BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Wiper Blades positioning for servicing/detailing

Hello all,

I'm new to cars which require a special adjustment to put the wiper blades at a position capable of being lifted up. I know the manual says I have to hold down the stork 3 seconds to put it into service mode, and hold it down 1 second to put it back into its normal position.

The issue I have with this is that it is dry scratching the windscreen 3 times (3 wipes) before I can get it into its servicing position to lift it up to clean. I could do a pre-wash first which will help. But far from ideal.

And it wipes once to go back into normal position. Again, after a clean, there might still be some water residue left on the blades, leaving a streak on the windscreen after just drying it.

Any way around this?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #2
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
Wash the car first, lift the wiper blades as much as possible and give them a wipe. Then put it in service mode, finishing washing and drying car, clean windscreen using glass cleaner and give wiper blades a clean using ipa solution. Once done and everything dry put it back to normal position.

That is what I do and I consider that to be slightly OTT. If you’re really worried about residue then buy a air blower and use that first before cleaning glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx3 View Post
Wash the car first, lift the wiper blades as much as possible and give them a wipe. Then put it in service mode, finishing washing and drying car, clean windscreen using glass cleaner and give wiper blades a clean using ipa solution. Once done and everything dry put it back to normal position.

That is what I do and I consider that to be slightly OTT. If you’re really worried about residue then buy a air blower and use that first before cleaning glass.
Thanks. I just bought a bottle of Stoners Invisible Glass. Planning on maybe giving the glass a final clean with that after the wiper blades go back down. And yes, I've decided to only put it in service made after doing a prewash. Feels much better that way
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Place a microfiber towel underneath the wiper blade insert, in order to prevent scratching and/or streaking (assuming the glass is fairly clean).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Place a microfiber towel underneath the wiper blade insert, in order to prevent scratching and/or streaking (assuming the glass is fairly clean).
That's an interesting idea. Would the wipers not flop off and continue moving, leaving the towel behind though given the higher friction where the towel is? The wipers on this car seem to move pretty quickly. Often have to duck for cover when i have the driver's door open while setting the wiper blades to servicing position. The foam gets flicked well over to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #6
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Try it. I only use the service mode for rare times when parked outside and expecting snow/ice (makes removal easier before driving off). For washing or detailing, I leave my wipers in their normal position and manually lift them as needed.
Appreciate 1
hiki08173.50
      05-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Try it. I only use the service mode for rare times when parked outside and expecting snow/ice (makes removal easier before driving off). For washing or detailing, I leave my wipers in their normal position and manually lift them as needed.
Thanks, will give it a try next time!
Appreciate 0