeit buried inside the menu instead of that convenient dial
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:00 AM   #128
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Faster way to navigate to climate controls:

Press Menu / AC button in the center console control - climate row

iDrive control displays Climate Control > select Heating / ventilation

Optional step - With Heating / ventilation selected, select an empty programmable memory button and save.

Now it's button press away.
This should be added to the original post. Adjusting that all the way to the blue side makes a HUGE difference in the AC performance.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 07-10-2023 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
couchgate133.00
      07-10-2023, 09:27 AM   #129
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Take every opportunity to precondition the cabin before you get in. Even if it can only run for a few minutes before you get in, it will be better, but ideally, you'd give it a bit more time when you have the opportunity. To do this, you must preserve some battery capacity on the PHEV.

I found the remote pre-condition is pretty good for my LCI 40i, just a few minutes, it will cooldown the car before we get back to the car after shopping.

If forgot pre-conditioning, use the MAX is a remedy and remember to slam doors with all windows opening.

One interesting finding, I found that the grill shutter will open during the pre-conditioning. I guess it can allow air flow easier when parking. I doubt it will close when driving very fast.

While, I do miss that cabinet overheat protection settings in my tesla, but I understand why my BMW doesn't have it, in case of extreme hot and car is inside a closed garage, a pre-condition with engine on would possible impose Carbon monoxide risks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:32 AM   #130
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdah View Post
I found the remote pre-condition is pretty good for my LCI 40i, just a few minutes, it will cooldown the car before we get back to the car after shopping.

If forgot pre-conditioning, use the MAX is a remedy and remember to slam doors with all windows opening.

One interesting finding, I found that the grill shutter will open during the pre-conditioning. I guess it can allow air flow easier when parking. I doubt it will close when driving very fast.

While, I do miss that cabinet overheat protection settings in my tesla, but I understand why my BMW doesn't have it, in case of extreme hot and car is inside a closed garage, a pre-condition with engine on would possible impose Carbon monoxide risks.
since Remote Start to precondition the cabin ignites the combustion engine, the grille fins have to open to allow engine air intake as well as aid engine cooling.

yes, DO NOT Remote Start inside an enclosed space such as a garage!
Appreciate 1
realdah57.00
      07-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #131
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Preconditioning is where the PHEVs (well, EVs, too) shine...you can do it anywhere as long as you have some battery capacity left...it will never engage the ICE to precondition, so CO would never be an issue.

Note that even on Auto, you can change the fan speed...think of that adjustment more of an intensity feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #132
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Honestly, I have never needed to use the preconditioner function. Even when having the car sit out in the sun on a 90F day for hours, it only takes a few seconds for the A/C to blow cold. All I can think of is that something is defective in those cars whose owners complain or it's just a matter of settings. We know most owners don't read the manual and probably many don't dig through the menu tree and experiment but to me and my car, the A/C works very well. I hate high temps and humidity, which we now find more of in our NY summers so I'm of the opinion that many simply don't fully understand how to use the A/C in our overly complex menu ridden X5's.

Here is the pic Alan posted, the two I features I circled in yellow are your friends, especially the Temp Adj. If you are not getting really cold air from the upper vents, crank this all the way to the left and you will really see what cold air the X5 can produce. Even with it all the way to the left, you can still manage the temp coming out of the upper vents via the temp control (up/down) button that displays the set temp.

Take it off Auto and try/test it manually to get a feel for it, then you can go back to using Auto if you want, I normally leave it on manual.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2