BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Project II - The Rolling Plex/Media Server

Because of my (((Relevant Username))), I've decided to take on project 2 of the G05 experience and build a rolling media server in the car for those extra long trips to Disneyland Paris, Italy, Athens, Prague, or wherever we decide to drive to over the next couple years. I'm planning on installing a stainless steel, latching button laser custom engraved with the wifi symbol in the gear shifter area on the poplar trim.

The plan is to use a Raspberry Pi 4, an external hard drive, a router, and iPads as a self-contained media intranet for the rear seat passengers. I tested this today on a Raspberry Pi 3 and it's 100% functionally possible. Waiting for about half the stuff to ship currently and the expensive parts in a couple weeks.

Basic premise - Use the stainless steel switch as an "on" switch to a power inverter connected to the rear battery. Power the router and Pi to run Plex on intranet in spare tire area (auto-log in, auto app-start). Mount and power iPads on the back of the seats. Every seat gets a headphone. Use rear 12v outlet for triple USB C headphone charging. Naturally, since my interior is the ivory white vernasca, everything should be as close a match as possible to the color.

---Request for aid---
If anyone can point me in the direction of a video, thread, or pictures where the interior trim on the dash or shifter is removed, i'd be forever grateful. I'm looking on realoem.com to help a bit but it's not giving me much. Either way, I'll test some trim when I'm ready to install and see where it goes.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebabies View Post
Because of my (((Relevant Username))), I've decided to take on project 2 of the G05 experience and build a rolling media server in the car for those extra long trips to Disneyland Paris, Italy, Athens, Prague, or wherever we decide to drive to over the next couple years. I'm planning on installing a stainless steel, latching button laser custom engraved with the wifi symbol in the gear shifter area on the poplar trim.

The plan is to use a Raspberry Pi 4, an external hard drive, a router, and iPads as a self-contained media intranet for the rear seat passengers. I tested this today on a Raspberry Pi 3 and it's 100% functionally possible. Waiting for about half the stuff to ship currently and the expensive parts in a couple weeks.

Basic premise - Use the stainless steel switch as an "on" switch to a power inverter connected to the rear battery. Power the router and Pi to run Plex on intranet in spare tire area (auto-log in, auto app-start). Mount and power iPads on the back of the seats. Every seat gets a headphone. Use rear 12v outlet for triple USB C headphone charging. Naturally, since my interior is the ivory white vernasca, everything should be as close a match as possible to the color.

---Request for aid---
If anyone can point me in the direction of a video, thread, or pictures where the interior trim on the dash or shifter is removed, i'd be forever grateful. I'm looking on realoem.com to help a bit but it's not giving me much. Either way, I'll test some trim when I'm ready to install and see where it goes.
This sounds like a very interesting project. May I suggest putting the button to activate your system in the center console? This way it won't take away from the aesthetics of the interior. This will pay dividends if you ever go to resell the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 01:53 AM   #3
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Subscribe
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #4
trythis
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

awesome project... looking forward toreading more about this.
question:
1) will you use the rasp as media server and router in one device? e.g. https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-all-...espoint/301713
2) is it possible to run this over the car's wireless??
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:06 AM   #5
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
This sounds like a very interesting project. May I suggest putting the button to activate your system in the center console? This way it won't take away from the aesthetics of the interior. This will pay dividends if you ever go to resell the car.
That's what i'm planning on doing. It would be ideal to have it on the top left corner of the trim piece by the start button. That way when I turn the vehicle off I can tap the wifi button too. I bought the X5 after 7 years of driving my wifes Mazda 2 around. I'll drive this car until the wheels fall off in 250,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:16 AM   #6
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trythis View Post
awesome project... looking forward toreading more about this.
question:
1) will you use the rasp as media server and router in one device? e.g. https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-all-...espoint/301713
2) is it possible to run this over the car's wireless??
1) No, not Raspbian (Raspberry Pi OS now). Ubuntu has an installer from the raspberry pi imager that has an app for plex media server. That's what I tested it on and it works well. I wont be running 4k but that's not a big deal to me since most of the videos for the kids are animated and the bandwidth/transcoding is a bit unnecessary.

2) It might be possible to run over the car wifi if you can get into the internal router. In theory, if every device is connected to the car, that would be the intranet we are looking for. Unfortunately, you would have to add the external hard drive to iDrive and have it recognized as a directory. From what i'm seeing, the 2021 had the internal hard drive removed. I wonder if the ports are still there for them, if so it would take some administrator privileages to get the external added to the computer directory. There's a lot of variables on the hard drive that I'm not too saavy on but that would be the hard part of the issue. The next hard part would be linking plex to the specific drive. That all depends on the interface of the "computer" inside the car. If it has some semblance of a standard operating system (linux, windows, mac), then it might take some extra doing to get plex to run on there. All-in-all, it's doubtful.

I'd have to do some of my cybersecurity mctrickery to figure "2)" out. I'll have a look and let you know. I'll link a separate thread if I can figure it out or reply if i can't get past the internal wifi router login screen (without breaking something).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 06:29 AM   #7
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
That's what i'm planning on doing. It would be ideal to have it on the top left corner of the trim piece by the start button. That way when I turn the vehicle off I can tap the wifi button too.
Just a thought..... you could wire the service into an accessory supply somewhere on the car so that it comes on with the ignition and goes off after ignition off. That way you wouldn't need to operate a dedicated 'ON/OFF' switch every time you entered or excited the car. The only downside is that your new system would operate every time you were in the car, even if its not being used.

I'd be tempted to install a hidden switch somewhere to isolate the supply if necessary for service and maintenance though.
      02-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #8
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Button spot ideas - inside center console next to USB charger and drivers side poplar trim. Here are some photos of the trim removal. For some reason I feel like I want to remove every piece of trim in the car.

I tried to remove the drivers side center console trim and saw some clips but i didn't want to mar the leather. It wasn't popping out like the rest of the trim.

The silver trim around the gear selector might be fused with the gear selector and didn't want to move. Again, didn't want to mar it. (ended up marring a bit anyway). It's in there. It's in there good.

I removed the center console storage interior trim. The USB charger inside there looks like it has a good spot for a "hidden" 1" push button. The clips were a bit painful to remove. It's supposed to come out in sequence (big piece screws, big piece pry at rear, big piece remove led from mount, remove side pieces pry at top, remove front piece pry at top, remove big piece). I removed the front piece first. Each piece has tabs that slide into the bottom piece.

I was poking around the little poplar wood piece and noticed that the HVAC on that side had a lot more give than the rest of the trim pieces. After figuring out you can remove the big white panel, two screws and a little wiggle removes that entire assembly. There looks to be enough room to install the switch on that poplar trim. This location is pretty ideal for wiring and is what i'm leaning towards at the moment. Australia just shipped the switch so i've got time to consider the options while the rest of the stuff comes in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ladra17.50
      02-15-2021, 06:54 AM   #9
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas63 View Post
Just a thought..... you could wire the service into an accessory supply somewhere on the car so that it comes on with the ignition and goes off after ignition off. That way you wouldn't need to operate a dedicated 'ON/OFF' switch every time you entered or excited the car. The only downside is that your new system would operate every time you were in the car, even if its not being used.

I'd be tempted to install a hidden switch somewhere to isolate the supply if necessary for service and maintenance though.
That's a good idea. I was trying to figure out how to do that. It would be very beneficial to have it turn on while the vehicle runs and eliminates me remembering to push the switch on/off. The problem is, I need to run a Pi4 at 3.5 amps, an externally powered external hard drive (current draw on the Pi exceeds spec), and a router.

So I need a power inverter to make everything work. I would have to wire in a 12v cigarette lighter somewhere in the car where the wire gauge could handle that wattage... I might be able to bridge or pirate the 12v from the rear of the car and mount a "new" one to a new location.

Thanks for getting this noggin joggin
Appreciate 1
Kas6379.50
      02-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Quote:

That's a good idea. I was trying to figure out how to do that. It would be very beneficial to have it turn on while the vehicle runs and eliminates me remembering to push the switch on/off. The problem is, I need to run a Pi4 at 3.5 amps, an externally powered external hard drive (current draw on the Pi exceeds spec), and a router.

So I need a power inverter to make everything work. I would have to wire in a 12v cigarette lighter somewhere in the car where the wire gauge could handle that wattage... I might be able to bridge or pirate the 12v from the rear of the car and mount a "new" one to a new location.

Thanks for getting this noggin joggin
You could go "old school" and use the 12v low power accessory supply to trigger a relay to switch the higher power requirements of your setup.

Car switches on - accessory low power supply energises relay - high power relay contacts "make" to switch system on.

That way you are isolating the low power capability of the accessory supply from the higher power demands of the Inverter, etc.
      02-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You could go "old school" and use the 12v low power accessory supply to trigger a relay to switch the higher power requirements of your setup.

Car switches on - accessory low power supply energises relay - high power relay contacts "make" to switch system on.

That way you are isolating the low power capability of the accessory supply from the higher power demands of the Inverter, etc.
I was doing some research and there needs to be a relay. I'll use a fuse tap to an unused accessory in the fuse box. Run that power to a relay and then to the switch. Run another power line and a ground line to a new 12v outlet in the spare tire area. 150 watt 3x outlet inverter plugged in to the 12v, enough to power the system.
Appreciate 1
Kas6379.50
      02-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
That's what i'm planning on doing. It would be ideal to have it on the top left corner of the trim piece by the start button. That way when I turn the vehicle off I can tap the wifi button too. I bought the X5 after 7 years of driving my wifes Mazda 2 around. I'll drive this car until the wheels fall off in 250,000 miles.
I meant in the storage compartment so you don't have to see it, but it looks like you're considering that location as one of your options.

If it were me I would want that button out of sight because no matter how good you make it look it will look like an aftermarket add-on and that will detract from how good the cabin of the X5 looks.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #13
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I meant in the storage compartment so you don't have to see it, but it looks like you're considering that location as one of your options.

If it were me I would want that button out of sight because no matter how good you make it look it will look like an aftermarket add-on and that will detract from how good the cabin of the X5 looks.
Yeah, I agree completely. It's going to be significantly harder to route the wiring (completely hidden) from the center console location but I think i can make that work.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #14
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
Button spot ideas - inside center console next to USB charger and drivers side poplar trim. Here are some photos of the trim removal. For some reason I feel like I want to remove every piece of trim in the car.

I tried to remove the drivers side center console trim and saw some clips but i didn't want to mar the leather. It wasn't popping out like the rest of the trim.

The silver trim around the gear selector might be fused with the gear selector and didn't want to move. Again, didn't want to mar it. (ended up marring a bit anyway). It's in there. It's in there good.

I removed the center console storage interior trim. The USB charger inside there looks like it has a good spot for a "hidden" 1" push button. The clips were a bit painful to remove. It's supposed to come out in sequence (big piece screws, big piece pry at rear, big piece remove led from mount, remove side pieces pry at top, remove front piece pry at top, remove big piece). I removed the front piece first. Each piece has tabs that slide into the bottom piece.

I was poking around the little poplar wood piece and noticed that the HVAC on that side had a lot more give than the rest of the trim pieces. After figuring out you can remove the big white panel, two screws and a little wiggle removes that entire assembly. There looks to be enough room to install the switch on that poplar trim. This location is pretty ideal for wiring and is what i'm leaning towards at the moment. Australia just shipped the switch so i've got time to consider the options while the rest of the stuff comes in.
Don't pry on the part with the shift lever, that part has two screws on the left and the right side under that carpeted side pieces on the center console. Only after removing them will the middle shift panel come out. You also removed the glove compartment pieces in reverse order. The piece that has the USB-C port should come out first, then the other piece that has the screws on the bottom comes out second.

That area would be your best bet for the switch that you are looking to install.

P.S. If you have ISTA + you can get all the repair schematics for the vehicle. It can be found here:

https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthre...ighlight=sedoy

Hope that helps.

Armando
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 12:55 AM   #15
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
Don't pry on the part with the shift lever, that part has two screws on the left and the right side under that carpeted side pieces on the center console. Only after removing them will the middle shift panel come out. You also removed the glove compartment pieces in reverse order. The piece that has the USB-C port should come out first, then the other piece that has the screws on the bottom comes out second.

That area would be your best bet for the switch that you are looking to install.

P.S. If you have ISTA + you can get all the repair schematics for the vehicle. It can be found here:

https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthre...ighlight=sedoy

Hope that helps.

Armando

I didn't even consider getting technician tools. Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Soon, it will begin
Attached Images

Last edited by threebabies; 02-26-2021 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: add a picture
Appreciate 2
TSMC55126.50
      04-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #17
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
How did it go?
      04-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #18
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

hit me up when you go on thr Prague trip
happy to help getting around
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:56 AM   #19
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
How did it go?
So I ran into a couple configuration issues with the setup. Hardware is installed and easy. You need a standard network router (for intranet), external hard drive (for media), and a raspberry pi (computer) acting as the server.

Configuration is the hard part. I installed Ubuntu on the RPi 4 that has a native plex server "app" installed on it. I linked the Plex server to my account and took the media from the external and threw it on there. In theory, the intranet should allow for the media to be pulled from the source if all usable devices are attached to the same wifi (tablets & pi).

Startup on Ubuntu is configured for automatic login. The Plex server app is configured to automatically start up. I've gotten the system to work a handful of times but every time i unplug the monitor and keyboard, the automation seems to stop working. I'm going to give it another try today and post some pictures of the setup.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #20
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Good effort OP. My X5 has the rear seat entertainment screens for which I use 1 TB usb C SSD with videos and music, mostly to keep kids engaged/entertained (i.e., to keep them quiet &#128512. I also have a Plex setup at home using Mac Mini and Synology NAS. Keeping an eye on your project to see how it goes.

By the way, there are relays with RF remotes that can connect/disconnect power, not sure if your setup turns on automatically. I use one of this wireless relay to turn on/off my dascams when the vehicle is not used for extended periods of time.

https://www.amazon.ca/eMylo-Channel-...YKXQE619ZF3NRV
      04-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #21
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Cool project man! I've got 3 small kids (3yo, 5yo & 5yo) myself so I know the struggle of long trips. I've solved it with 3 ipads and netflix pre downloaded content. For connectivity I've got a portable Huawai 4G router which functions as a hotspot in the car. I don't use the cars hotspot since the dataplans are ridiculously priced versus a unlimited data sim from any provider I choose.

First thing comes to mind when I read about rpi's. The sd cards fail after a couple of months. So if you use the external hd to both boot and play, you're good. If you use an sd card for booting, it will fail. Have you thought about a small synology with ssd disk? Connect it to a usb powered compact wifi router and you have an out of the box solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #22
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Have you thought about a small synology with ssd disk? Connect it to a usb powered compact wifi router and you have an out of the box solution.
QNAP NAS might work with rear seat entertainment screens because many of those NAS models have HDMI port out, physical remote, and plex app. However, not sure how much power it draws from an DC to AC inverter especially if something needs to be transcoded on the fly.

A remote controlled relay can turn NAS power on/off by sitting between inverter and NAS.