BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
emfive
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Recent X6M production timeline

Does anyone else have a recent order on a 2021 X6M?

I got my production number late Jan/early Feb and it's showing only Order received but hasn't moved to scheduled for production. Mind you I had a individual color, Frozen Black as well. I called the Genius line over a week ago and some guy said mine was scheduled for Week 13 and he said we were in Week 9.

Curious what might be taking so long. Chip shortage? Not sure how individual colors affect production timelines or even start of production. I don't know how they structure the M variants on the production line.

Maybe this is also related to the recent intro of the X6M Competition trim line?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I ordered an x5m early feb and It is currently on its way to the dealer from the factory. I really wanted an individual color but I was quoted 60-90 additional days of production time which lines up closer to your week 13 estimated build date.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Individual colors take longer, I was told the factory has a special paint bay for individual colors that has to be thoroughly cleaned and set up each time a new individual paint color is sprayed. Unlike the chosen production colors which have their own paint bays and can just cycle through one after another. This also explains the addl cost for individual, the extra labor and prep time to paint one-off colors.
Appreciate 0