BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2022, 07:00 AM   #1
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Anyone had their x5 painted/re sprayed?

My x5 had some cosmetic damage and needed the two passenger doors to be painted. Afterwards there is minor orange peel as well as a lot of small rock chips and other scratches that have accumulated over time that I'm sick of looking at, so I'm about to have the entire car re sprayed to correct.

Anyone have experience with Maaco? I'm looking to get back the high gloss, mirror like finish the car had from the factory. They quoted about 2k for their highest quality paint which I thought was very inexpensive….can/will they do near perfect work at such a low price point?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
don't do Maaco. have you searched for a certified BMW shop around you or a high-end shop
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
don't do Maaco. have you searched for a certified BMW shop around you or a high-end shop
I will look into that this week. I was also looking at highly reviewed local paint shops but saw the maaco price and thought it was too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Hi sharkymcpeterson-I’d recommend looking at BMW-certified shop as well. Had the hood on our 2014 X5 repainted by a certified shop a couple years ago due to tree sap eating thru the clear. While the price was more than local body shop, the work performed on the hood was beautiful and worth the extra $ IMO. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood20 View Post
Hi sharkymcpeterson-I'd recommend looking at BMW-certified shop as well. Had the hood on our 2014 X5 repainted by a certified shop a couple years ago due to tree sap eating thru the clear. While the price was more than local body shop, the work performed on the hood was beautiful and worth the extra $ IMO. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the feedback. I might get just the hood and door with orange peel sprayed, was the shop able to create a perfect color match?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

It was a perfect match. My 2014 X5 had the Black Sapphire Metallic paint. They blended the new paint from the hood onto the front quarter panels as well to avoid any possible visual differences.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood20 View Post
It was a perfect match. My 2014 X5 had the Black Sapphire Metallic paint. They blended the new paint from the hood onto the front quarter panels as well to avoid any possible visual differences.
Mine is the same color, I'm glad to hear that.
Appreciate 0