BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC, 2021 X7M50i

HUD background and missing red numbers

Picked up a 2021 X5M in February. First BMW ever so I am not familiar with how the HUD is supposed to appear. But after driving a 2021 X7 I noticed my HUD definitely shows the HUD background screen image on the windshield much more. I have tried adjusting the lighting brightness in the iDrive Display settings for the HUD and making it brighter magnifies the intensity of the white background and dimming all the way does not remove it. I also tried adjusting the roller dial near the headlight switches and nothing removes the white background I also played with height, angle and also turned it off and on via the iDrive. Is this normal?

I then also noticed that despite having the speed warning enabled, when I go over the posted speed limit the box with the applicable speed limit blinks but the actual speed number stays white. I believe the G05 and G07 should both turn red/orange when the vehicle speed is exceeding the posted speed, right?

I was able to get some pics of what I see attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-prsev View Post
Picked up a 2021 X5M in February. First BMW ever so I am not familiar with how the HUD is supposed to appear. But after driving a 2021 X7 I noticed my HUD definitely shows the HUD background screen image on the windshield much more. I have tried adjusting the lighting brightness in the iDrive Display settings for the HUD and making it brighter magnifies the intensity of the white background and dimming all the way does not remove it. I also tried adjusting the roller dial near the headlight switches and nothing removes the white background I also played with height, angle and also turned it off and on via the iDrive. Is this normal?

I then also noticed that despite having the speed warning enabled, when I go over the posted speed limit the box with the applicable speed limit blinks but the actual speed number stays white. I believe the G05 and G07 should both turn red/orange when the vehicle speed is exceeding the posted speed, right?

I was able to get some pics of what I see attached.
You definitely shouldn't see the white background. And you are correct, I have the g06 and when you go over the limit it blinks orange. I'm attaching a picture for reference regarding the white background. As you can see, no background can be noticed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response and pic! The X5M is brand new so OEM windshield that matches SN I seen others post of which OEM windshield should be used for HUD, so I am wondering if it is a calibration issue. I also tried rebooting iDrive and turning HUD on and off several times. It also seems like the white background gets brighter as the car warms up and is less noticeable first thing in the morning after the car sat overnight.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Picked up a 2021 X5M in February.

It's been a month and when traveling over the posted speed limit, the numbers do not turn red. And yes, I have the "Warn when speeding" and the "Excess Speed Display" checked off under Speed Limit Assistance. The speedometer in the instrument cluster does turn to red when going over the speed limit. I called BMW Genius and though he tried, it still isn't working as designed. He mentioned that the dealer would probably need to redo the iDrive software.

My 2021 X5MC also lost the red numbers when going over the speed limit. I've also rebooted idrive and unchecked and rechecked the box for the red warning, but no cure.
It used to work fine until about the time the 90 day trial for the traffic camera app expired. With that expiration, the app disappeared and also removed the speed warning in red.

Obviously BMW has some updating to do since the red warning should still be turning red when over the speed limit.

Last edited by BobsM3Coupe; 04-12-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
My 2021 X5MC also lost the red numbers when going over the speed limit. I've also rebooted idrive and unchecked and rechecked the box for the red warning, but no cure.
It used to work fine until about the time the 90 day trial for the traffic camera app expired. With that expiration, the app disappeared and also removed the speed warning in red.
Thanks for sharing. I just checked the BMW Connected site and I have the Traffic Camera Information Trial until the end of April
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep

I think my HUD is defective as I confirmed today that the grey/white box background progressively gets brighter/darker more noticeable as the display warms up. First few minutes after initial start only numerical text is visible but after time the background becomes prominent. I also turned off the HUD for several minutes and restarted and same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
I think my HUD is defective as I confirmed today that the grey/white box background progressively gets brighter/darker more noticeable as the display warms up. First few minutes after initial start only numerical text is visible but after time the background becomes prominent. I also turned off the HUD for several minutes and restarted and same thing.
I agree, I haven't had issues like this with HUD, I drove it in cold weather, hot weather without issues. Hopefully straight forward fix process. We've seen some long wait times with iDrive replacement due to parts availability.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #8
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Can you adjust HUD brightness etc? Seems like it's overly bright, could be washing out the color? My X5 doesn't have HUD, so working off memory from the G30.
      03-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #9
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Can you adjust HUD brightness etc? Seems like it's overly bright, could be washing out the color? My X5 doesn't have HUD, so working off memory from the G30.
Yes, I adjusted HUD brightness every which way and combination with the dash dimmer adjacent to the headlight switch. I concluded that the HUD is defective as I can consistently reproduce the problem where the grey/white box background progressively gets darker as the HUD 'warms up'. So if off for a while the HUD will initially function without any white/grey background box but after about 5-10 min it starts to become visible and gets very noticeable on presenting an almost iridescent look.

I will raise with dealer during my 1200 mile visit.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Obviously BMW has some updating to do since the red warning should still be turning red when over the speed limit.

Update:

It's been a month and when traveling over the posted speed limit, the numbers still do not turn red. And yes, I have the "Warn when speeding" and the "Excess Speed Display" checked off under Speed Limit Assistance. The speedometer in the instrument cluster does turn to red when going over the speed limit. I called BMW Genius and though he tried, it still isn't working as designed. He mentioned that the dealer would probably need to redo the iDrive software.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 12:41 AM   #11
maher
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:

Update:

It's been a month and when traveling over the posted speed limit, the numbers still do not turn red. And yes, I have the "Warn when speeding" and the "Excess Speed Display" checked off under Speed Limit Assistance. The speedometer in the instrument cluster does turn to red when going over the speed limit. I called BMW Genius and though he tried, it still isn't working as designed. He mentioned that the dealer would probably need to redo the iDrive software.
By any chance, did you code "M sport" on your cluster? That tends to stop your speed indicator from turning orange when going over the limit.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher View Post
By any chance, did you code "M sport" on your cluster? That tends to stop your speed indicator from turning orange when going over the limit.
I have an X5M, so no I didn't code the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #13
wolfverine
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 40 MSprt; X6 40i; 640iGC

That is correct. I just realized that recently when I changed to Alpina cluster and the speed indicator now changes to orange when I'm over the speed limit. It didn't change color previously when I had the MSport or M cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #14
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep

Dealer just informed me that the white/grey box projecting from the HUD is normal operation. I tried to argue that my X7M50i does not do this and even asked if they could check another X5 on the lot. They said they need to compare to another 2021 X5M Competition as every vehicle is different, and of course they do not have any 2021 X5M Competitions on the lot to compare to.

So I am reaching out to the other 2021 X5M Competition owners here to see if anyone might be local to me here in Seattle or could take pics and confirm that they do not see a white/grey box projecting onto the windshield that gets brighter as the car/HUD warms up.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Dealer just informed me that the white/grey box projecting from the HUD is normal operation. I tried to argue that my X7M50i does not do this and even asked if they could check another X5 on the lot. They said they need to compare to another 2021 X5M Competition as every vehicle is different, and of course they do not have any 2021 X5M Competitions on the lot to compare to.

So I am reaching out to the other 2021 X5M Competition owners here to see if anyone might be local to me here in Seattle or could take pics and confirm that they do not see a white/grey box projecting onto the windshield that gets brighter as the car/HUD warms up.

Thanks in advance!
I'm curious as to which dealer told you this. I'm hoping it's not BMW Northwest as that's my dealer and I specifically went with them due to all the issues I had trying to buy my X7 from both BMW of Seattle and Bellevue.
Appreciate 0